Oak Logs

Discussion in 'D.I.Y.' started by Snareman2, Aug 17, 2019.

1. Snareman2

Snareman2 12 pointer

Feb 25, 2007
    My neighbor logged earlier this year. I noticed a storm had come through and blew over a couple of my oaks. Anybody ever Do It Yourself logging? If I get my tractor back there to get them out, how long should I cut the logs? If I get them on my trailer, do Sawmills buy from individuals? Thank you!

2. bigbonner

bigbonner 12 pointer

Aug 5, 2015
    You can cut and sell from your own property that you own .
    If you log other properties that you don't own you need a Masters Logging License.
    Check with log buyers in your area to see what size logs the take.
    If you can , cut them as long as you can and let the sawmill cut them or tell you where to cut them.
    A 16' log needs to be cut 17' long . Always cut longer. 12'6" , 10'6", 8'6"
    If your trees went all the way down then they should be easy to cut up . If they are leaning you need to be really careful of how you cut them . A leaning tree is dangerous and you should have some experience at cutting large trees. Barber chair could happen.

aaronc and barney like this.
  3. Snareman2

Snareman2 12 pointer

Feb 25, 2007
    Thanks Bigbonner. I’ve cut trees before, just not any to sell. Fortunately, these are all the way down. Nice, long trunks. I think the neighbors trees sheltered mine from the wind, once he cut his, mine caught the brunt of the weather and weren’t used to it. I just don’t want them going to waste. My tractor might not even be big enough to get them out. That is why I was wondering how long to keep the logs. Hardly any limbs, they are good looking trunks. Thanks again and for the heads up reference to if they are under pressure or not all the way down.

4. Bee

Bee 10 pointer

Mar 14, 2005
    RED OAK , not bringing much these days. Cross ties are the Market for it. Sad

White oak better prices. Staves market strong for W O. Figure out what species you have before you get too excited about it. FWIW

5. Snareman2

Snareman2 12 pointer

Feb 25, 2007
    Thanks Bee. That is comforting, one is a big white oak. The others are reds.

6. grinder

grinder 8 pointer

Oct 28, 2003
    harrodsburg, ky, USA.
    I don’t think he plans on felling any. He said he wants to clean up trees that are blown down.

7. aaronc

aaronc 12 pointer

Jul 21, 2009
    Leitchfield
    Dangerous is right.

bigbonner likes this.