Northwoods

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by PCoGrousehunter, Jun 3, 2018.

1. ribsplitter

ribsplitter Cyber-Hunter

Jan 19, 2004
    Greenup, ky, USA.
    October will see me Good Lord willing floating around grass mats on Guntersville frog fishing. I just don't feel that it's fair for me to keep dogs for a yearly trip North . There is nothing in Kentucky for a bird dog.

Bee likes this.
  2. grouseguy

grouseguy 12 pointer

FYI ... I spent last week up north helping my buddy with the start of bear season. He was running 18 baits per day (Price & Sawyer Counties) for 8 clients, so we logged plenty of gravel road time with 3-5 groups keeping baits fresh and shuttling clients in and out. From talking to a lot of the hound hunters, who were still training and waiting on their season to open today, we were all seeing several birds. Don't get me wrong, nothing like the numbers of the past, but they had been seeing basically nothing until the past 2 weeks. Most were singles, but also several small groups of 2-4.

I still expect a poor season, but do have some hope now, where I had very little before.

3. Bee

Bee 10 pointer

Mar 14, 2005
    How many elk did Ky trade to wisconsin. Read elsewhere that Wisconsin was trading Missouri 300 ruff grouse . Isn't Ky in line to get wisconsin grouse too?

4. KY Grouse Hunter

KY Grouse Hunter 6 pointer

Nov 2, 2007
    Southeastern Kentucky
    Grouse are the most sensitive to any kind of unnatural stress. That includes being trapped, held, travelled hundreds of miles, then released into a totally different environment. Very very low success for grouse in terms of transplantation to generational succession. Been done too many times in this state alone not to learn it’s a fruitless effort. Habitat + Interval Disturbance - Viruses/Diseases = Best Case Scenario for Grouse. Transplantation isn’t the answer.

KYBOY likes this.
  5. Lucky Dog

Lucky Dog Spike

Feb 2, 2017
    Talked to a RGS member in Michigan where I hunt and he reported seeing broods of grouse while he was running his dogs. On another positive note I have had reports of brood sightings in Kentucky from different sources. Turkey and quail hatches have been reported as successful so hopefully this has carried over to ruffed grouse as well. We will be meeting with the Forest Service this week to look at some potential cutting sites where grouse have been reported this year as well as some old clearcuts. At the end of the season last year I began to see a few more grouse as well. Keep your hopes up for 2-3 years of successful hatches. As long as the woods are there I will be in them with my dogs.

6. Deadbeat

Deadbeat 6 pointer

Feb 4, 2008
    Frenchburg
    The locals where I hunt have reported some good news, the guy drove 3 miles on the road looking and seen 8 grouse. I am going to try some new spots in KY this year, got a report from a private landowner that has been seeing grouse and told me to come hunt them. As always, it is ruffed grouse hunting, if it was easy everyone would be doing it.

7. bird whisperer

bird whisperer 12 pointer

Aug 16, 2012
    Hog Town USA
    So I found myself up in the north woods for the opener for some business meetings. The first words out of one of the peaple I was meeting with were did you bring your shotgun. I had to explain how I had decided it was to big a hastle and had left it at home. He said small game came in today and I can let you borrow a shotgun. So off to the bait shop we go and I had my first Wisconsin license. Grabbed a box of shells and stopped at a walmart and purchased laceup boots, T-shirt, a can of Permethrin and some DEET spray. Spent Sunday pushing my way through some of the thickest young growth I remember ever hunting. Keep in mind I was without dogs and I was hunting solo. My GPS showed I walked rite at 4 miles in 6 hunts. On my second walk I flushed my first grouse and on the 5th walk I flushed my second bird. On my way into the 6th hunt my leg started to cramp from all the hi-stepping over and through everything so I had to call it a day. I did see several guys running bear baits but only saw bear sign once. In my own little world I had a great time the only way it could of been more enjoyable is if I had been behind a dog and if I had a friend with me to share the experiance. I may never make it back to the Chequamegon but if I do I hope to do it after the leaves drop and to have a few friends and a dog or two. It truely was an enjoyable experiance.

8. Chessie202

Chessie202 6 pointer

Nov 15, 2004
    Harrison Co.
    I'm hearing positive reports.

9. Quailtail

Quailtail Spike

Oct 3, 2006
    Versailles KY
    Planning on leaving Saturday the 13th, October for the UP, East side. A young setter bitch that is probably too much to handle for this old man, but hope to have some fun watching her flush birds, and maybe, just maybe she might decide to point one.

10. BirdBuster

BirdBuster 6 pointer

Apr 4, 2010
    Just got back from Wisconsin. The numbers seem to be up slightly from last year. Found several woodcock. Due to the weather, lost most of the week of hunting. Flew two groups of grouse, of which I was able to take a bird from each. Both birds were this years hatch. That was promising. Birds were in choke cherries. Good luck to those headed up north.

11. Chessie202

Chessie202 6 pointer

Nov 15, 2004
    Harrison Co.
    We found better numbers of grouse this year than we did last year hunting the same areas. I was really pleased with what we saw. The weather was horrible with solid rain for all but 1 day we were there. And on a side note I had a friend show me a picture he took of a Grouse on his farm this summer.

12. PCoGrousehunter

PCoGrousehunter Spike

Jan 21, 2008
    Butler Kentucky
    Just got back. Moved about 25 per day. Love the Northwoods.

13. spotterky

spotterky 6 pointer

Oct 14, 2004
    My hunting crew is in Price Co. Wisconsin right now. Having a pretty good time of it. I couldn't go. Moving 10-20 grouse a day and at least that many woodcock. Killing limits of woodcock and several grouse each day.

14. Deadbeat

Deadbeat 6 pointer

Feb 4, 2008
    Frenchburg
    I just got back last night, we seen a lot of young birds. I had really good dog work, got my limit on grouse 3 days out of 5 and on woodcock 1 day although we didn't see many of them.