Nov deer harvest second-highest ever

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Old Oak, Nov 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. turk2di

turk2di Cyber-Hunter

Feb 25, 2003
    evansville, ind
    Relax, its dem darn rattlesnakes!!

2. Gnarly

Gnarly 6 pointer

Nov 12, 2008
    Crossroads to Nowhere,KY
    future of deer hunting

My friend predator isn't trying to take over your hunting ground....he has plenty.

Just fewer deer,period.

He's concerned that we're not looking past our noses, and future generations may not have enough deer around to justify a season.Me,too. He'd rather conserve by hunting shorter seasons,since the majority of us are seeing fewer deer now.

And the numbers?

('Mother,should I trust the government?' - from Pink Floyd)

That's my take on it.

We can't prove OR disprove the numbers; we all only know what we're seeing when we go to the woods and engage in our favorite outdoor pasttime.

Teaching a youngster to deer hunt is a bigger thrill than any deer I've ever seen,let alone killed.And if our Grandkids don't grow up to enoy hunting, the 'family heirloom' guns you'll eventually hand down will be
    melted down to make more mindless nintendos and xboxes and wiis and other brainwash crap made in a shoe factory called Taiwan.And they'll speak Mandarin Chinese.

IMHO, being able to debate the future of our deer hunting (and gun rights) is germane to a free society, like being able to acknowledge others' points of view....but the time may be coming to decide:

Do we want liberal seasons to PROVE there are plenty of deer?

Or maybe decide to agree to cut back? Because nobody on here is complaining of over-population of deer!

Yeah, they call me

----Gnarly

...for a reason,too.The nickname that goes with it is 'Attitude".

3. cobbhunts

cobbhunts 12 pointer

Mar 18, 2004
    richmond, ky, USA.

4. cobbhunts

cobbhunts 12 pointer

Mar 18, 2004
    richmond, ky, USA.
    Well I could agree with ya, but I don't. Goes back to the tele review I posted about just a second ago. Why take a doe at their most vulnerable time. When a disease is at it's peak (AKA 09/27/2007). Look up my tele from last year. I took a buck in November and that's it. Laid off the doe I so much like to eat. Yet you can get on here and read "Predators" post and he is the doe savior. Him and his 10-1 posse donning orange capes and shining new light on deer mgt. through out the state.

On a side note, I am a huge Pink Floyd fan. Love the reference.........

5. cobbhunts

cobbhunts 12 pointer

Mar 18, 2004
    richmond, ky, USA.

One other thing about this particular statement. We all should not be concerned about the amount of deer for our future generations, but rather the amount of available land (at an affordable price) for them. I called about a lease in Ohio county early this week for a group of friends that need a place for next year.

795 acres @ $25 an acre = $19,875

This person has leased 6 properties at this per acre rate in the last 2 months. Thank the middle man for this...........

Last edited: Dec 6, 2008
  6. GraysonCountyHunter

GraysonCountyHunter Banned

Nov 12, 2008
    Numbers, I can believe them

I believe the numbers are fairly accurate in the system. Of course, there are plusses and minusses to every system. I believe and it just my own opinion, the deer were actually killed in the county that was reported. Just because there may be a "Julio" thing in there does not mean the whole ball of wax is wrong. Do you see any counties harvesting 14k deer?

Unless you have access to Frankfort's computer system and you are a computer whiz at this----you have to believe they are fairly close. Keep in mind, they have to use something to go by. So if there is a problem, let them find it and quit trying to use this as a smoke screen to prove your points that are only speculations and not gospel.

"NonTyp"ically people should not be a "predator" of other's opinion. If they really believe in what they are preaching, they should be role models themselves and not do what they are trying to get others to do. If you do not think the populations are high enough---then quit taking the does out yourselves, especially at the loom of the EHD disease of last year. It is a "NonTyp"ical thing to take a doe in the following year either if you want people to take you seriously. It is up to the individuals who are on the bandstand to practice herd enhancement first---Frankfort cannot do this for you

p.s. Cobbhunts should find the "Doe Savior" and throw himself at his feet and repent of the sins he may have committed against does. Maybe he will become as self-righteous as some of the others on the forum.

7. NonTyp

NonTyp 12 pointer

Apr 9, 2006
    Horntown
    I would think that you expect people to take you serious since you are on here putting your opinion out for everyone to read. You, by your own hand, destroy all credibility of your posts by posting garbage such as this! You posted deer have bread out daytime movement by generations of breeding.:confused: (evolution). Deer are and will continue to be nocturnal animals, God made them that way! The guys on this forum are not going to take you serious posting this off the wall junk. I am a steward of the land and the animals upon it, you look at my record and it will stand for itself! I am not taking one thing away from anyone, just trying to make sure it is better for everyone! Get a life brother!:rolleyes:

8. predator

predator 12 pointer

Nov 23, 2006
    Leitchfield, Ky.
    A new friend? If you boys would like to come from behind your computers, I would be glad to sit down and diccuss deer hunting with you. You know who I am and how to contact me!!

