October 1st Roll Call

xbokilla

12 pointer
Jun 28, 2012
Not sure if walking 200 yards and climbing a ladder would be considered strenuous. I would have a small hill to climb coming out.
Don’t climb for a few days. Sit in a blind if anything. Ladders can do weird things with the arch of your foot, etc… Lots of Plantar Fasciitis issues are caused by ladders/Step ladders, wouldn’t trust it with clots.

bgkyarcher

12 pointer
Aug 23, 2011
BG
Don’t climb for a few days. Sit in a blind if anything. Ladders can do weird things with the arch of your foot, etc… Lots of Plantar Fasciitis issues are caused by ladders/Step ladders, wouldn’t trust it with clots.
I'm a weekend warrior, so won't go until next weekend for sure.

FF/EMT516

10 pointer
Nov 22, 2020
Caneyville, Ky
Went this morning as posted. Got busted as posted. But then about 45 mins a doe came from the same direction I heard one blowing so I assume the same deer and instead of going straight to the corn like I assumed (because I’m not a real hunter) she went straight down into the woods and made a partial wide circle and looked at me and started blowing. Another that I noticed was with her ignored her blowing and then finally trotted off. Second time I’ve been winded in this stand this week. Going in at 8pm tonight for a 36 hour shift and then again Wednesday for another so I won’t be back for a while but next time I plan on putting my blind back up down there.

DH13

12 pointer
Jan 13, 2012
Shelby county
Got out there first time this evening. Felt good to go. Seen 4 Doe eating acorns. Fed all evening around me. Had me thinking didnt want to run them out getting down. 10 minutes before dark they left.

Cole505

6 pointer
Sep 6, 2016
Lagrange
Had my first sit tonight. 2 longbeards strolled right past me. And with about 20 min of daylight left out pops a nice 9 I have pics of. Was about 65 yards from me but went on down away from me. Didn’t even try to grunt at him.
I’ll take it as a first sit all day long.
Felt good to be back at it.

Last edited:

Little FR

12 pointer
Nov 10, 2021
West Kentucky
I still haven't been yet. I hope to go my next days off just to get the juices flowing. I still have a lot of spotted fawns on cam so I'm not ready to shoot a doe yet. Maybe in a couple more weeks.
Just shoot the fawns, what I do, thataway they don’t suffer.
Thats a good shot, if thats the dot, you were shooting at, not so much, if it wasnt. Lol
Come on Gary… with the $ I have in these bolts, and the time I put in… if that was a lucky shot, I quit 🤣.
Had my first sit tonight. 2 longbeards strolled right past me. And with about 20 min of daylight left out pops a nice 9 I have pics of. Was about 65 yards from me but went on down away from me. Didn’t even try to grunt at him.
Ive been carrying my grunt tube as well, can’t wait till I can transition from these short fast grunts to some neck swelling battle cries 😉.

woodsman92

10 pointer
Feb 16, 2019
Russell Co
See if you had a crossbow that would of been a dead buck lol

Sorry I couldn’t resist

WildmanWilson

12 pointer
Dec 26, 2004
Western Ky.
Just shoot the fawns, what I do, thataway they don’t suffer.
Back in the day, when I was a blood thirsty savage, Id shoot about anything. I always shot a young one as soon as the spots would fade.

Now, as I got older, I can't bring myself to shoot a young one or a doe with young that are too small. I think many of us are like that as we age. Its not about the kill like it once was. I guess we just get more emotional as we age.

DH13

12 pointer
Jan 13, 2012
Shelby county
Back in the day, when I was a blood thirsty savage, Id shoot about anything. I always shot a young one as soon as the spots would fade.

Now, as I got older, I can't bring myself to shoot a young one or a doe with young that are too small. I think many of us are like that as we age. Its not about the kill like it once was. I guess we just get more emotional as we age.
Same here. Plus I dont eat as much Deer I we use to. Just me and wife now. Kids grown moved out now with kids. No need to take more Deer than I need. 1 Deer will do me a year.

Little FR

12 pointer
Nov 10, 2021
West Kentucky
Its not about the kill like it once was. I guess we just get more emotional as we age.
I can kill all the mature deer I want.

If I shoot a doe and a really small fawn comes running out with a sad look on its face, I just go ahead and eat it too.

Fawns are weaned at 70 days. They lose their spots at 90-120 days.

Shooting a buck fawns mother holds that buck on your property.

WildmanWilson

12 pointer
Dec 26, 2004
Western Ky.
I can kill all the mature deer I want.

If I shoot a doe and a really small fawn comes running out with a sad look on its face, I just go ahead and eat it too.

Fawns are weaned at 70 days. They lose their spots at 90-120 days.

Shooting a buck fawns mother holds that buck on your property.
I’m not saying it’s wrong. I’m saying I don’t like doing it anymore. I can just wait a little longer to fill the freezer.

Latest posts