Ok, serious question this time

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by wprebeck, Dec 14, 2018.

1. wprebeck

wprebeck 12 pointer

Jun 7, 2004
    Louisville, KY.
    I'm working on a capstone project for my graduate certificate in wildlife management (and hoping to move on to a master's this spring, but that's not relevant right now), and was wondering if some of you all would be willing to help.

I've got to get final approval, but part of what I'm thinking about doing would include a survey of those who were selected for the crane tags, and hunter success/days hunted type of thing.

Could I get any serious support for that from you guys? I will be contacting Brunjes for other stuff, but would anyone be willing to do something like this?

2. Big Snuff

Big Snuff Fawn

Nov 25, 2018
    North central ky
    Ok, serious answer:

I would prefer you do your project on some sort of waterfowl banding. If your going to go through the trouble of doing a capstone type project, at least do something the rest of us can benefit from. Thanks in advance.

3. Marsh CallUser

Marsh CallUser 12 pointer

May 20, 2011
    Bowling Green, KY
    Big Snuff does have a point.

If I drew Crain tags, I would definitely help. If you switch to a banding project, let me know. I can help you with some local guys in the bowling green area that band wood ducks.

4. wprebeck

wprebeck 12 pointer

Jun 7, 2004
    Louisville, KY.
    Timing is the issue on banding. I'll be working on the project from now til around April. Can't band during hunting season. Plus, there are permits that have to be obtained from USFWS and KDFWR, along with IACUC approval.

I had an idea for a wood duck study, and Brunjes told me permit approval is running around six months for USFWS, so that eliminates any handling of animals - alive or dead.

The survey is only one part - I am looking at researching the eastern population of cranes in its entirety and using a hunter survey as only a part of the project. There is some evidence that specific agricultural changes has an effect on crane populations. Those practices are in widespread use here in Kentucky. I'm planning on including TN and IN in the project, as well. One of my professors knows the TN waterfowl biologist - had him as a grad student - so that's an easy enough contact. I've got to find out the IN person, as well.

I'm only in the beginning phase of planning this thing, and it will likely undergo several iterations before a final project is set. I'd prefer to do more with ducks, but timing simply won't allow for that.

If I get accepted to the MS program, I'll start working on something with ducks. Honestly, I need some research that I can publish - planning on working in wildlife biology for my next career, and with no experience in the field, I'm at a huge disadvantage. Being a published author prior to completing my master's would help tremendously. It'd have to be something with birds that breed here - maybe resident honkers, mallards, or woodies.

I'm open for (serious) suggestions, though. I emailed my advisor about the crane proposal, and am waiting on a reply.

Capttrae likes this.
  5. Meatstick

Meatstick 10 pointer

Oct 25, 2013
    Washington County
    Never known anyone to put in for a crane tag and not get it. A few of us always do, but we also take a weekend to target and kill them. We'll either find them in Boston/E-Town/Hodgenville, or go to Barren. Anyone with a tag and a truck should fill their crane tags around here

6. wprebeck

wprebeck 12 pointer

Jun 7, 2004
    Louisville, KY.
    Only ever been one killed in Nelson County. I reviewed all the Telecheck data last weekend - 98% of kills are in Barren, and I think the overwhelming majority of those are private land.

7. Marsh CallUser

May 20, 2011
    Bowling Green, KY

They are. There are very very few public land birds killed.

8. wprebeck

wprebeck 12 pointer

Jun 7, 2004
    Louisville, KY.
    I dug thru the data last week, and charted it....it's terrible for public land hunters.

9. Marsh CallUser

May 20, 2011
    Bowling Green, KY
    Honestly, that's the reason why I don't put in for tags. They sit on the Refuge and then fly out to some private corn fields to feed then fly back to the Refuge. There's some guys that know the flight pattern and will sit on a ridge and Sky bust a few but that's about it.

10. wprebeck

wprebeck 12 pointer

Jun 7, 2004
    Louisville, KY.
    Only reason we put in at all, is because we had three strays fly directly over our layout blinds season before last. They were well within shooting range, but with no tags...

11. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    I haven't put in for tags either. No where to hunt them so why throw away the money. If I had a place or they start showing up around here. Then I would get tags.

12. Capttrae

Capttrae 12 pointer

Apr 2, 2012
    That’s why I put in this year.

13. Rob DeHaven

Rob DeHaven 10 pointer

Apr 19, 2006
    on the road
    I put in for 2 years and killed them those 2 years. I would decoy them using layout blinds in LaRue county. Pretty cool when they lock up and sail in. Haven’t put in since. I do have a dozen silhouettes that have never been hunted over if anyone wants to buy them.

14. wprebeck

wprebeck 12 pointer

Jun 7, 2004
    Louisville, KY.
    How much?