Now it's a 'plot' if you oppose the 'Ground Zero' mosque?

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by maxcam, Aug 20, 2010.

1. maxcam

maxcam 12 pointer

Mar 29, 2005
  2. 6.5x55swedish

6.5x55swedish 12 pointer

May 27, 2005
    Lexington
    Why does anybody care what they build in NYC. If you don't like the place don't go there.

The stupid crap the news outlets cover and some people choose to listen to and then drag up all over the net is Amazing to me. There are islamic mosques all over this country.

3. EKUgrad

EKUgrad 10 pointer

Nov 9, 2004
    Lexington
    Hey 6.5,

your quote -- how did that work out for ol' Sheheke???

4. DRS

DRS Banned

Mar 3, 2010
    Kentucky
    People like Nancy Pelosi need to be voted out of office if our country is to survive.

5. EKUgrad

EKUgrad 10 pointer

Nov 9, 2004
    Lexington
    Not likely to happen with the fine folks of San Francisco; out best bet is to spay the ______ by removing her from her position as Speaker by taking away her majority.

6. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    If not for the vast right-wing conspiracy, we'd have our workers' paradise by now.

7. 6.5x55swedish

6.5x55swedish 12 pointer

May 27, 2005
    Lexington
    He tried... Indians killed him.

Not our representative so we don't have any say in whether she stays or goes.

I don't think that is likely to happen.

It is all about balance. Two forces pulling in the opposite directions makes for a nice balance.

8. EKUgrad

EKUgrad 10 pointer

Nov 9, 2004
    Lexington
    See there, one does not have to be a learned man to despise the principles of communism... even the Native Americans, without all of the benefits of modern education, understood that we live in a world of finite resources, that our labors are ours to own and command, and that theft was wrong. :D

Nancy decides how she will spend our money, so as long as we have a system wherein a few powerful individuals can dictate everyones lives' efforts, an opinion is most certainly entitled (although that obviously does not translate directly into a vote for/against her).

Likelihood =/= desirability, and it may not even require a total loss of majority to happen. It is conceivable that, should the D's lose a sufficient number of seats because of the anti-Pelosi sentiment, enough of the D's will abandon her ship and choose another Speaker.

It would be best if we had one force pulling in the best direction.... rather than two forces pulling in alternatively bad directions.

9. maxcam

maxcam 12 pointer

Mar 29, 2005
    Yeah Swede..... Kinda like Congress and the US military during vietnam..... I get your kinda balance....

10. maxcam

maxcam 12 pointer

Mar 29, 2005
  11. 6.5x55swedish

6.5x55swedish 12 pointer

May 27, 2005
    Lexington
    Agreed

The Speaker can only be changed if the majority changes or the speaker (him or herself) is voted out of their seat by their electorate. Republicans need to gain 44 or so seats to gain the majority without loosing any... Up hill battle for sure.

12. 6.5x55swedish

6.5x55swedish 12 pointer

May 27, 2005
    Lexington
    Didn't realize Sept 11 2001 actually occurred in 1997?

The proposed mosque was located near ground zero for 5 years prior to 2001, that is even after the previous attacks on the trade towers and nobody cared then. A bunch of catholic priests have raped American children. Should we block ALL Christian churches from being built next to daycare centers?

http://www.park51.org/vision.htm

Last edited: Aug 20, 2010
  13. wademup

wademup 12 pointer

Feb 5, 2004
    benton, ky, USA.
    This whole affair has caused both parties to act ridiculous,Repubs(I am one) are trying to forget the constitution which really pisses me off and the dems are doing what they do best and trying to make us all into racist,uneducated bigots.
    I personally do not believe in peaceful Islam at all,it is a crock,however because of my total respect for the constitution and my fear that govt would love to have some say in my church I dont see any way to deal with this other than to let them build it. For Pelosi to say that those opposed are conspirators just shows what I already knew,she wouldnt know a middle American if she woke up with one in her bed,of course that would never happen to any middle american I hope!!!!!!!!!

14. EKUgrad

EKUgrad 10 pointer

Nov 9, 2004
    Lexington
    Agreed. We will be facing a Constitutional crisis at some point in all likelihood, I fear, because sharia is not US Constitution compliant -- and vice versa.

15. Wildcat

Wildcat 12 pointer

Jan 7, 2002
    Ledbetter, Ky.
    The First Amendment reads in part;

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof;

Nowhere does it say anything on where they can build a church or mosque.

It does NOT say "establish a building", nore does it mean that at all.

Under the First Amendment the govt cannot keep us from trying to "establish a religion" or "prohibt the free exercise of our religion".

Say we want to start a new religion and call it say, "Deer Hunters Religion", we pray to the deer gods for bigger bucks, etc and want to do this every opening morning of the deer season. We CAN DO THIS under the First Amendment. They CANNOT stop us from "establishing" the religion or from "exercising" it.

Can we build a building in downtown Louisville over looking the river as our "church"?? If we do not have the building permits and other permits then NO WE CANNOT. The First Amendment does NOT protect us in the building of the church.

Nobody anywhere in the debate has said they cannot have their religion here.

The entire issue is NOT about the religion at all but where the building is going to be. There are laws in place that DO KEEP CHURCHS AND MOSQUES FROM BEING BUILD ON CERTAIN LOCATIONS. Just like there are laws that keep bars from being build at certian locations.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2010