Northwoods

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by PCoGrousehunter, Jun 3, 2018.

1. KY Grouse Hunter

KY Grouse Hunter 6 pointer

Nov 2, 2007
    Southeastern Kentucky
    Heading back. 0 moved day 1; 2 moved day two; 4 moved day three; 15 day four; and 15 day five. No young birds and four resident woodcock moved. You guys can tell me what I’m doing wrong but I talked to two pro handlers and they went home early.

2. Quailtail

Quailtail Spike

Oct 3, 2006
    Versailles KY
    Hunted last week in the UP, Eastern part. About 40 miles north of the bridge. Weather was horrible. Wind, rain, snow. Pristine cover was hunted with well seasoned grouse dogs. 3 woodcock seen, and less than 10 grouse flushes. No birds taken. Had the weather been better perhaps we could have found more birds, but frankly, I do not think the grouse were there to begin with this year. The woodcock may still show up

3. Bee

Bee 10 pointer

Mar 14, 2005
    the last two reports above reflect what I have heard from locals in UP and Wisc as well as some fine bird dog men who have been there in each area in last two week but do not participate in this forum

4. Michigander

Michigander 8 pointer

Dec 8, 2014
    Radcliff
    hunted the EUP around Pickford the weekend of the 6th. Very few birds, Ended up with 3 woodcock and 2 Grouse. Worst year in a while.

5. Lucky Dog

Lucky Dog Spike

Feb 2, 2017
    I went to Michigan again this year and hunted from Houghton Lake northeast to Kalkasa. I checked the weather for rain before I went but failed to check the wind which was about 25 mph everyday. We hunted every type of terrain you can imagine. What grouse we did kill were full of crabapples. A trapper told me about a spot he thought was good and it was loaded with the apples but we did not have a single point. Our days there ranged from 0 birds found to one day with maybe 10-11 flushes some of which were wild. I found more woodcock in 4 hours at Miller Welch while running my dogs the week before I left than I did on the entire trip. I also found woodcock at the area after I came back. I think the bulk had already moved. The numbers have seemed to go down for me each year as far as grouse are concerned up north Many of you know the area much better than I do as I was accustomed to finding enough grouse in Kentucky for my needs. Last year I went to the UP and it was worse than lower Michigan. From some early reports I have received I am hoping for a little better hunting in Kentucky this year. Linda Ordiway, the regional RGS biologist said Pennsylvania numbers were equal to last year and maybe up in some parts of the state. Our local RGS chapter is working on a big project which will involve the Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Elk, Quail Forever, Wild Turkey Federation and possibly other nature organizations. It will involve private land as well as Forest Service land. I will try to keep you posted as it moves forward. There will also be a southern region RGS meeting about moving forward on projects in Asheville, North Carolina on January 18, 19. You can let me know if you are interested in attending.

6. grouseguy

grouseguy 12 pointer

I’m taking the day off today with the rain ... planning on heading into Phillips for a late breakfast and then watching the Packer game with friends.

Not sure what’s going on with the other guys, but the 1st 3 days have been much better than expected. Moving 12-15 birds a day hunting by myself with one dog down at a time. WC seem to have moved out though.

Some of you won’t believe it, but my buddy and another guide (flambeauforestoutfitters.com) took out 4 clients Friday (2groups) and flushed 43 & 57 ... yes, that’s right 100 flushes between 2 groups in a single day. Clients killed 9, which is great for client shooting.

7. Deadbeat

Deadbeat 6 pointer

Feb 4, 2008
    Frenchburg
    I put up a little over 40 grouse my first day hunting, little coveys everywhere of young birds. The other days I averaged 20 to 30 different grouse.

8. Lucky Dog

Lucky Dog Spike

Feb 2, 2017
    I am encouraged. Made my first full fledged Kentucky hunt today and found 1 covey of quail , a half dozen or so woodcock, and flew 2 grouse with a point on what I thought to be a third. Two grouse were flown in an area where I had not seen birds for a couple of years. The grouse seemed to be higher on the hill at the edge of more mature woods. I don't know if there is a beechnut crop yet or what they were feeding on as we did not get a shot at one and the other flew from a different blowdown than the dogs were pointing. Points on every bird we saw. This follows reports of a few more grouse sightings this year. A driver we passed said he had observed a mother grouse with two half grown grouse this summer. Keep others posted if you are seeing more grouse this year and what they are feeding on for future efforts to improve habitat.

Deadbeat and BirdBuster like this.
  9. Quailtail

Quailtail Spike

Oct 3, 2006
    Versailles KY
    Congratulations on a good hunt.

10. grouseguy

grouseguy 12 pointer

Basically all of the southern hunters left last weekend. Hunting is getting better and into more normal patterns this week.

Birds are holding much better and my 2 young/inexperienced dogs made a lot of progress this week.

Best day flush-wise was 41 on Tuesday.

Took today off with snow (1.5”) early, turning to a steady rain in the afternoon. I’ll expect birds to be congregated around the evergreens tomorrow after today’s weather.

11. grouseguy

grouseguy 12 pointer

12. grouseguy

grouseguy 12 pointer

Rain turned back to snow early, but I got out for 2.5-3.0 hours after the snow stopped and flew 15 and brought 3 home. All birds were either on the evergreen edges or flushed out of evergreens.

Supposed to start raining again at 6:00 tonight and keep raining through 8:00 am Wednesday.

Looks like I’ll be cleaning and organizing my garage and putting up grill and deck furniture during lulls in the rain tomorrow.

Then it’s supposed to turn cold ... highs in the 20’s for the next several days.