Oily substance coming out of hide.

Discussion in 'Taxidermy' started by kyjohnky, Jul 31, 2020 at 9:40 AM.

1. rockhousehunter

rockhousehunter 10 pointer

Oct 18, 2013
    West Liberty, Ky
    That or possibly some sort of dripping from duct work I see in some pictures. I think something is dripping onto the mount and running down and out the brisket area because of gravity, that would be the logical spot for drip.

barney likes this.
  2. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    Yea, after 9 years everything in the mount has to be dry. Maybe a taste test someone could have spilled Mountain Dew on it.

3. BULL MOOSE

BULL MOOSE 6 pointer

Dec 13, 2001
    Cartersville, GA, USA.
    Are you sure it is not bugs and larva? I have no idea.

You have a lot of nice racks and a ton of money invested.

4. wv67

wv67 12 pointer

Dec 19, 2017
    Southern wva
    I was thinking duct work also , I see it looks metal , if it is and you are running air conditioner and it’s not insulated it will sweat ,

5. kyjohnky

kyjohnky 6 pointer

Dec 23, 2014
    It’s not the duct work,check everything around it and it’s dry as a bone. I have another doing the same thing.Its like it’s sweating yellow greasy liquid.

6. kyjohnky

kyjohnky 6 pointer

Dec 23, 2014
    It’s not mt dew,it’s a greasy and thick.

barney likes this.
  7. wv67

wv67 12 pointer

Dec 19, 2017
    Southern wva
    Glue breaking down maybe

kyjohnky likes this.
  8. aaronc

aaronc 10 pointer

Jul 21, 2009
    Leitchfield
    It's hard to believe it's anything to do with the mount after all these years....but if you've checked everything else then you have. Long as there not stinking I suppose I'd just wipe them down and clean them up as it does it until it's run it's coarse. Nice pile of horn there.

barney likes this.
  9. nontypical2002

nontypical2002 6 pointer

Feb 26, 2006
    The substance your describing sounds like the oily liguid you find when you take the lid off of a gallon of hide paste. Until you stir it up there's always a yellow oil looking substance laying in the low spots. It's just hard to believe after all this time your mounts are doing this. Did the same guy do all of your mounts? Did the same guy do the 2 that you're having trouble with?

10. AndySchulte

AndySchulte Fawn

Jun 18, 2020
    Louisville, Kentucky
    I’ve tanned a few deer hides before, and it’s common for the fur to still feel “oily” after the process is finished. It’s just excess from the tanning process and won’t hurt the hide any. Apparently saw dust will get it off.

If it’s new though, then I have no clue. I’d think if it were going to rot, it would have done so before now.

kyjohnky likes this.
  11. kyjohnky

kyjohnky 6 pointer

Dec 23, 2014
    Yes the same guy,Ik it sounds crazy.But it’s not moisture from the duct work or bugs.Its coming out of the hide.

12. Big Jo

Big Jo 6 pointer

Nov 27, 2011
    Stearns, Ky
    After reading everything here I’am not Exactly sure what caused this. But, I have had similar situations where Deerheads were dripping water due to the fact that where they We’re placed in the Basement. A Basement sometimes creates a lot of moisture. Especially when a dehumidifier is not used. I have seen an entire Shoulder mount deer soak & wet especially when the humidity is extremely high for a long period of time. A hide can only last so long when saturated with water & then the hair begins to fall out.
    I suggest that you take this mount and hang it upstairs in your home just to see if it dries up. Try it for a month or so.

13. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    Ky
    Joe I was going to respond in a similar fashion but I think this is only happening to one of his 20 or so mounts in the picture. That gave me pause but it’s possible the others are well on their way to having the same problem.

14. bearleft

bearleft 6 pointer

Mar 16, 2014
    La Grange KY
    Copied and pasted not mine..."It is often difficult to find a suitable site for the salting and storage of hides. Adequate drainage must be provided, since they will drip liquid for a few days after the initial salting. In high humidity, salted skins will accumulate moisture out of the air and can begin dripping all over again".

Trophyspike and barney like this.
  15. Trophyspike

Trophyspike Spike

Feb 24, 2015
    Cave City
    Get it out of the basement and mount for all to enjoy (in the AC).