Old wood stove - would it be safe to use or ????

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by Lady Hunter, Jan 12, 2021.

1. Lady Hunter

Lady Hunter 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2009
    Over 25 years ago, my SIL got a divorce and had to sell an old farmhouse near Carlisle. The new owners were going to tear the house down so my FIL removed everything he could from the house before closing. It all ended up in my basement... Most of it (baby bed, kid's swing set, old appliances, etc.) was used and/or sold off long ago but the biggest item is still downstairs & with the way things are going with the country & economy, it may be time to put it back into use.

It's a Morso 1bo woodstove imported from Denmark. Original cost was over $3000 from what we were told. It's a beautiful piece of work:

[​IMG]
    We've gone over it with a fine tooth comb & it's in perfect condition inside & out EXCEPT for a hairline crack in what are called the lower deck plates in the top portion:

[​IMG]
    The crack starts at the back of the cleaning cap on the right hand side & extends into the ornamental railing across the top of the stove.

We don't **think** it would affect the usability/safety of the stove but then we haven't used one in over 30 years.

Opinions?????

On a related note, does anyone know what all would be involved in installing it in our walkout basement & running a chimney pipe up the side of the house?

HuntressOfLight likes this.
  2. beauhunter41031

beauhunter41031 12 pointer

Jan 1, 2018
    Cynthiana, Ky
    If that deck plate is removable or it wasn’t a chore to load up whole unit I would probably have a local fab shop weld it. Don’t let the cast-iron scare you just take a mig to it

Talking about mounting and running stove pipe is fairly straightforward, getting the hole through the structure is the only challenge

3. Gforcetrivers

Gforcetrivers 12 pointer

Sep 23, 2016
    Burkesville
    I would do everything possible to fix it. I suppose you get a CO monitor and see if leaks!

drakeshooter and Lady Hunter like this.
  4. Lady Hunter

Lady Hunter 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2009
    The deck plate isn't removable but the whole arch piece comes off so we might be able to do that. Might take it along with us to the local welding shop & see what they say. We've gotta take our boat in anyway & have the trailer fender welded back on after we threw a tread & broke it loose...

5. JR in KY

JR in KY 12 pointer

Jan 25, 2006
    The Occupied South
    Won't be any problems the way it is, but since it is not being used I would just get it welded. Easy job.
    Beautiful stove by the way.

6. bowhunter269

bowhunter269 12 pointer

Nov 21, 2006
    Fisherville, KY
    Beautiful stove indeed !!

7. Nock

Nock 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2012
    Butler co
    Very beautiful stove. No problem to weld.

8. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    That thing is cool. Fix it and use it.

9. OLE RASPY

OLE RASPY 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2018
    Barren county
    I’ve welded cast before with a mig but it needs to be nickel rod. I have used blue max SS rods on it to. I’d say get it welded and use it. Looks good.
    If it’s in basement next to exterior wall then knock hole in wall and run pipe outside and up above your roof line.
    But don’t you have to contact INS company first. Guess you don’t unless something happens.

Nock likes this.
  10. OLE RASPY

OLE RASPY 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2018
    Barren county
    Forgot to add. Lot of shops will braze it to if it’s not much of it.

11. kyhunter99

kyhunter99 12 pointer

Dec 21, 2014
    Still in the kitchen Ky
    If you wanted to get it repaired i hope they dont do a rough looking job because thats a beautiful stove!

12. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    That is an awesome stove
    Build a fire in it an monitor the crack.
    It may work ok

13. Trapper Delk

Trapper Delk 10 pointer

Feb 10, 2020
    Central Kentucky.
    A good weld shop should do good job that it's not noticeable ,,, cool stove !

14. baknblack

baknblack 10 pointer

Jan 30, 2014
    Henry County
    It will probably burn fine as is but, as perty as it is I'd get it fixed so it doesn't get worse.

15. Nock

Nock 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2012
    Butler co
    Second on the nickel.

barney and Lady Hunter like this.