Old wood stove - would it be safe to use or ????

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by Lady Hunter, Jan 12, 2021.

1. HuntressOfLight

HuntressOfLight 12 pointer

Nov 23, 2019
    Guarding my lovely bluebirds
    Gorgeous! I would have it properly repaired before use and not permit just anyone to repair it, due to fire risk and depreciation in value. I would also have it properly inspected, prior to usage. I would contact Morso about all, first and foremost. They know their products better than anyone else and can best advise.

I personally did a fireplace repair, myself, only a few years ago and was amazed at how very quickly the heat demolished my well researched repair job.

2. Lady Hunter

Lady Hunter 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2009
    The 1BO models are old enough that Morso won't provide any information about them. From what I've found researching, they don't even respond to inquiries about the 1BO's.

3. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    I would not permit such to deter me and keep at them. Call them, instead of emailing and take names, as you do so. Explain that you have posted a photograph of their product online within the United States and that many have commented upon it, with one user suggesting that you call them. Their marketing department will see the value in all, and that department would be precisely where I would begin, for it all, lol. I am very interested in learning the year of that stove (and you should be too... older is better... 100 years is a true antique, collector wise... hold onto it and don't devalue via shoddy repair). Great piece. :):cool::)

4. Pretty dang cool unit that looks to be ahead of its time in design and efficiency. I’m sure you found this but for those who haven’t...

DC5F8036-279C-48FD-A7BE-C8BA79038764.jpeg

https://www.woodmanspartsplus.com/68/details/9609/1B-and-1BO/9895.html

barney likes this.
  5. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    Agreed mister.

6. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    How Restoration Affects Value of Antiques

Time takes a toll on all objects, including valuable antiques. In some cases, it makes sense to restore these items to their former beauty. However, improper antique restoration can decrease or even destroy the value of some pieces. Understanding which items you should have restored and who should do the restoration will save you from making a major mistake with your ancient treasures...

https://antiques.lovetoknow.com/about-antiques/how-restoration-affects-value-antiques

7. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    So do the arches act as heat exchangers?

8. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    When you call them and learn the year of that model, find out how many of that specific model (color, finish, etc.) they made, too, and how many were shipped to the U.S.

9. Lady Hunter

Lady Hunter 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2009
    That's what it says.... I know my SIL was using it to heat a big 2 story old drafty farmhouse outside of Carlisle approx 28 years ago.

muddhunter likes this.
  10. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    Shame that was torn down and especially over in such a pretty area of western Kentucky. I have always had a passion for old houses, falling in love with one of my first ones spied here in this area when just a very young child, during a visit with my father. I have never found that house again and presume that it must have been demolished, as well, unfortunately. It was surely civil war era and absolutely beautiful, two story as you mention and massive. There was something special about that particular old house set far off the road with vast land surrounding it. My father was always a workaholic and had his realtor license, doing such only part-time, but he still managed quite a bit. We were always house and land hunting, when merely driving about here and there. Good and wise that your elder preserved what he could for all of you as family heirlooms.

11. KYote-Krusher

KYote-Krusher 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2006
    South Central Kentucky
    LH, Run a pipe out the window and fire it up ... I'll bet it'll be just fine and if the hairline crack does cause a problem, have someone that knows what they're doing come over and braze it up.

You want to use it ... right? Not sell it or enter in the fair??

Really nice outfit, I'll bet you'll be happy you've got it. :)

EdLongshanks likes this.
  12. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    That’s awesome. I wonder if you could retrofit a blower kit somehows...without diminishing that things beauty. I’m jealous.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2021
  13. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    If she means Carlisle, as in Nicholas Co, that’s not in WKy more North Central with just a touch of Eastern Ky, but agree, I love those old farmhouses too. She might mean Carlisle Co though and that’s WKy. She’s in Anderson which is closer to Carlisle in Nicholas.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2021
    HuntressOfLight likes this.
  14. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    Put some Flex Seal on it! Good to go!

EdLongshanks likes this.
  15. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    High temp Rtv silicone? :D