Ohio Turkey hunting limit reduction???

rockhousehunter

12 pointer
Oct 18, 2013
West Liberty, Ky
I've heard some buzz about a 1 bird limit in KY this coming spring
If it means getting our numbers back where they should be I'd be ok with that. I sure wouldn't love it though lol. Good thing for me is I hunt with my two boys and dad. So I can be there for the deaths of 4 for sure even if its one bird. Year before last we killed 7 of 8. This year we only killed 3 of 8 but I had one trying to climb my face, running 40mph dead at me and missed the stupid thing at 5 yards. I guess my pattern was big as a quarter at that distance, didn't even knock a feather out and shot my gun empty. That ole 835 with 3.5's ran back to back to back isn't fun, damn turkey went home and told his family he killed me.

RLWEBB

12 pointer
Nov 30, 2005
Staffordsville, KY
Turkey hunting is my favorite of all hunting. I’m fine with a 1 bird limit. Heck I wouldn’t even mind shutting it down for a couple of years if it helped. Where I hunt, I’ve noticed no reduction in birds but I know that this is an anomaly. I’ll gladly sacrifice now for a better future for the Wild Turkey.

rockhousehunter

12 pointer
Oct 18, 2013
West Liberty, Ky
Turkey hunting is my favorite of all hunting. I’m fine with a 1 bird limit. Heck I wouldn’t even mind shutting it down for a couple of years if it helped. Where I hunt, I’ve noticed no reduction in birds but I know that this is an anomaly. I’ll gladly sacrifice now for a better future for the Wild Turkey.
I can't make up my mind. Seems like in the spring I definitely like turkey hunting the best but in the fall my mind swings to me liking deer hunting better. If you put a gun to my head, I still just don't know. We have noticed some reduction in numbers where we hunt. Not enough that we noticed it could be a regional thing, more of, just a typical cyclical up and down turkey numbers from year to year. I agree though Webb, whatever it takes for the future for our turkey is fine.

Ezelkyhunter

10 pointer
Nov 28, 2013
If it means getting our numbers back where they should be I'd be ok with that. I sure wouldn't love it though lol. Good thing for me is I hunt with my two boys and dad. So I can be there for the deaths of 4 for sure even if its one bird. Year before last we killed 7 of 8. This year we only killed 3 of 8 but I had one trying to climb my face, running 40mph dead at me and missed the stupid thing at 5 yards. I guess my pattern was big as a quarter at that distance, didn't even knock a feather out and shot my gun empty. That ole 835 with 3.5's ran back to back to back isn't fun, damn turkey went home and told his family he killed me.

That last sentence made me laugh out loud. For real.

RLWEBB

12 pointer
Nov 30, 2005
Staffordsville, KY
I can't make up my mind. Seems like in the spring I definitely like turkey hunting the best but in the fall my mind swings to me liking deer hunting better. If you put a gun to my head, I still just don't know. We have noticed some reduction in numbers where we hunt. Not enough that we noticed it could be a regional thing, more of, just a typical cyclical up and down turkey numbers from year to year. I agree though Webb, whatever it takes for the future for our turkey is fine.
I’m always thinking about and looking forward to turkey season. I just love it.

carnivore

12 pointer
Nov 17, 2007
Ky
Im considering sitting this season out. only heard 3 gobblers last season on my property and 2 in estill county on my buddy’s property. Hope this year’s poults do well. So far so good.

Trapper Delk

12 pointer
Feb 10, 2020
Central Kentucky.
I love me some turkey hunting, but went through a stretch of few years tagging out on 2nd morning and driving by seeing trucks parked wishing I hadn't shot one. Now if I get to sit watch sun rise and hear the kings of the woods come alive, I'm satisfied!
One turkey is fine with me. its not about tagging out anymore... Plus crappie is getting hot bout that time lol

Bee

10 pointer
Mar 14, 2005
Im guessing a 1 bird KY spring limit would eliminate maybe half the OOS hunters...when it gets close to $200 a bird for an OOS guy not many will pay it IMO.

CHL

10 pointer
Jul 14, 2008
Central KY
Seems like it just depends on where/what county you hunt in. We killed six gobblers on our lease and heard a whole lot of gobbling through first two weeks of season. But if they decide to drop the bag limit then I guess we’ll comply.

Latest posts