Nov deer harvest second-highest ever

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Old Oak, Nov 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NonTyp

NonTyp 12 pointer

Apr 9, 2006
    Horntown
    I doubt you know as many people unhappy with this zone change as you think you do.;) I am sure there have been complaints, no doubt. The lady in charge said statistacally Grayson co was zone 3. That should be end of story by your own arguement. I'm sure when Grayson needs to be zone 2 it will come.

2. kybadcat36

kybadcat36 8 pointer

Mar 26, 2005
    central city ky
    I call B.S. on this one. I'm a firm believe that these harvest #'s have always been false. I wouldn't say the state cooks the books and increases the total harvest #'s but yes thats what I'm saying. The loss from EHD last year was far far greater then the state will report. Second the harvest #'s this year have to be way down. All you have to do is listen when you have been in the woods. Shots are way down. Myself I take 2 or 3 deer a year. This year I have taken 1 doe. From talking to friends they haven't been taken there normal amount either. I think it is a tourism thing. Large Ehd kill, low harvest results the next year, LOST REVENUE!!

3. shaman

shaman 10 pointer

I'm satisfied with the numbers as accurate. Yes, I think EHD had an impact. However, you have to realize that herd size and harvest size are only somewhat connected.

1) Weather can have a huge influence.
    2) The number of hunters has a huge influence. You also have to look at their motivation. This year, I'm unemployed. I had more time to hunt, and I was determined to fill the freezer.
    3) The moon has an influence on when the rut peaks.
    4) The climate has a huge influence. For Zone 1, this is our second year in drought.
    5) The acorn crop has an influence. If the acorns drop late, like 2006, the deer don't come into the fields.
    6) The season itself has an influence. This year it started on the earliest date in several years.

I already mentioned weather, but a freak event like Hurricane Ike can really do a number. In my area, I believe a lot of acorns were blown down early. That was coupled with the visit from the cicadas earlier in the year and the 2 years of drought. Overall I think this made the acorns scarce. What this meant was I saw a lot more deer in the open this year foraging in the pastures-- a lot more than other recent years. However, the really big bucks were scarce. If you look at my county's stats, Bracken, you'll see we had a record harvest and we're now the top county in the Northeast. However, most of this gain was from antlerless deer.

There are a whole lot of factors that play into the harvest numbers. Herd size is only one component. In reality, the biggest components are:

• How many deer . . .
    • . . . present themselves . . .
    • . . . to a hunter . . .
    • . . . that is willing to pull the trigger.

4. predator

predator 12 pointer

Nov 23, 2006
    Leitchfield, Ky.

I'm assuming that you either have a connection to the Dept. or an Insurance Company in order for you to claim that there "too dang many deer".

Seems like better than 50% on here are calling BS on these harvest numbers.
    I would think by reading most of these guys posts and the fact of being on this forum that they are also above average deer hunters, "although there is a couple I would question".:D

As one posted, these numbers are questioned every year, but seems like the number of disgruntled hunters is growing.

BTW-I had about 10-1 reponses in favor of Grayson being a zoned 3, and congrats on your successful waterfowl hunt, it was a great Thanksgiving morning to be out.

5. rme hunter

rme hunter 8 pointer

Dec 1, 2006
    Breckinridge County
    I honestly can't believe that people think there is a conspiracy by the state to lead people to belive that there are more deer being killed than there actually are. As if the state has nothing better to do than exagerate deer numbers. Just because 20 people on here did not see as many deer as normal does not mean that all the deer are dead.

I can't tell you how many days I sat in a tree and saw over 20 deer and I still haven't harvested anything.

6. BG33

BG33 6 pointer

Oct 31, 2008
    Manchester, Kentucky
    whats the deal with you guys seeing 20 deer a sitting and not harvesting anything. Thats rediculous. Are you a hunter?

7. Old Oak

Old Oak 6 pointer

Oct 8, 2004
    back in KY!
    1) no I don't have any connection to the dept or insurance company.....BUT I do own a black helicopter :)

2) 50% calling BS on deer numbers.....and there are 1800 active members on here so 900 divided by 291,000 hunting licenses (1995 figures) = 0.31% of the sportsman in Kentucky are on here calling BS....figure if you can use your math, I can use mine too.

Be thankful Kentucky has the one buck rule and the harvest has been very stable over the years.....alot of states can't come close to the quality of whitetails Kentucky has. Overall it is a result of the dept using hunters as a wildlife mgt tool. If hunters don't pull the trigger we have problems with over population that affects statewide herd health.

8. slickhead slayer

slickhead slayer 12 pointer

Nov 14, 2005
    VP OF ADMIN Development
    I don't believe that the Dept is falsifying numbers. I do think they are making assumptions about the herd just from harvest numbers.
    Like I said before, just because I killed the same amount of deer this year as last year, doesn't mean I saw a fraction of the same amount of deer. Harvest numbers are not the end all be all.

