Ol'Blue - UPDATE...

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by KY Swamp Beagler, Jan 7, 2016.

1. KY Swamp Beagler

KY Swamp Beagler 12 pointer

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of western KY
    Many of you guys know we lost three of our beagles on 12/6/15 when they ran a swamper across a deep creek on to private property we didn't have permission to access. We found two of them in the first week in the same area. Unfortunately, one of the older hounds never showed up. We had got the word out on Facebook, with flyers and by word of mouth. Blue has never been the greatest hound in the world, but I found myself relying on him more and more over the years as he doesn't have any quit and seemed to scrounge up rabbits when we needed a jump. He continued to exceed my expectations as I often times discounted his ability...

Hank had it right when he said a country boy can survive. After 30 days we finally found the old codger. He was around 5 or 6 miles from where we turned loose. He came up to a guy working on a tractor. He wouldn't let him catch him. The guy remembered we had a hound lost and was nice enough to give me a call.

Dad went to pick him up and told me "he looks like hell" but Blue was happy to be found.

KY has a lot to offer in the way of wildlife, but it also has some great people that are nice enough to take time out of their day to give a man a call about a lost hound. Mr. Todd, if you read this, I didn't get to shake your hand in person, but I sure appreciate you calling us about Blue.

Pound for pound Beagles are one tough little hound. Don't give up on a lost dog too quick. Their endurance and drive will surprise you...

Last edited: Jan 7, 2016
  2. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    That is great news. Thanks for the update.

3. GrouseAssasin

GrouseAssasin 12 pointer

Aug 1, 2009
    Jackson, ky
    Glad to hear you got him back.

4. Chilly

Chilly 10 pointer

That's great. To be honest, I figured you wasn't getting him back. Glad it ended the way it did.

5. KY Swamp Beagler

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of western KY
    When I told you a couple weeks back that I thought I'd found him it turned out to be a female beagle. Surprisingly some people can't tell the difference between a male and female. It was still worth a look.

Turns out he was at the exact opposite end of the bottoms where we were looking. We hunt both places.

6. rustyspinner21

rustyspinner21 Spike

Nov 11, 2010
    Northern Kentucky
    Always great to hear a happy ending-so glad you got him back. As you have stated, beagles are one tough little hombres!!

7. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    Great story...aside from losing him for a bit. Glad for you that you found him and I'm sure he's ecstatic to be home.

8. Drahts

Drahts 12 pointer

Apr 7, 2015
    KY
    Great news! Glad to hear!

9. cfd266

cfd266 8 pointer

Nov 29, 2003
    Evans Family Farm
    Glad to hear you got him back!

10. KY Swamp Beagler

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of western KY
    Dad checked on him this morning before leaving the house and said Blue was up telling him he's ready to go hunting.

Hopefully, it won't be a gully washer tomorrow...

11. GrouseAssasin

GrouseAssasin 12 pointer

Aug 1, 2009
    Jackson, ky
    Gully washer = torrential rain.

12. KY Swamp Beagler

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of western KY
    Exactly.

As for letting them rest after being lost it's probably a good idea. You just have to keep an eye on the hound and let his attitude dictate wether or not you hunt him. If the hound seems fun down you're better off resting them.

However, dad has always said if you keep your hounds tired you are less apt to have them screw around and they seem to stay focused more. Some of the best runs we've ever had on swampers is when dad and I took vacation for a week and hunted the hounds every day. They were all business.

13. Redlined

Redlined 12 pointer

Sep 23, 2005
    In The Tree Next To Ya
    This story makes me feel good, so glad you found him. Your pop is right, tired dogs will hunt more efficiently with much less shenanigans than hounds couped up and ready to blast off when you cut em loose.....

14. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    Holy cow! This is the best thing I've read in a while. That's great man. So happy for you.