Now I am bummed

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by KYBH4Life, Nov 2, 2014.

1. Lost_in_the_woods

Lost_in_the_woods 6 pointer

Nov 15, 2008
    graves county
    I will be honest I still have a flinch when shooting on paper. I keep working on it but it is something I just deal with a lot. Spent two hours today sighting in four different rifles. 243, 30-30, 30-06, and 223. After all those rounds I could tell the flinch was going away. I have always done great out hunting though. May just be that cause I know I anticipate the shot more practicing than I do hunting. Its odd but just how it is.

2. tyshe17

tyshe17 12 pointer

May 4, 2007
    What happened to BB guns and 22s? Sometimes I worry we push kids to deer hunting too quick bc we want the memories.

I remember shooting cokes, water bottles, clays and many a starling or squirrel prior to ever going after deer.

3. kymailman98

kymailman98 10 pointer

Dec 20, 2009
    Christian County
    I'm shooting a Remington Mountain Rifle in 7/08 with handloads, and it kicks pretty good as far as I'm concerned. Personally, I'd start a kid on something like a 223 or a 243 and limit their shots to a close range. My first deer rifle was my fathers Remington Model 760 pump in 30-06. It had a steel buttplate and kicked like a mule. I remember shooting it one Saturday and my ears were still ringing so bad n church on Sunday that I couldn't hear half of what the preacher said. Dad put a recoil pad on it, but by then the damage had been done. That has been 50 years later, and I still am very conscious of recoil.

4. RLWEBB

RLWEBB 12 pointer

Nov 30, 2005
    Staffordsville, KY
    I too have issues with recoil at times shooting at targets but never at game. Don't know why that is but I can definitely say that it started in 1992 after I had a brain tumor removed. Never had any type of flinching issue before that. Anyway, when shooting at paper, it takes me a few shots to get it under control. It can be very frustrating at times. Hang in there with him and maybe try a smaller caliber.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. KYBH4Life

KYBH4Life Banned

Feb 13, 2011
    I have damn near begged him to take his bb guns out but in his off time ( he does stay busy in sports) he tends to play xbox or watch tv. As for 22, hell I haven't been able to find ammo til recently.

He shot and the 8 pt last year with my .270 and said he never felt it so the excitement of the hunt may/may not cure his flinching as someone mentioned.

I am torn between giving him a chance and being ethical. Fine line to toe

6. tyshe17

tyshe17 12 pointer

May 4, 2007
    Good luck, I have to have any kid turned off the outdoors or hunting. We need all we can get.

7. jdattilo

jdattilo 6 pointer

Feb 17, 2005
    Louisville
    .223. AR. One at a time. Very little recoil.

8. KY Swamp Beagler

KY Swamp Beagler 12 pointer

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of western KY
    The only high-powered rifle I've ever enjoyed shooting 17 times was my .22-250. I know I wouldn't shoot a 7mm-08 that many times without my Lead Sled. That's a lot for a child to handle. My suggestion is to buy a Savage 93 in 17 HMR. To me it feels like a big bolt action rifle feels and it won't break the bank. He could shoot that dude all day long and never flinch - plus it's fun with water filled plastic bottles.

I used my Savage 93 to introduce my girlfriend's son to rifles. He shot probably 30 rounds and he never missed. He got frustrated one time because he was shooting at an empty Seafoam can five times in a row and it never moved. He thought he was missing but we went down to check it out and he had drilled it every time, but the 17s were zipping through it so fast it wasn't moving enough to fall over.

9. Savage Armed

Savage Armed Fawn

Mar 30, 2012
    Caldwell County
    Take him. Use the advice to work on the flinch and take him. If he has killed a buck two years in a row then sounds like he shoots better than a lot of men that will be out this weekend. I've missed deer and I've missed targets and I'll be going. There are a lot of deer in Ky for him to miss out because there is a chance he might make a bad shot. Life is just a vapor. You arent promised that you'll get another year to take him. Have fun and good luck.

10. CRFmxracer

CRFmxracer 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2010
    louisville kentucky
    Does he want to go hunting? he won't be thinking about recoil when he has a deer in his sights if he truly enjoys it. don't push him to go however. Also, maybe do a little friendly competition with the bb gun to see who can outshoot the other.

11. muddhunter

muddhunter 12 pointer

Oct 18, 2005
    louisville
    I will agree with you on the "better than a lot of men this weekend". I hate the mentality of " there are a bunch of deer. No big deal if he misses or shoots one in the guts or leg". It will happen often enough in his lifetime that he doesn't need it forced on him. If the kid can't shoot straight right now for whatever reason, let him sit out a bit. If the kid couldn't swim I wouldn't throw him out of a boat in the ocean and hope it all worked out. KBH4life, I appreciate the fact you even recognize it is a concern and are trying to deal with it. Good luck and I hope everything works out before Saturday.

12. willy09

willy09 Banned

Oct 15, 2009
    When I was little dad bought me a 30-06 it knocked me down and gave me a huge issue with flinching. He felt awful lol never really thought about it cause he's not much on hunting. So then he bought me a sks and a good recoil pad and a 1000 rounds. I shot all of em before deer season. No scope. Made me learn how to take a fine bead and good shot. That youth season he took me and I knocked down my first doe open sights at about 80 yards. Get him a small caliber and plenty ammo.

13. mudd

mudd 6 pointer

Sep 1, 2006
    Pendleton County
    Get a .243
    My 11 year old daughter can shoot it all day and she's a little bitty thing.
    ...and it will (imho) do a better job on a deer than a .223, especially on a marginal shot.

14. sacmarata

sacmarata 10 pointer

Jul 28, 2014
    there
    I shot 7mm08 yesterday for the first time ever in my new Ruger M77. I was using Hornady 139 grain and the recoil was negligible. The gun also has a fairly nice butt pad.
    Something I noticed when helping my wife zero in was that the body position from shooting off a table with bags as compared to shooting from a stand free hand or from a rail is quite a bit different. Maybe try to change his body position to something more similar to what it's like up in a tree (if thats how you hunt.) My wife insists on practicing from a tree some instead of strictly off bench rest.

15. KYBH4Life

KYBH4Life Banned

Feb 13, 2011
    I agree on the recoil with a pad....although after 12 shots he did say he was getting sore. Then added "let's shoot just 4 more". May not get to shoot today as I will be working late but have all day tomorrow. Tried switching positions as well to no avail. Gonna surprise him on the empty casing and video it for him to watch.