9. shaman

shaman 10 pointer

I'm probably the same way. I lost count of how many deer I passed up. When whether or not the freezer gets filled stops being a question, you end up being rather picky. I tried the first week of rifle season to get a big buck and then opted for a smaller 8-pointer. Of all the bucks I saw, he was the biggest.

I filled my second tag the second Friday, because I was looking at a day or so of falling temps over the weekend. The deer was also very cooperative and dropped in the middle of a field, where I could get to the carcass with the truck. To me, that's a big plus. Saturday morning it was 15F and I was glad I wasn't out on the stand.

Am I a hunter? Well, I suppose you can call me an armed ape in a funny orange hat if you like. The fact of the matter is that deer have become a full time hobby with me. I scout almost every week of the year, and the shootin' part has become somewhat of an anti-climax to the rest of it.

I could have stretched the season out a couple of more days, but I was able to put down the rifle and pick up the camera. I got some great shots, mostly landscapes and a few turkey and still managed to spot a half-dozen deer while I was out.

10. rme hunter

rme hunter 8 pointer

Dec 1, 2006
    Breckinridge County
    I am a hunter but I am waiting for a deer until then I wait.

11. ril7572

ril7572 Cyber-Hunter

Jul 9, 2003
    Ky..
    I've re-read this thread a couple of times trying to understand the "conspiracy theories"

According to this thread, KDFW inflates harvest numbers to:

1. Keep the insurance companies happy. So they would put their most valuable asset (deer herd) at risk to satisfy companies that provide no funding and have no vested interst in the department:confused:

2.Maintain revenue. So hunters study the harvest results, before buying a licence?? Do you really believe that hunter numbers would be lower next year if harvest declined?? Several years ago we had some bad hatches that effected the turkey harvest, Why didn't KDFW manipulate these numbers???

With telecheck review, most harvest are identified by Person, date, county, and weapon. Hard to argue these hunters listed didn't kill the deer they checked in.

There is a harvest of about 20% for "unknown or youth" Youth hunters 12 and under aren't required to purchase a licence. Landowners and dependents are not required to purchase licence, If they have never purchased a licence, they are not in the system, they show as "unknown or youth". Kentucky has alot of small parcels, and alot landowners. These to groups could easly total 20% of the harvest.

Maybe I'm missing something??? I'm sure it will be explained to me soon:)

I really don't understand why a few individuals have such a problem with how the department manages our resources. Are they perfect? Of course not, but for someone that loves the outdoors, Kentucky is a pretty damn good place to live. I know several indivduals that are associated with the department. From commissioners, to biologist, to CO's. they all do the best they can to provide us with a quality time afield, personally appreciate all of them. JMO

Last edited: Nov 28, 2008
  12. 130orBust

130orBust 6 pointer

Nov 14, 2006
    KY
    Here is the problem there are to many counties zoned by there suburban deer population. Everyone know there are 3 times the deer where you cant hunt them. The biggest complains about deer damage come from those areas. High harvest numbers keep those people thinking that the problem it being taken care of. I can see more deer in one evening in my parents backyard than hunting a 100 acres of prime farm land for a week that is 15 mins. away.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2008
  13. Honestly, has this really been a banner year?

I hunt 3 counties currently and I have friends all over the state. Maybe it is coincidental and just limited to my circle of hunting friends, but I have a hard time believing this http://fw.ky.gov/newsrelease.asp?nid=446. No one I have spoken to has reported a large number of deer sightings and many of the guys I know that are consistant in harvesting deer have had poor success. The year after a EHD year (sorry KDF&W but the hunters already testified of how it impacted their counties from the visual evidence), a bumber mast crop this season(that limited deer movement), a full moon on the first weekend of gun season (that resulted in nightime rut activity) and the KDF&W wants us to believe that we had the 2nd largest November harvest ever? Do they think we are stupid? What did they turn Julio and his whole clan loose with unlimited tags last week or what? I am so sick of being told year after year that our deer herd is 1 million no matter what and also that the harvest goal is met or exceeded even when it is evident amoung all the hunters in KY that we do not have the deer herd we had 10 or even 5 years ago. Sooner or later somebody has got to call B---S---! Well I just did. Stop lying to us for political and monetary gain. Remember without sportsman there would be no KDF&W and no resources. It's about time the our herd gets managed like it deserves and the hunters get the truth.

14. str8 shot

str8 shot 12 pointer

Nov 4, 2006
    berea kantuckie
    just because you and your freinds didnt see/kill any deer this year doesnt mean the whole state of ky didnt either...yes most people have seen less amount of deer this year but that doesnt mean there not killing them,IMO theres probably way over 1 million deer in the state and its just going to keep on gettin bigger if ya ask me...why would they lie to us about something like that anyways?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.