Not a Sound

hunter1943

Spike
Oct 13, 2011
We came to our usual opening day spot this morning with hopes of finding some birds. We have been hunting this spot on opening day since around 97. On average we hear 10 - 12 hammering on roost. Some years they will stop after flydown, some theydon't.

Never have we came that there weren't at least a few gobbling. Today they didn't. It's 8:38 and still not a sound. I haven't even heard a hen.. I know they are here. My partner came Thursday morning and heard several early. He also saw one or two strutting as he was leaving.

Don't have a clue what's up. Strange to say the least. What's even more strange is I have only heard 2 shots off in the distance...
Hope everyone else has more excitement than we have this morning.

XBO Killa

Fawn
Sep 3, 2011
Quiet in my neck of the woods too. Had one hen come in scratching and kicking leaves all around and no gobblers close or even close enough to chase by the sound of gobbles. She was very noisy and I thought she may help attract one. Appeared to be lots of hunters in the area according to the vehicles we passed coming in but only heard a few shots at a distance. Maybe it will pick up.

Grunt-n-Gobble

6 pointer
Jan 2, 2012
Central KY
Not much happening where I was either. Had a hen and a jake come in, but no longbeards. They were gobbling a little on roost but shut up after fly down.Hopefully tomorrow will turn out better...

hunter1943

Spike
Oct 13, 2011
Don't know what's up here. There is the usual amount of sign. Looks like a crew has been in the woods with rakes. There are fresh places where it looks like herds have been feeding in the leaves. In two days we haven't heard one gobble. Not one. Not a peep on roost or all morning. We have been hunting this spot for 10-12 years and this is the first year ever to hunt here and not hear gobbling 2 days in a row. The birds are here but sure not working. We have tried about everything we know to try. I am setting a few yards off an old roadbed with a couple of decoys set up in the road. Don't know how many we've seen strut in this place over the years but it has been a lot. May call a little in a minute. I don't like to call a lot on days when the hens are silent. May try and get aggressive and see what happens. Going to have to do something. The wind is going to blow us off the hillside before long.

Good luck.

DRS

Banned
Mar 3, 2010
Kentucky
Don't know what's up here. There is the usual amount of sign. Looks like a crew has been in the woods with rakes. There are fresh places where it looks like herds have been feeding in the leaves. In two days we haven't heard one gobble. Not one. Not a peep on roost or all morning. We have been hunting this spot for 10-12 years and this is the first year ever to hunt here and not hear gobbling 2 days in a row. The birds are here but sure not working. We have tried about everything we know to try. Good luck.

Don't feel bad hunter1943 as this is my forth season Turkey Hunting, and I've not seen one bird, in the four years I've hunted Turkeys. Went this morning but once again saw nothing but heard one gobble way far away from where I was hunting. I sure would like to know the "secrets" those Hunters, that have bagged a Turkey hunting only 1/2 hour into their Turkey Hunt. :confused:

Storkfish1

6 pointer
Dec 18, 2010
Visalia, KY
I had 3 seperate toms arguing back and forth for nearly 90 minutes. Couldn't get one to come within sight to save my life though. I did get a cool video of 3 young bucks sniffing at my decoy for several minutes just around 8:00. That was pretty cool!

KYhunter79

12 pointer
Dec 11, 2003
Irvington, KY
Don't feel bad hunter1943 as this is my forth season Turkey Hunting, and I've not seen one bird, in the four years I've hunted Turkeys. Went this morning but once again saw nothing but heard one gobble way far away from where I was hunting. I sure would like to know the "secrets" those Hunters, that have bagged a Turkey hunting only 1/2 hour into their Turkey Hunt. :confused:

Are you hearing birds? How is your set up? Are you in all camo including gloves and mask? Is your outline broke up and are you being still? Sorry to hear that you aren't seeing birds, but glad to hear that you've stayed with it for 4 years without seeing birds.

DRS

Banned
Mar 3, 2010
Kentucky
Are you hearing birds? How is your set up? Are you in all camo including gloves and mask? Is your outline broke up and are you being still? Sorry to hear that you aren't seeing birds, but glad to hear that you've stayed with it for 4 years without seeing birds.

Thanks, KYhunter79.:) Yes, I have all the necessary equipment for Turkey Hunting. Also, I am not a quitter by any means. I hunt on my own mostly wooded property and normally hear lots of Turkeys before the Spring Season, but when the season opens they seem to be few & far between, or GONE. Here recently I've only seen three hens in my back field and that is the only Turkeys I've see, (the SAME ones.) Guess they each have a nest nearby, but I haven't seen a Tom since the 15th of March and then I saw SEVEN together near the edge of my woods. Just wonder if some of these folks here are feeding the Turkeys (During legal times way before the season) and getting them to stay in the area where they expect to find food. OR maybe they have food plots to draw in the Turkeys. I just find it amazing that some folks here are able to harvest their Toms just hunting 20 minutes into the first morning. Beginning to think my property is NOT really good Turkey habitat enough to hold them during the seasons. Got a lot of Deer here though and normally harvest my Buck (or Doe) on the first day of rifle season.

Apr 13, 2003
I share in the misery of opening weekend. Very little gobbling. Worst for me is the fact gobblers were completely indifferent to decoys or calls. Too many hens still walking around. I am hopeful this will improve later in the season.

Latest posts