Ohio county deer

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by camclo01, Nov 9, 2017.

1. camclo01

camclo01 6 pointer

Oct 11, 2010
    louisville, KY
    hey guys

I know we don’t always share a lot of information on deer herds and such in counties (due to the fear of giving up valuable info) but i am looking at buying about 85 acres in Ohio county of which all but 1 acre is woods

I am looking for some honest opinions on the deer herd there and if it is worth buying a farm there 2 hours away from my home in Louisville

If you don’t mind Giving me input if you know much about or currently hunt in Ohio county that would be great.

If you don’t know want to share in the thread in fear of Out of Staters please pm me

Thanks in advance

2. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    Uh, if you can afford to buy any land in that area I think it's worth it. 2 hrs is nothing for all the fun and memories you'll gain.

carbonhunter and camclo01 like this.
  3. camclo01

camclo01 6 pointer

Oct 11, 2010
    louisville, KY
    Thanks. Is he herd decent there. I currently lease in Hardin County but really want a place of my own

i am also looking at place in Henry, Trimble, and carrol as they are closer to home but the price is a lot more for the same acreage

4. Johndeere9500

Johndeere9500 Fawn

Sep 17, 2017
    Northern ky

5. Johndeere9500

Johndeere9500 Fawn

Sep 17, 2017
    Northern ky
    What particular area in Trimble county? Could tell you about deer population if I new the area you were interested in, I know the county pretty well

6. camclo01

camclo01 6 pointer

Oct 11, 2010
    louisville, KY
    The property in Trimble is in the Bedford area

7. camclo01

camclo01 6 pointer

Oct 11, 2010
    louisville, KY
    Now come on guys. I have seen quite a few of you post that you were hunting in Ohio county this past week

Help me out :)

Don’t make me call you out lol just kidding

Thanks in advance

8. supergoat80

supergoat80 10 pointer

Aug 31, 2012
    If I could buy property there I would. Always seems to be a great producing county.

9. itstherush

itstherush 6 pointer

Sep 19, 2010
    Grayson co
    The ohio county heard is plentiful Hunted it several times. Seen nice deer, along with some trophys. Seems like good balance of local crops and woods to create a good deer herd. Genetics are there and so is the healthy doe population. But the worst thing about Ohio county Deer are the hunters. Most are ethical and good guys. But there are ALOT of them. 95% weekend warriors, hunting opening and following weekend, shooting the first 1.5 year old as their own trophy, very few are managing property. If you want to shoot a B&C deer there, just prepare to be quick to shoot and early to the stand. Deer change habits there like the wind, due to the flood of ATV;s and orange vests ridiing about. Isolation will provide more opportunities than a good herd, or genetics. It seems every turn off and barn lot has a truck and trailer waiting for the hunters to return. I wouldn't say there are more poachers, or un-sportsman hunters there more so than any where else. There are just more hunters, because of the good herd. Very few are dedicated hunters, and most just gunhunt the weekends and late ML. I hate being member of the orange army myself, but the army is in full march in Ohio, and Grayson counties. IMO, these are more hunter rich than any other counties in the state. just my .02

carbonhunter likes this.
  10. camclo01

camclo01 6 pointer

Oct 11, 2010
    louisville, KY
    Appreciate the feedback

11. Giveem3outdoors

Giveem3outdoors 12 pointer

Jan 18, 2009
    ohio county ky