I shouldn't have to justify my legal killing of a doe on my own property last year, but I'll take the bait. I shot the doe in late Sept., if you will remember, EHD was being downplayed. I quartered it up and gave it to a diabled painter friend of mine who had worked for me for several years. Later I held off because EHD was having a bigger effect than was being reported. I'm sure you checked, that was my only deer, and for a guy who has averaged over 3 deer a year for the past 25 years, I thought I showed quite a bit of restraint.

Fast foward to 2008. If you will check, you will see that I shot a button buck during the early muzzleloader season in Breck. Co. I normally won't shoot a button, but 2 youth hunters in camp that weekend wanted "something on the pole" and that was the only deer I saw. It was mid-morning and since none of the rest of the group had fired a shot that morning, I went ahead and took him. I then let one of the youths "help":rolleyes: track it to get some experience. Same friend got this deer also.

The future. I plan on after the first of the year, if I think my farm can stand it, trying to take a young deer for the freezer. I enjoy hunting cold weather and a little snow would be icing on the cake. If I don't think I've got the carryover I need, then I will hold off. This is just to let you know, more ammo for you to use against me.:D

If you decide you want to keep hiding behind your computers, then you have more than made my point!!

9. ole mossy horns

ole mossy horns Fawn

Nov 15, 2008
    To the doe savior

U taking this tooooooo serious.....:):):eek:

10. tex

tex 8 pointer

Dec 22, 2003
    Lawrenceburg, Kentucky.
    Gosh, just goes to show ya' that different parts of the county can have different population shifts.

11. slickhead slayer

slickhead slayer 12 pointer

Nov 14, 2005
    VP OF ADMIN Development
    I am not sure why you and Cobbhunts are taking this so personal. Predator and I certainly haven't agreed on everything, but I can tell you without a shadow of a doubt, he has the best interest of the herd in his intentions. He lobbyed the correct people last year about what zone Grayson county was in. And trust me, the Dept isn't apt to change without facts and figures to back their decisions up. Apparently his concerns were legit, they changed the zoning. And like I said, they don't do it unless its justified.
    Why can't we agree to disgaree without all the name calling and personal feelings?

12. cobbhunts

cobbhunts 12 pointer

Mar 18, 2004
    richmond, ky, USA.
    Wish I had time to respond to the last couple of post, but I will grab this one real quick. I do not disagree with his "intentions" and such. I disagree with his 10-1 statement nad he has skirted around proving that he has all these people who are "10-1" for Grayson being a zone 3. I really want to meet these people because apperantley the county is divided and in a huge way.

BTW P, I will respond more to your post tomorrow, but I have nothing against you taking your legal deer. I do have an issue with you taking deer during the height of the EHD scare and then Bit#$% about the doe needing to be protected. You say that you took that doe before the outbreak or what ever. I was well Aware of the EHD by then, and already finding deer down by the creeks. I call BS on that one. Look at the press release from the KDFWR and the EHD was already a huge concern.

13. GSP

GSP 14 Pointer Staff Member

Dec 12, 2001
    Montrose
    Good point that needs to start happening now.!

14. slickhead slayer

slickhead slayer 12 pointer

Nov 14, 2005
    VP OF ADMIN Development
    He said he shot the deer in Sept, there is no doubt the Dept was downplaying EHD in Sept of last year. Just look at the Dept's latest statement on EHD, in relation to this years harvest. They still suggest that EHD had no noticeable effect on the herd.
    Quick question for you, if his suggestions about the Grayson county herd are not correct, why did the dept change the zoning? I don't know alot of the Grayson county herd, but I know enough about the dept changing zoning, to know they don't do it on just a whim.

15. GraysonCountyHunter

GraysonCountyHunter Banned

Nov 12, 2008
    Apology to NonTyp

I apologize to you NonTyp. Sorry you are so sensitive to facts, let them be what they are.

I looked at some of you post and I will have to commend you on your nice bucks you have taken this year. Thank God, no one shot them while they were "button bucks". Our eight year old passes on buttons, he will not do it just for the sake of making a kill. A little more time at the archery range would save you time trailing and writing though, not to mention a more humane kill. Again, I apologize and nice bucks.

Maybe your friend will be able to kill a nice buck someday. Going to bed now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.