Ohio River Flooding...

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by Hoosier Sasquatch, Feb 17, 2019.

1. Hoosier Sasquatch

Hoosier Sasquatch 6 pointer

Sep 11, 2017
    Madison, Indiana
    ...Not terrible yet, but with more rain on the way I'm afraid it might not have anywhere to go...

2. Marsh CallUser

Marsh CallUser 12 pointer

May 20, 2011
    Bowling Green, KY
    It is about to get very bad this week.

Hoosier Sasquatch likes this.
  3. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

Lot of water headed your way and they are calling for a lot more this week. Stay safe.

4. KY Swamp Beagler

KY Swamp Beagler 12 pointer

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of western KY
    Forecast changed down here. She’s coming up. Two years in a row that we’ve seen late February flooding.

5. Hoosier Sasquatch

Sep 11, 2017
    Madison, Indiana
    I personally am out of harms way but I worry for the riverfront crowd. We had a very similar stretch of wet weather last year with heavy rain hitting an already swollen river. Madison and Milton had quite a bit of damage. Much more and I'll be worried for our folks down by the river.

6. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

That's good to know. My baby Sister was born in Madison and I have hunted just north of there several times at JPG when it was JPG and BO afterwards. Lived for a while at Bedford, Ky.

7. Hoosier Sasquatch

Sep 11, 2017
    Madison, Indiana
    It's a good area, with lot of good folks. Must be because it's close to Ol' Kentuck. ;)

Big Oaks is an interesting place, full of abandoned homeplaces and the ghosts of the cold war. A very rare collection of 50,000 mostly wooded acres too. Thank the good Lord for unexploded ordinance!

8. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

They told us on one hunt to not touch any metal and if we could try and remember where we seen any at. So it could be marked on a map at headquarters. The one area I was in was littered with unexploded shell's. Due north of the impact zone. I just drew them a circle around one large area and told them to be careful when walking there. A old what look to be a tank trail ran west of where we parked and it was near the end of that trail. Some super bucks came out of that place the years I hunted there.

9. Iceman35

Iceman35 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2008
    Boone County
    In this day and age, I do not understand people WANTING to live on the river. At all. Near work, just off I-275 on the Ohio side, they are building brand new townhouses, not 20 feet from the river. Brand new, not behind any flood wall, right on the river. Why? It boggles my mind that anyone would want to live right on the countries second longest drainage ditch, that floods EVERY year, watching coal barges sail by.

10. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

It is all about the view IMO. They don't think about floods and some developers don't let be known they are in a flood plain and insurance is not cheap if even available.

11. Blood River

Blood River 6 pointer

Nov 7, 2006
    West Bank of Ky. Lake
    Beings Nashville is picking up so much rain tonight and tomorrow, I wonder how that will effect the rivers on this end of the state. I've heard Paducah has their flood gates installed and I've seen where the dams have been dumping water out for days now. Seems like they're going to need to start holding some back, or am I wrong?

12. KY Swamp Beagler

KY Swamp Beagler 12 pointer

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of western KY
  13. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

Kentucky lake is letting enough water thru the dam each day for every person on earth to have 21 gallon a day. That's the report I read today. And 3 more inches over the next couple days suppose to hit.

14. FOWLER2671

FOWLER2671 12 pointer

Sep 11, 2009
    Evicted from Aintry'
    The lenders know all about flood zones. Many areas were re adjusted after the big Nashville flood. Some homes were under contract then the banks discovered the update flood zone encompassed the home= Loans turned down.

15. Iceman35

Iceman35 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2008
    Boone County
    I just talked a to a couple over at a Christmas party that bought a house from a bank in foreclosure. The bank failed to disclose that the house was in a flood zone. That bank ended up paying a lot of extra to them and their insurance company because they didn't do basic research and paperwork.

FOWLER2671 likes this.