Nov deer harvest second-highest ever

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Old Oak, Nov 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. predator

predator 12 pointer

Nov 23, 2006
    Leitchfield, Ky.

This can be easily verified:

At the 2007 LKS convention, the League unanimously approved a resolution brought forth by the Twin Lakes Sportsman's Club to request that the KDFWR consider rezoning Grayson to a zone 3.

I have a similar petition in my office with over 50 signatures and addresses of persons requesting the same thing. During the petition drive, I think we had a maxium of 3 people who did not agree with our request. This petition was put together rather quickly in order to make it available to the Dept before a commission meeting.

Maybe I didn't ask the right people, but as ss posted, the Dept will not just do a zoning change on a whim, they have to have the biological data to back it up. Grayson was on the bubble between 2 and 3, so upon our request, they moved it.

Also if you will remember this thread I started on 10-10-07, the date are after the day I killed my doe.
    http://www.kentuckyhunting.net/forums/showthread.php?t=49673

The offer still stands and I promise I won't try to steal your hunting place, in fact, since your avatar is QDM, I'll let you go to my place and look it over, you might give me some suggestion.:)

2. predator

predator 12 pointer

Nov 23, 2006
    Leitchfield, Ky.
    I'm not touching the "button buck" issue or that NonTyp needs "a little more time at the archery range":eek::eek: with a 10 ft pole.

Again, the offer still stands, stop by my office sometime and we'll talk deer hunting.
    BTW-I got a pretty nice on the wall there also.

3. ole mossy horns

ole mossy horns Fawn

Nov 15, 2008
    That is nice

Thats nice to know that 50 selected people changed my hunting! Maybe i should select 50 people to change your hunting??? Have you ever thought that ehd was a way GOD controls population. Maybe we wasnt killing enuff does.:cool:

4. jeffcojoe

jeffcojoe 6 pointer

At least in our area around Caneyville the EHD dead finds were about 75% bucks and a lot of older 3 to 4 year old ones at that. The does seemed to have survived better or just didn't lay down in the open and die like the bucks did.

5. whitetailpredator

whitetailpredator 6 pointer

Jan 30, 2007
    Leitchfield, KY
    You ever pulled a bow back on 180" deer?

This is funny :D! If YOUR hunting was that great in the first place, the six day difference between zone one and zone two shouldn't be that big of a deal. You should have already filled your tags the first ten days!:eek:

6. GraysonCountyHunter

GraysonCountyHunter Banned

Nov 12, 2008
    You can't touch it!! We finally agree!!!:):):)

7. Some of you guys better be thankful that there are folks like Pred that care enough for the resource to work to conserve it. There are far too many hunters out there that have no friggin clue what is really going on with the resource.

There are a lot of varibles concerning where, how, and when we hunt that results in differences in opinions on where we think the deer herd stands. For instance if you have a large track of land say 500 to over 1,000 acres, you can do things to control your herd and see little effect by the department's plan. However the guy with 50-100 acres that borders 4 other farms of the same size can't. He sees what the impact of liberal doe harvests, ehd, and poaching can do to his deer hunting experience. On the flip side the guy with 1000 acres who practices his own qdm without much outside influence due to his land size may think he the herd is awesome. Another example: Hunter A gun hunts only and goes to fill his tags with "deer". He sets up on a ag field, has a doe come out and drops it. Then 15 minutes later a fork horn shows. He kills it. His tags are filled and he is happy. To him there is no issue with the deer populations. Hunter B hunts the same property as hunter A the entire season with multiple weapons and spends a considerable time in the woods. He runs multiple game cams and hunts for mature bucks. He sees the same deer that hunter A harvests but he sees them and only a few other deer on the property the entire season. He knows first hand what the real story about the deer herd is but has a hard time convincing hunter A there is a problem.

Bottom line here is a "good deer herd" is relevant to your property size, your time spent in the field, your harvest success and your harvest goals. Currently we have a huntable deer herd in most of the state if you have only the expectation of harvesting "deer". Some places are better than others. But I ask, at the rate that deer are harvested, how long will it last? I think we would all be well served to look at examples of how fast and how proficient liberal harvests really are in decreasing deer herds. I hear testimonies from folks all the time about how down they feel Fort Knox is concerning deer populations. Well I remember not too may years ago the harvest goals would be 1200-1400 deer and they would be achieved. How many deer do you guys think were harvested this year? Herd reduction can happen much quicker than you think and over harvest is something that can occur easy if you don't take your foot off the trottle. Now just so I don't get taken out of context, Fort Knox's reduction was needed and by design. I'd have to guess that the management plan will probably begin to transition in the near future. But how many years now have we been in the reduction mode in the state? Since Gassett took the reigns? When we he start to make a transition. I'll tell you when, when the deer populations in suburban and semi rural areas are nil. I remember a time when KDF&W was the poster child for conservation. Man, those were good times.

