Old School vs New School

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Zforzachariah, Jul 17, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Zforzachariah

Zforzachariah Spike

Jul 7, 2017
    East BumbleF
    There is no doubt that technology and technological advances are great and can really make life easier. I love the trail camera. It helps me gauge what I have on the property and gives me incentive to hold off on a mature deer if I know they are around. With that being said, what are your takes on the other gadgets available in the hunting industry.

The new scent crusher bag, closet, truck adapter and ozonics. Does it work or just someone trying to make money?

Are you a believer in Scent lok or scent blocker or do you spray your hunting clothes and keep the wind in your face?

Do you like trail cameras or think it has hurt the hunting industry into becoming nothing but a who can kill the biggest deer?

the latest Sitka gear that costs $400 for a jacket and pants or your old trusty plaid flannel with a coat from your local Wal-Mart/Academy.

Buck grub, C'Mere Deer, BIG n J, do you rely on it to bring deer in, or do you hold out and wait for the natural food source/ or planted crops to supply your deer herd?

In general, do you think all this is just a huge marketing strategy to make money and not truly help your odds or do you think all this has made hunting easier to help your chances of bagging that pope and young/ B&C whitetail?

Trying to kill time until the bow opener! I know what works for me, just curious to see other opinions and success/failures with some of the points listed above

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
  2. kyduck1

kyduck1 6 pointer

Apr 9, 2012
    Personally I enjoy trail cameras as much as the hunting itself. I think it has improved the sport so much from a management position. I also enjoy the game of knowing what is out there and then cat and mouse. It's pretty amazing the survival skill of these critters.
    As far as clothing I think the new stuff is the real deal. When I started we layered up with three sets of clothes and cotton socks. Still got cold as crap and couldn't move from all the clothes. Now with the wool technology and better understanding of material we can wear less clothes and stay more comfortable and safe. I think prices are crazy for them, but that's the market and people pay for it. You can find cheaper alternatives if you do your research on layering technology though.
    Baiting strategy for me is early season salt and a small corn pile early to get an inventory. Maybe put some out for the first day of season and then I'll sporadically put more out. Every year I say I'm not doing the corn again and find myself doing it to get pics. However, I think it really hurts as the deer begin to pattern me and learn how to scent check the site thoroughly before coming into it.
    I wouldn't say that any of this makes it easier to bag a trophy animal, but I do think that it's allowed more deer to reach potential for being willing to pass up small antlered deer. I think overall the products have made the experience of hunting easier and more comfortable for hunters.

Teach Deer and Zforzachariah like this.
  3. Zforzachariah

Zforzachariah Spike

Jul 7, 2017
    East BumbleF
    I agree on the trail cameras. It has made hunting very chess like, even more than before.

IF you still get cold, buy the Polartec thermal long-johns from Cabelas... They are the warmest base layer I have ever worn. On 20 degree mornings, I can wear the top and bottom and wear a mid-season jacket and be warm.

4. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    The new scent crusher bag, closet, truck adapter and ozonics. Does it work or just someone trying to make money? Gimmicks in my opinion .... as no one can be odor free. Which I believe in reasonable care....being scent free soap / detergents for showering & clothes, avoiding touching every limb & bush as you walk to & from stands and simply playing the wind to the best of your ability.

Are you a believer in Scent lok or scent blocker or do you spray your hunting clothes and keep the wind in your face? The answer would be the same as above.

Do you like trail cameras or think it has hurt the hunting industry into becoming nothing but a who can kill the biggest deer? I've used trail cameras for probably 10 years now and play a roll more or less to take inventory during the summer. But I don't use what I'm seeing or not seeing as an indicator to hunt or not to that effect. Which I've seen guys get totally bummed out and not wanting to hunt just because their not seeing big bucks. Being....from my experience in the last 10 years running cams.... the majority of bucks we kill we don't have a single picture on cam. Changing food sources and the rut in general will bring bucks & opportunity every season..

That said.... cameras can be a really good tool or can be your worst nightmare. Its all in how you use them and expectations in general.

the latest Sitka gear that costs $400 for a jacket and pants or your old trusty plaid flannel with a coat from your local Wal-Mart/Academy. I believe as in most things you get what you pay for concerning hunting clothes & boots. Which not necessarily do they have to be the latest and most popular because of brand... but if you buy quality clothes & shoes... you will hunt more comfortable, longer & more often than with clothes that you freeze or wont repel the elements. I also say...with quality stuff... you will get more years of service which will equal out somewhat by spending more up front.

Buck grub, C'Mere Deer, BIG n J, do you rely on it to bring deer in, or do you hold out and wait for the natural food source/ or planted crops to supply your deer herd? I use natural food sources, food plots (clover) & run several mineral licks. But I do not supplemental feed corn or use any "attractants". Which I use to feed corn but stopped about 8-9 years ago. We see better bucks on camera and overall are harvesting bigger bucks since we stopped.

In general, do you think all this is just a huge marketing strategy to make money and not truly help your odds or do you think all this has made hunting easier to help your chances of bagging that pope and young/ B&C whitetail? Yes.... the majority is simply a marketing strategy ....which I don't mean this in a bad way but the adage a fool & his money will soon part ..applies to the hunting industry. Being man has hunted & killed animals since the beginning of time. Learning basic woodsmanship...hunt often & observe the critters you hunt. All the gimmicks on the market will never take place of experience afield that is priceless.

