Nov deer harvest second-highest ever

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Old Oak, Nov 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. naturalelite

naturalelite 12 pointer

Nov 24, 2004
    NATTYVILLE
    YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!!!!
    :p

What would you really like to know about the deer herd in Kentucky? What questions would you like to be answered? Ask some specific questions other than just saying the sky is falling and maybe some people on here that are "in the know" can answer some of them.

Has it been a banner year for me personally? It wasn't my best year but it was a good year. Killed a couple of deer and passed on many I could have killed. It seems everyone I talk to has killed bucks and/or had plenty of chances to kill them. Not all of them had chances at mature deer but ALL of them had chances at bucks. I think we need to more define the term banner year for the majority of hunters.

2. Str8,

You got me on that one. Me and my friends all just suck at hunting deer.:rolleyes:

So your telling me up in Eastern KY this is the 2nd best year you have ever seen?

Oh, and why would they lie? Why does anyone in government lie. Money. If they said the deer herd was down they may not sell as many tags. That's okay, keep drinking the Koolaid, several of us on here can attest that sometimes it takes a few years before it effects you directly but it will sooner or later.

Ask some of the guys that are in zone 2 or 3 counties that used to be zone 1-2 just a few years ago. The goal is not about conservation, its all about reduction to just enough to still convince people to buy tags.

3. mcdenney

mcdenney 12 pointer

Dec 16, 2002
    Wildcat Country, USA.

Awww, trying to confuse the issue with facts Rils??? ;):D I would not consider it a normal year for me mainly due to the heat in which i was forced to hunt. However, I had a good month other than the first week and I have not checked a deer (yet). Pretty pitiful of me to not have killed one in a record month considering how much time I have hunted but I guess I only have myself to blame for all those I passed. Just about everybody I know has killed a deer or two.

4. Natty,

Do you honestly believe that the real, actual, harvest numbers for this November are second in the entire history?

I have posed questions after questions without any answers. All I know is when the deer hunting is good, hunters talk about it and I'm not hearing the buzz, nor have I witnessed anything that would cause a buzz.

5. naturalelite

naturalelite 12 pointer

Nov 24, 2004
    NATTYVILLE
    No I do not. I don't think anyone that has looked into this telecheck harvest info could possibly say those #'s are even close to what is actually harvested. Point 1 Julio(the deer slayer).
    Well let me go back and rethink this due to poaching these #'s might well be closer to actual harvest #'s then we think. I don't have any ideas that would help so I don't feel like me bashing the KDFWR on this issue would be the correct thing to do.

I know the hunting now is tons better than it was in the 80's. With anything there has to be a peak we might have already reached that peak with deer hunting in Kentucky. I am happy with my success and sightings the last 7-8 years. Some years are better than others. The last 8 years I feel like I could have went out and killed a deer any day of the season. To me that means I am satisfied with the job the KDFWR is doing.

6. Ky mustang

Ky mustang Banned

Oct 13, 2004
    west Ky
    Ril you are a pretty sharp guy . What do you consider a healthy harvest as far as xxx amount of deer harvested per square mile of county area ?

7. DearDoctor

DearDoctor 10 pointer

Nov 20, 2007
    Newburgh, IN
    So you are telling us you have done your own study across the state and know how bad the EHD lose was last year and how many deer were taken this year.

8. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    Dang Gum it!!!! When I got on here last week, i found out that Deer hunting on Fort Knox had went to hell. I get on here today and find out that Deer hunting in the whole state has gone to hell!!!

I need a drink!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:confused::confused::eek:

9. rme hunter

rme hunter 8 pointer

Dec 1, 2006
    Breckinridge County
    Best Post of the year!!

The conspiracy continues it won't be long the whole country will be lying to us about the whitetails.

I heard that the EHD was so bad they are thinking of putting whitetails on the endangered species list. LMAO

10. jeffcojoe

jeffcojoe 6 pointer

I think the real reason for the harvest increase is the word about the Tele-Check names available on the Net. I know of several people who in the past were questionable as to did they check their harvest. There was no way of policing it amongst the hunters in the past. With the advent of the names being available to all, a little fear has crept into some circles to call in their deer. Last year people were suprised to see the names published and now they are getting a bit wary of not checking and being turned in by someone. It would only take a 10 or 15% increase in previously unchecked deer being called in to push the numbers up. It would be interesting to know the number of individual hunters checking deer (wether they checked one or more) in the system and compare it to prior years. If the harvest is truly record setting then the number of hunters checking deer would only increase a small portion, but those checking multiple deer should increase to a greater degree.

I too saw far fewer deer in Grayson and even Shelby Counties this year. It wasn't from lack of hunting or trying. The lack of sign, sightings in the evenings all summer, and anecdotal evidence from the resident farmers all leed creedence to the population drop. With the drop in crops being raised in Grayson county, it just wont support a zone 2 for very long. I see it as being a cyclical thing with the change being made back and forth every few years. The zone change was probably two years too late. The WK Parkway has been the cleaniest in years with few roadkills.

11. ril7572

ril7572 Cyber-Hunter

Jul 9, 2003
    Ky..
    I'm really not that sharp, just ask those that know me:)

I think in Kentucky, the # of deer that should be harvested per sq mile would vary greatly. 640 acres in a sq. mile. In prime habitat areas it may be 10-12. In east Kentucky mountains it may be 2-3. This would be a WAG.

I love it!!!!

12. Ky mustang

Ky mustang Banned

Oct 13, 2004
    west Ky
    Well so far this year according to telecheck the county I live in has harvested 2.8 deer / square mile of county area . This is a zone 1 county. To date this years harvest has exceeded 2007 by 80 deer and 2006 by 119 deer according to telecheck . I am just not buying it , there is no way that can be right.

13. predator

predator 12 pointer

Nov 23, 2006
    Leitchfield, Ky.
    I'm glad you agree with me on Grayson Co. It's been running about 10 to 1 in favor of the change to zone 3. Had one guy say that he didn't like that he was being knocked out of deer hunting the week of Thanksgiving. I told him to check his calendar, the way the dates fell, even zones 1 and 2 didn't get to hunt that week.:eek: He was ok with the change.

Your anology about the increased compliance with telecheck makes good sense to me.

14. tex

tex 8 pointer

Dec 22, 2003
    Lawrenceburg, Kentucky.
    Man theres a lot controversy. I am going bowhunting. I saw 3 last night on public land at about 45 yards. 2 of them were absolutely huge. They weighed 160 lbs. if an ounce. Now that is a healthy doe.

Cain't we all get along? On a real note, I have seen less deer this year than the last 6 or 7. However I also have noticed some leaves on greenbriar this year, and some shrubbery seems to be growing some, before it is mowed down. I have not noticed any reduction in the sheer number of bucks, only perhaps, less mature bucks.

BTW going hunting tonight also, wheeeeee!!!! I love deer hunting!!!!!!!

15. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

I've notices a significant reduction in deer and crawdads this year. I'm pretty sure both are a result of a trespassing 8 year old.

I also think he's been prank calling the telecheck line to purposely skew the numbers. His first name is Billy but his last name is Unknown or Youth or something like that. :mad:

Last edited: Dec 2, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.