8. buckfever

buckfever 12 pointer

Oct 25, 2002
    Harrods Creek Ky, USA.
    For God's sakes, man, Predator perceived a problem with the deer herd in Grayson County, and 50 "selected people" apparently agreed with him.

They petitioned KDFWR, and KDFWR independently determined that his request was warranted. If you care that much about how long your gun season is, get off your tail and get involved yourself.

You and the rest of the guys that want to hang Predator now as a doe-killing hypocrite could just as easily have showed up at the OPEN KDFWR meeting and explained why you thought the rezoning of Grayson County was a horrible idea.

Why ***** about somebody else actually getting involved and making a difference (whether you agree with them or not) when you're not?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 16, 2008
  9. GraysonCountyHunter

GraysonCountyHunter Banned

Nov 12, 2008
    I cannot say I disagree with you. However, Kentucky is in a great position and sometimes we do not look outside the state lines to realize this. Alabama. Mississippi, Georgia, Pennsylvania, New York and Michigan just to mention a few only wish they had a population to build on. THEY HAVE POPULATIONS THEY WISH TO DESTROY!!!

Kentucky now has a base to build on unlike what was here in the 70's. All I hear is how bad things are and that something needs to be done to bring it back and so on and so forth. I wears me out. Remember, when you did not see a deer? I would rather have a chance at nice buck for the wall than have a bunch of ratty looking does around. Some people get confused with quantity and quality. There is a balance.

As far as small tracts of ground, I own 72 acres and I can relate. Yes we are at the mercy of the surrounding properties and the ethics they have. My gripe is that individuals who want this should practice this first. I have a good relationship with the owners around me---granted there are some meat hunters close but they are usually in and out of the woods fairly quickly. My neighbors all understand and practice QDM themselves and impose it on the people who hunt their farm. Developing this mind-set is a key, but the individual who want this must be role models first. Killing a nice deer, having it aged and showing the deer/age to the neighbors helps as a start.

I will agree, some people may not be as fortunate as my relationship I have with my neighbors----Frankfort can do nothing about that.

10. whitetailpredator

whitetailpredator 6 pointer

Jan 30, 2007
    Leitchfield, KY
    Honestly, how many people did a shorter gun season really hurt? 6 DAYS!! You would think predator took away your birthday and christmas!:eek:

11. cobbhunts

cobbhunts 12 pointer

Mar 18, 2004
    richmond, ky, USA.

Look, I do not care about the zone change. I could care less if they took the whole rifle season honestly.

All I am asking for is to meet the 10-1 "for the change" folks. I don't believe Predator when he says that most (nearly all) of Grayson county is for this move to a zone 3. You could never make me believe that in a time where the majority of hunters do it with a rifle that they would be for a zone change taking a week away from them. Especially at a 10-1 ratio. Maybe 1-10 the other way.

As far as bashing Predator for taking a doe. I wasn't at all. IMO, if a person buys a tag then that person should get to decide what, when, where, and how they get a deer. If legal of course. Just don't get on a public forum and bash people for taking a doe, then go stick one in the freezer.

I'm gonna go start me some Chili. From a doe I stuck earlier this year. One of 3 actually.:cool:

Last edited: Dec 8, 2008
  12. predator

predator 12 pointer

Nov 23, 2006
    Leitchfield, Ky.
    GraysonCountyHunter and Cobbhunts, the offer still stands. I would be more than happy to sit down and talk with you about OUR future of deer hunting. As a custom homebuilder, I'd better be a good listener or I wouldn't be in business long in this current ecomonic crisis. No hard feelings.:)

Keith G. Bratcher

13. NonTyp

NonTyp 12 pointer

Apr 9, 2006
    Horntown
    Predator did NOT say that 90% of Grayson co residents was in favor of the zone change. He determined the 10-1 ratio from people he has actually spoken to. Guys, he isn't trying to put out a smoke screen! I realize people recognize things differently, but sometimes it gets amusing! I personally know several dedicated gun hunters who supported the changed and most of all Karen did too! It would have never changed to start with if it had been left to her!

14. NonTyp

NonTyp 12 pointer

Apr 9, 2006
    Horntown
    I have to admit, you made me chuckle a little when I read the title to the post. Then, when I read the first sentence, I laughed out loud! Facts!:D Anyway, while I spend that needed time at the range,;), you need to spend a little time brushing up on your biology. I find even more humor in you talking about killing a good buck when that too is what I want for you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.