5. Zforzachariah

Zforzachariah Spike

Jul 7, 2017
    East BumbleF
    Well, I cant say that I disagree with a single thing you listed above. We have almost the same "mentality" for every point listed. Thanks for the input!

6. KY Swamp Beagler

KY Swamp Beagler 12 pointer

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of western KY
    I think it all comes down to what type of hunting experiences a person is looking for today. I think everyone needs to ask themself, "What outdoor experience do I value?" Then ask whether all of the trappings we tend to bring along with us as hunters make that experience more valuable or hinder it.

My hunting experience improved when I stopped worrying about killing a P&Y or B&C deer.

And make no mistake about it, it's definitely all a big marketing strategy to make money. But, we all realize that I think.

Zforzachariah likes this.
  7. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    We use trail cameras, but I hate them. They annoy me. My hunting buds are fixated on them and it drives me insane.

KY Swamp Beagler likes this.
  8. Zforzachariah

Zforzachariah Spike

Jul 7, 2017
    East BumbleF
    I think the problem with cameras is that people let it do the scouting and they don't anymore. Yeah, I run 7 cameras but I still scout and try to find out where I really think the deer are, what they are eating, etc... and then when they get fixated on just one giant that might have been spooked and just passing through, it often makes for a long season.

9. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    We do plenty of old school scouting. Promise. The camera only adds frustration.

KY Swamp Beagler likes this.
  10. Cornpile

Cornpile 12 pointer

Dec 1, 2006
    Kornfield County,KY
    Im old school mostly.Ive never owned a trail camera.I use a old tru talker
    deer call Ive had for years.I have had good luck with it calling deer in.
    That is about the only gadget I use.I have a set of insulated carhartt bibs and
    a matching heavy weight zip up hoodie.They are in the dark brown color and deer cannot seem to
    see you in them when you are leaning up against a tree.
    I do use corn and sweet feed as attractants during season. I try to get as many does coming around as
    I can,best big buck attractant on the market.LOL
    I mostly hunt gun seasons now on account of age and I hunt dawn to dark when I hunt.
    I dont use scents just try to play the wind if possible.
    I think most all gimmicks are money grabbers.
    Dont need them to kill a deer.....

Powerstro284 and Zforzachariah like this.
  11. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    I've been running trail cams for a few years. Will probably put my same 3 out. I enjoy looking at pics but don't hunt by them. I hunt the craziest, most unpredictable place ever so I could get a monster on trail cam and never see him again. Most of my clothes I take care of and have had for years. As far as name brand expensive stuff, I caught some UA fleece for cheap on eBay and treated myself as I got a little chilly last winter. They say age will do that to you. I love it but try not to break the bank over it.

12. Teach Deer

Teach Deer 8 pointer

Aug 4, 2013
    Georgetown
    Most of the stuff mentioned are gimmicks to me...EXCEPT the Thermocel (which is amazing)...

Good equipment (which does cost more) can be a game changer, especially footwear...my Danner boots are 15 years old and still the most comfortable footwear I own...I invested in a camo double coat (water resistant light outer shell + mid-weight inner coat = good for any temps with appropriate layering) and matching bibs--makes anything less than 45 degrees very comfortable (though a bit bulky)...

IMO For cold weather a good balaclava is a gold mine...it you can keep your head warm everything else stays comfortable...
    I also like the hand muff...I can use it with a handwarmer and my lightweight fingerless archery gloves even in bitter cold weather...​

I hunt nearly 100% public land...unless you are putting your cameras in elevated locations you are throwing money away...and obsessing over a "hit list" buck on a WMA when another hunter can plop down 50 yards away (it has happened to me before) or walk back and forth through the area is insane...

I do use scents though...most of the year I carry a can of "Buck Bomb" doe scent that I give a light spraying to the tree and leaves around my stand as a cover scent..."Buck Bomb" doe in heat/estrus sprayed on a drag rag and hung in a small tree 20 yards away from opening muzzleloader (still a bit early) through gun season has worked for me...the drag rag better than scent wicks...

Also grunt tube and rattlebag/antlers...can be magical at times and can scare them into the next county at others...thinking of trying the eliminator grunt call and blackrack system this year...the second largest buck I have seen in the wild (I missed it BTW) ignored my attempts to call in a nice 8 point for an hour but came crashing in within seconds when that 8 point and a similar sized 6 point buck locked up in a nice fight which ended with one snort-wheeze from the big ole boy (200+ lbs, perfectly symmetric 180+ class monster on a WMA)... :( I never saw him again...

13. EarlyBird1

EarlyBird1 8 pointer

Aug 4, 2014
    SouthCentral KY

14. luvtohunt

luvtohunt 10 pointer

Sep 1, 2011
    Eubank, Ky
    I'm kind of a mix I guess. I runa few trail cams, just to see what might be out there. Don't use theme like some do to track a specific deer. I enjoy the hunt so a fun hunt where I put in the time and am rewarded with a kill is all I need. I wear walmart camo, not the fancy scent control stuff but do practice scent control with soaps and detergents and wind and how I walk into my stand. I put out some mineral and a little corn each year to harvest a couple of does for meat and to get some pics at said cameras. I hunt mostly standing food supply or cut food supply close to rut as I feel cruising and chasing deer are more prevalently seen there. At least that's my experience where I hunt. To each is their own I guess.

15. Mob169"

Mob169" 6 pointer

Aug 14, 2010
    I don't scout. I don't run cameras during the season. I hunt funnels in November. I kill a buck every year that I'm happy with. Hunting is not hard. Killing what you shot at is most peoples problem.