Nov deer harvest second-highest ever

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Old Oak, Nov 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ACE

ACE 6 pointer

Nov 1, 2002
    Grayson Co
    Grayson Co

I am glad we our a zone 3, thats long enough.

2. adamky

adamky 6 pointer

Sep 10, 2008
    Daviess County
    deer

I have one question about this. If they think ehd didn't have an effect on deer numbers they are crazy. Most people I know didn't shoot deer last year because of the ehd outbreak. They saw fewer deer and are still seeing few deer this year.
    A hunter can go in the woods and see one deer and kill it or he can go in the woods and see 25 deer and kill one. To the fish and wildlife people they only see that the hunter killed one deer and that may have been the only deer that hunter saw all season long, they don't know. I personally don't think that they should base their harvest guidelines on the kill. They need to start doing a survey of how many deer were seen not killed for this reason alone.
    There may have need 85,000 deer killed in November but there may have only been 90,000 deer seen. There needs to be a big change in the length of gun seasons in most counties were the ehd was the worst or the quality of hunting is going to suffer for a long period of time.:(:(:(
    Just my opinion.
    Adam

3. "I have one question about this. If they think ehd didn't have an effect on deer numbers they are crazy. Most people I know didn't shoot deer last year because of the ehd outbreak. They saw fewer deer and are still seeing few deer this year.
    A hunter can go in the woods and see one deer and kill it or he can go in the woods and see 25 deer and kill one. To the fish and wildlife people they only see that the hunter killed one deer and that may have been the only deer that hunter saw all season long, they don't know. I personally don't think that they should base their harvest guidelines on the kill. They need to start doing a survey of how many deer were seen not killed for this reason alone.
    There may have need 85,000 deer killed in November but there may have only been 90,000 deer seen. There needs to be a big change in the length of gun seasons in most counties were the ehd was the worst or the quality of hunting is going to suffer for a long period of time.:(:(:(
    Just my opinion."

Wise, this one is.

Just to add to your thought Adam, it was also reported prior to the season that we again had 1 Million deer in the state. Sorry but you don't come off an EHD outbreak and a harvest of 113,000 and have the same number of deer you did the year before. I made a prediction that the Dept. would do little if nothing to the structure of the season this year to off set the effects EHD had on the herd. Just as I predicted, no doe limits were set, the gun seasons ran the same length, and the season was the same length as a whole. The whole claim of the 2nd highest harvest in Nov. being an indicator that EHD had little effect is ludicris.

If you have 50 crawfish in a creek hole and you catch 5 on Saturday and while your asleep Saturday night a coon comes in and gets 5. Then, while your at church on Sunday some little crawfish poaching kid slides in and catches 20, you may still be able to catch 10 the next time you go there but you'll work harder. But because you were able to catch 10 again does that mean your crawfish population is strong. It is a fine situation if your goal was to rid the creek of crawfish but if you like to have crawfish in your creek to catch you better take measures to limit the harvest. The difference in this scenerio is that we didn't know that 25 crawfish were taken out by the kid and the coon, so we would have to be observant to the idea that the crawfish numbers were down from the last time. The KDF&W knew that EHD had an impact prior to the season start, the harvest had been down in 07, and did nothing. If we had known that 25 crawfish were gone from our hole we would have backed off on our take and made a plan to deter coons and crawfish poaching kids. Why is this rocket science for the department?

4. F250Stroke

F250Stroke 10 pointer

Jan 22, 2007
    back in the woods you see
    Guys, as I have said before I live and hunt in Grayson co. I travel some of the roads daily. I have seen far less deer this year than previous years. I work in place where I see a lot of people who hunt and farm. I ask them about their deer sightings and guess what, they have seen far less deer this year too. I dont pretend to know the reasons why, just that either 95 percent of the people that I have talked to are seeing less deer or they are liars. I started bowhunting again this year after a year of just gun hunting and I was stunned at the low number of sightings. My son killed his first buck this year and I had seen the same buck at least three times. I wasnt going to tell him not to shoot it, but.... I have hunted several times since gun season and have seen a total of 4 deer and all of those where on the same afternoon. I have deer hunted for 25 years and I know all of the affects of the weather,hunting pressure,yada,yada,yada. There arent as many deer,period. Talk to people who live and hunt here,not just people who visit a few weekends a year.;)

5. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

Talk to the owner of this site and ask how many deer he lost to EHD last year. I talked with a guy who is one heck of a deer hunter just the other day that hunts property next door to one of Lee's places, he told me Lee said he lost 70% of his deer last year. He also said him and his brother had a dozen decent bucks running around thier place they had passed in the past and their total buck sighting on this property this year was ONE small 6 point. I have also seen the effects first hand on my place far fewer deer overall and no bucks worth shooting all season. I had 10 doe's on the feeder this afternoon and not even a spike with them. Time will tell as it might take a year or so for the dust to settle but the overall outlook in this area is not good.

6. ken w

ken w 6 pointer

Dec 21, 2003
    clarkson, ky, USA.
    i supported the zone change, and think we need to stay a 3 for at least 1 more seaon
    that being said my hunters had a good season , with a 50 % sucesss rate on 130 in or better , but mature doe sighting were down, also fawn #s are down our hunters logged 200buck sighting, of course alot of the same bucks, on our smaller propertys in east grayson and hardin #s are down ,agian no mature does alot of last yr fawns at the house i havent seen a deer since oct

7. Gnarly

Gnarly 6 pointer

Nov 12, 2008
    Crossroads to Nowhere,KY
    Deer Harvest #'s

Lotsa good common sense here....glad to see the personal animosity has died down, as it should.
    Everyone is entitled to their own opinion,so from time to time, you're gonna get mine!
    I have been forwarding this thread to one of our Wildlife Commisioners, but had nearly decided not to, because of the infighting.Today,I started again, because I wanted him to know:

I'm happy some areas are having a great season, but I've talked to enough locals to know our area is not.And I believe we need rezoning here in Ohio & Daviess counties, or a change of regulations to decrease the number of deer taken.

And no, we'll never all agree on everything....that's human nature.But when he prints the thread to take to Frankfort,I hope they see the sincerity of our concerns.

I plan to do more research on EHD, too...and ask what Frankfort plans to do.If draining stagnant waterholes reduces the disease,I know how to use a shovel!

To those that would posit that EHD is God's way of controlling deer population,please explain why the counties with the highest deer density were not the areas that were hardest hit, according to members of this forum.

----Gnarly

8. NonTyp

NonTyp 12 pointer

Apr 9, 2006
    Horntown
    Ken, I think your situation is a little different than most other people in the state. Not many guys have 1500 contiguous acres to hunt, not to mention archery only.

9. GraysonCountyHunter

GraysonCountyHunter Banned

Nov 12, 2008
    UR an Outfitter, Right?

UR the OUTFITTER guy, right. If I am not mistaken. 130" or better on 50% or better, LMAO, I learned this from you NonTyp!!:)

10. NonTyp

NonTyp 12 pointer

Apr 9, 2006
    Horntown
    WTH, are you dyslexic?:p

11. ken w

ken w 6 pointer

Dec 21, 2003
    clarkson, ky, USA.
    i dont understand, but im a little slow

12. GraysonCountyHunter

Nov 12, 2008
    Guess so, 28 for 28 with a bow!!!!

13. GraysonCountyHunter

Nov 12, 2008
    You mean to tell me that 50% of your hunter came back with 130" deer? LMAO

14. NonTyp

NonTyp 12 pointer

Apr 9, 2006
    Horntown
    Ease up there quickdraw, I think Ken is saying 50% of his hunters saw 130" deer.

15. ken w

ken w 6 pointer

Dec 21, 2003
    clarkson, ky, USA.
    still not following, and bill u r right our situation may be different but my point is i can see #s are down and its very noticable on our smaller tracts, we had 36 bowhunters we killed 8 bucks over 130this yr 2 that were under 124 , 119 5 misses 2 wounds 3 passes on shooters gun hunters only had a 25% SUCESS rate

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.