Number of mature bucks

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by kyhunter99, Dec 22, 2019.

1. Mt Pokt

Mt Pokt 6 pointer

Nov 8, 2018
    Campbell County
    Its been a decent season for seeing Bucks for me. Passed on 4 or 5 that I would have taken had I not seen the bigger ones fairly regularly.
    My problem is I need to figure out how to spend more time hunting!

kyhunter99 and Campfire like this.
  2. muddhunter

muddhunter 12 pointer

Oct 18, 2005
    louisville
    Every year I see a blue million 1.5 to 2.5 yr olds. Rarely see a 3.5 yr old while hunting. I think I have seen maybe ten bucks while hunting in my lifetime that were 4.5 or older.

xbokilla and carnivore like this.
  3. mudhole crossing

mudhole crossing 12 pointer

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    So how many of those 4.5s have u harvested?

muddhunter likes this.
  4. kyhunter99

kyhunter99 12 pointer

Dec 21, 2014
    Still in the kitchen Ky
    Thats it!
    If my shoulder doesnt hurt me im going to shoot anything that has more than 4pts. Lol!
    And apparently god heard me because he sent absolutely ZERO of those my way.

5. turkeyfan

turkeyfan 12 pointer

Dec 1, 2004
    Richmond, KY
    I saw 4 what I would consider mature. Of those only one I really wanted to shot but could never get it to stop. Looking forward to late season to see what happens.

6. muddhunter

muddhunter 12 pointer

Oct 18, 2005
    louisville
    Two. Probably 3. But definitely 2. One was when I was quite a bit younger and didn’t know the first thing about aging a deer and was likely an old buck on his way down. Just have his antlers now. The other two were 5.5 and 7.5+. Aged by tooth bisection at UK. And biologist.

kyhunter99 and mudhole crossing like this.
  7. mudhole crossing

mudhole crossing 12 pointer

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    Good odds for sure

CRFmxracer likes this.
  8. buzzbaiter83

buzzbaiter83 10 pointer

I saw zero mature bucks. I saw one that might have went 3.5. He was the offspring of the old buck I took last year that was 9+. Probably 18” wide. I would have took him with a bow but one side was weak. It takes them a little bit longer to grow here in the mountains and the old ones are smart with too many ways to travel in these swirling winds.

Brody, Campfire and Junglekat like this.
  9. davers

davers 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2014
    Kentucky
    On my property, I know of at least four: A Spike, four-pointer, Button Buck, and one nice eight-pointer. They came-up, crossed backfield almost every day. Since I already harvested two Doe, I just let them walk, as I've taken Bucks the past seven rifle season, thought I'd give the Bucks a break this past season. I have an abundance of Doe!!

Cornpile likes this.
  10. kywallace69

kywallace69 12 pointer

Aug 18, 2008
    Zone 1
    Great thread. On my question, like many of you have wondered. On buck dispersal. I have about 20 bucks in my hunting area I get pics of regularly. Out of those bucks 3 is mature. So 13 is 3.5 or younger. The 3 bucks are hard to get, like most mature deer are. and are long gone when rut kicks in and most never return. We pass on the young bucks like always and hoping they grow up and at 4.5 or 5.5 we can harvest. However, they leave. The ones that do return after season don't stay when the next hunting season approaches. I had them on cams in February, and all gone like when season starts this past year. Some years I think my hunting property is a day care for young bucks, then they leave when they get older. Hunting 400 acres in a Zone 1 county. Lots of deer, but far and few between big deer. I may get pic or 2 late late in the year on a huge deer but that's about it. I run 12 cams year around. This year was also an awesome year for acorns in my area.
    So the big bucks are dispersing, and never returning when they hit 3. What some of your thoughts on this?

muddhunter likes this.
  11. bowhunter269

bowhunter269 12 pointer

Nov 21, 2006
    Fisherville, KY
    My opinion....when they disperse, they get shot....that's why they aren't returning. They are dead.

Meatstick and kyhunter99 like this.
  12. Campfire

Campfire 6 pointer

Oct 24, 2019
    Camp
    Im no expert but my initial thoughts are do you have any really thick unbothered areas. I’m my experience and I hunt South Central KY is that if you don’t have some nasty unbothered areas where they can bed and feel safe that the mature deer will go to spots like that as soon as any pressure hits. You need cover that you can’t walk thru briars cedars cutover just something where they really feel safe to bed in daytime. Otherwise mature bucks only use a property to feed, mostly at night and chase does, mostly at night.

13. kywallace69

kywallace69 12 pointer

Aug 18, 2008
    Zone 1
    They sometimes do return, but it's hit and miss. only get a few pics everynow and them, or the neighbor a few miles away which dont hunt see's some of them.

14. kywallace69

kywallace69 12 pointer

Aug 18, 2008
    Zone 1
    The property I hunt is a great place to hunt. Lot's of thick areas. Hedge apple trees everywhere. Very thick. It has everything a deer would love. Very good cover, food, water, and very low hunting pressure. I could see the possible of the mature deer getting shot, but I'm getting pics in February. Season's over then. Not a lot of hunters around this property either.

muddhunter likes this.
  15. Grago

Grago 10 pointer

Dec 13, 2016
    They are smart, A good friend of mine was trying to let his daughter kill this buck this youth weekend This buck was showing up in the evenings , then went to being around 5 in the morning, They didnt hunt in the mornings, because he was afraid they would bump him out, and both days saturday and sunday he was there at about 5 both mornings and didnt show up in the afternoon Yesterday is a pic where he showed up in the afternoon when no one was hunting hope he can now get him with a bow but he didnt get that size being stupid especially after the rut

Attached Files:

kyhunter99 and littlebear like this.