Ok, serious question this time

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by wprebeck, Dec 14, 2018.

1. smashdn

smashdn 12 pointer

Nov 24, 2003
    Palmyra, Kentucky
    So, what's the project?

2. Big Snuff

Big Snuff Fawn

Nov 25, 2018
    North central ky
    I think he decided to do it on cranes that 98% of the people that waterfowl hunt dont give a hoot about. Typical biologist type, doesn't do anything that the common man waterfowl hunter would be interested in. He will make a nice addition to the KDFWR one day.

Meatstick likes this.
  3. wprebeck

wprebeck 12 pointer

Jun 7, 2004
    Louisville, KY.
    What you know about me could be written down on a paper napkin, with room ledt over for a Tolstoy novel.

In case you have problems with reading comprehension, I have to develop a project under time constraints. It needs to be done by April, which doesn't allow for the permits required for banding to be acquired. If that is too complicated for you, I can try and explain it in words of one syllable....maybe some grunts thrown in for emphasis.

Alternatively, I'm open to suggestions. Writing a white paper is a valid alternative, but boring as hell. I'd as soon try and get something done that is relevant to Kentucky. But, KDFWR isn't doing anything that I know of - at least, Brunjes isn't telling me, and I've asked.

If you have an issue with the quality of biologists at KDFWR, I'd suggest taking it up with your district commissioner. Paying the princely sum of ~ $30k per year to start doesn't exactly draw the best talent around. Other states pay much better, and the feds have a good pay scale, as well.

So, you can put your minds at ease...I've no intention of working for them. Not only does the pay suck, but being a member of CERS hazardous, I'd have to sit out 90 days before reemployment in any state system. I couldn't "double dip" and draw another pension, either. Plus, I make more now than a Wildlife Biologist IV. I can make a lot more in other states or with the feds.

Still, I'm open to suggestions that don't involve handling animals. Permits are mandatory, and I don't have time to obtain them.

Tman6493 likes this.
  4. Big Snuff

Big Snuff Fawn

Nov 25, 2018
    North central ky
    I give you a compliment and say you will make a nice addition to KDFWR and you take it the wrong way. Also, I dont know anything about you and I dont need too. I have learned enough from reading your post.

Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

5. B.M. Barrelcooker

B.M. Barrelcooker 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2006
    Aintry,Ky
    Why don’t you do a creel survey on Floyd’s fork and analyze catch and release vs harvest and angler satisfaction?

Meatstick likes this.
  6. wprebeck

wprebeck 12 pointer

Jun 7, 2004
    Louisville, KY.
    File that one under "backhanded compliments", then. Kinda like "Good to hear you've stopped beating your wife" type of thing.

7. wprebeck

wprebeck 12 pointer

Jun 7, 2004
    Louisville, KY.
    Cause it's not a fisheries management certificate?

8. smashdn

smashdn 12 pointer

Nov 24, 2003
    Palmyra, Kentucky
    Prevalence of possums as a by-catch while coon hunting.

9. Marsh CallUser

Marsh CallUser 12 pointer

May 20, 2011
    Bowling Green, KY

I laughed.

10. Marsh CallUser

Marsh CallUser 12 pointer

May 20, 2011
    Bowling Green, KY
    If you really wanted to do a deep dive study... you could do an impact study of spinners on waterfowl behavior. Has the average age of birds increased? Have average annual bird harvests increase/decreased?

I believe the only study on them was done in Minnesota.

No sarcasm in this post. It is something to consider.

11. bigpuddin43

bigpuddin43 12 pointer

Feb 21, 2007
    bucktown
    or the effects of a polar vortex on migration. A little bird told me we might get one in January.

bondhu likes this.
  12. Bowfinger

Bowfinger 8 pointer

Nov 3, 2015
    In a Concrete Submarine
    Thermal Barriers and the effects on migrating waterfowl was all the rage a couple years ago.

KDT