Not your typical Panther in KY thread.

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by sacmarata, Dec 19, 2014.

1. rcurry

rcurry 6 pointer

Mar 29, 2006
    Adair county, ky
    I am a big sissy and as of now I do feel very comfortable being out on the waterways and woods solo. The idea of having top predators like big cats, bears, gators would alter my outdoor feel happy time that I appreciate so much. Outdoors in South Central Kentucky is my home and happy safe place and I'd like it to continue to be just that.

2. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    I agree but I feel that bears and gators are in a different category than cougars. Bears are omnivores and generally fear humans. Gators habitat is limited to a proximity of water. Both hunt completely different than big cats.

3. Tufrthnails

Tufrthnails 10 pointer

Oct 27, 2014
    Lakeland, FL
    Florida is right behind Kentucky in Cattle production and we have panthers. I have seen 3 while driving and never seen one in the woods in my 35 years. I am close friends with several ranchers and never heard any of them complain about panthers killed there Cattle, what they do complain about is the Coyotes killing there calves. Come to think of it I can't recall a single panther attack in Florida. Now I am curious I am going to see if I can find and reports.

It seems we might have had our first ever reported Panther attack in Florida back in April. this is from Wiki: "At least 20 people in North America were killed by cougars between 1890 and 2011, including six in California."

Last edited: Dec 20, 2014
  4. Wampuscat

Wampuscat 10 pointer

Apr 10, 2009
    Louisville
    Bring them, I think it would be great.

5. Coot_Meurer

Coot_Meurer 10 pointer

Nov 4, 2006
    Not here anymore
    NO - don't want them. The same answer I would give with wolves.

The only direct experience I have had is at my brothers ranch. Had to help him take a foal down to Ft. Collins to get stitched up. Seems when winter gets hard, and the wild game migrate down to lower elevations, they cougars will eat/attack domestic critters, like $5000 warmblood foals.

Whereas bears are omnivores, and likely to be a nuisance eating garbage, they are not likely to eat pets or livestock. Cougar on the other hand is a year round carnivore, and I would expect quite a few non-game kills.

6. randy grider

randy grider 12 pointer

Mar 15, 2006
    Burgin, KY
    I want to answer this question incorrectly now, if I knew for sure the punishing teacher was one of those 20 something smoking hot female teachers that "punish" their male students in the unorthodox ways I hear they do now. When I was in high School the teachers appeared 80 something, with blue hair, and big paddles. Times have changed. (for the better?)

7. bigpuddin43

bigpuddin43 12 pointer

Feb 21, 2007
    bucktown
    I would welcome them. They would decrease deer numbers some but if numbers were controlled it wouldn't change much except move the deer and elk into more open areas because cougars are a forest animal for the most part. So deer and elk would move into more open areas and therefore be easier to hunt. Then we could have cougar hunts which would be fun. Lived in South Dakota and there were still plenty of deer elk and cows from what I have seen. Honestly they were thick as could be there seeing as they had a quota of 50 and would kill their 50 before Wyoming reached 50 every year and Wyoming could use dogs. Sd they called them in like coyotes. I don't think they should be relocated but if they were to come here naturally I would have no issue with it.

8. jayder85

jayder85 10 pointer

I would be all for it. Just like our elk they are historically native. For that matter, Bison back in KY would be an awesome thing. Unfortunately, we are too greedy and selfish to allow native species back into their home region for fear of them damaging our crops and eating our Yorkies.

9. sacmarata

sacmarata 10 pointer

Jul 28, 2014
    there
    This pretty much sums up my sentiments. Pretty much, other than a rare Copper head or Water Moccasin, we don't have much to worry about much in Central KY. I like my happy place.

10. patiodadio

patiodadio 8 pointer

Mar 22, 2014
    Hum, tuff question, all my family live in the backwoods of Eastern KY. If it means there might be a chance one of my small nieces or nephews could be cat food then I must say no to bringing back big cats.

11. Wampuscat

Wampuscat 10 pointer

Apr 10, 2009
    Louisville
    Whoa, I didn't realize all these outdoorsy types were scared of kitty's. Pretty funny.

Two thoughts, less hunters for the fear of cats? +1 cats. Second how do all these people that venture outside their homes in mountain lion infested lands survive? They Must be tough and have extra senses.

Bring them back only for the pure comedy of the story's that would come from every person who heard a bump in the night.

12. Tom Threetoes

Tom Threetoes 10 pointer

Oct 4, 2002
    southern Indiana.
    I don't live in KY but I wouldn't want 'em. There's nothing to gain by having them and if I wanted to see one I'd go to the zoo. We've got a growing population of bobcats here and I don't want them either. They're dang good turkey killers and not good for much else.

13. sacmarata

sacmarata 10 pointer

Jul 28, 2014
    there
    That's pretty funny and a lot of truth to it...BUT...I'm pretty sure if face to face any smart hunter would be scared of Kitty.

14. bigpuddin43

bigpuddin43 12 pointer

Feb 21, 2007
    bucktown
    After living in sd and seeing them a mile down the road from where I was just walking around in the dark turkey hunting it makes you think. However very few attacks in the history of the us. It's more a mental thing. You know they are there then every twig that snaps is a mt lion that is stalking you.

15. jayder85

jayder85 10 pointer

Oh yea, from an ecological standpoint, Bobcats have no redeeming factors. Sorry, but you my friend are dead wrong.