Oily substance coming out of hide.

Discussion in 'Taxidermy' started by kyjohnky, Jul 31, 2020.

1. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    it's amazing how much moisture our basement dehumidifier pulls out of the air. That being said, we've had several mounts in the basement for years with no problems.

OLE RASPY and kyjohnky like this.
  2. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

Same here. Guess I'll go check mine but the humidity can get really high. I can fill a dehumidifier on a daily basis.
    That being said, there are two mounts down there that have been hanging since 1999 and I haven't noticed any moisture on them but now I'm curious. Don't really look at them closely.

3. kyjohnky

kyjohnky 6 pointer

Dec 23, 2014
    I put out 2 damprid,supposed to collect moisture from air. I started looking at dehumidifiers.Its got about a half a cup full of water in it for being out a day.

4. kyjohnky

kyjohnky 6 pointer

Dec 23, 2014
    I really don’t understand,I have 2 now that feel like you sprayed with a water hose.But rest are dry.

5. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

Very odd. Were they illegal deer? :D

6. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

Just rubbed a few patches of hair and no moisture......still referring to my mounts.

7. kyjohnky

kyjohnky 6 pointer

Dec 23, 2014
    They are all legal lol

8. aaronc

aaronc 12 pointer

Jul 21, 2009
    Leitchfield
    Some form of this to me is what you got going on. Not exactly sure what type of tan was used by the taxidermist,..but hide preservation is a finicky thing,..especially anything in house. You have a number of deer heads hanging there,..when they come out of whatever solution they were in the salt content and PH levels would vary from one to another,..so if they all don't do it,..or if more did I wouldn't be surprised either way. Big J is right as usual with anything deer head related,..hides don't like to be wet,.hair will eventually slip. I'd get a dehumidifier running down there or move them upstairs. Good luck.

kyjohnky likes this.
  9. clovis67

clovis67 6 pointer

Aug 16, 2008
    I know that the basements humidity is most likely a factor...When humid conditions are present ...deer hides /hair will start to feel damp to the touch.