Northwoods Grouse 2022

Feedman

Cyber-Hunter
May 28, 2003
In the basement
Understood HC … it’s been very hot sitting 6-7 hours a day in a bear blind. Luckily, I finally filled my tag Wednesday. I’ve spent the last couple of days getting meat worked up and some to processor for some snack sticks and summer sausage, and the pelt to taxidermist, plus squaring away all the bear gear and getting grouse stuff ready to go.

May go for a little walk or two this weekend, but my daughter and SIL have been visiting and she’s helping grousegal with my birthday dinner tomorrow.

Been seeing more and more grouse while driving and baiting … even watched a few from blind. Flew 5 WC one evening walking from blind to truck. Sightings are up as leaves fall and temps drop. I’ll start grousing seriously starting Monday.
Got a picture of your bear?

grouseguy

12 pointer
Dec 9, 2001
Phillips, WI / Grayson, KY
1664117676718.jpeg

9/21/2022 269 lbs. (field dressed)

grouseguy

12 pointer
Dec 9, 2001
Good looking coat on that bear. Congrats
Thanks … originally I hadn’t planned on having it mounted and had looked into selling the pelt and skull, but after seeing the pelt in this one plus the size of its head and front paws relative to its size, my buddies put on the hard sell, so it’s now at the taxidermist for a rug / wall hanging.

Bee

10 pointer
Mar 14, 2005
Interesting that grouse we are killing are very small and I guess very young. Must be a late hatch in this area. Some WC but it is very dry.

Buzzy

10 pointer
Oct 15, 2013
Interesting that grouse we are killing are very small and I guess very young. Must be a late hatch in this area. Some WC but it is very dry.
I live up there during the summer and fall, I've been having good luck on state land. Mainly in swamps that dried out from this summer with evergreen's lining the edge. One of the best bird years anyone has seen for years in my area. I'm a little northeast of where you are hunting.

The year was very dry and the raspberry's were thin, the trout cricks were low and half the swamps drained.

Happy Camper

6 pointer
Oct 26, 2013
I missed a trip due to a health issue, on the first day of my second trip now. Made it up just in time for the winter storm. The good news is it's supposed to warm every day now, and hopefully melt the snow. Today was actually a good day to be out until the 40 mph wind. Flew 8-10 wild birds just out of range, had 2 solid points, whiffed one and dropped one. Found a ton of tracks in the thick spruce and a lot in the popples, found no tracks on a snowmobile trail I like with generally lots of birds. Crop had berries, no clover as the clover is a foot under snow right now. The wind and snow had us back early as the dog couldn't pick up a bird in that wind had there been one. Logged 5 1/5 miles and feel good about the birds seen, just waiting on the weather to hopefully cooperate tomorrow. Good luck to all still after them.

Attachments

• 20221018_121458_resize_16.jpg
    20221018_121458_resize_16.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 17
  • 20221018_102804_resize_92.jpg
    20221018_102804_resize_92.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 18

grouseguy

12 pointer
Dec 9, 2001
Hey HC, good to hear you made it back north.

Weather has been tough. Lots of WIND and mostly dry.

Birds have responded to more moisture recently and we’re finding birds in more normal covers the past week. WC have been hit and miss depending on flights … lots of coming and going.

Should be a good next few days to be up north if weather holds.

Happy Camper

6 pointer
Oct 26, 2013
Had a great day finding birds after the wind laid down and sun came out. The first two coverts found only three birds in the morning hunt, two solid points and one harvested. The afternoon/evening hunt flew 15 birds, six to eight solid points but only dropped one bird. Somehow I wasn't tuned in whiffing on the gimme shots. The dog did his job as usual, point and retrieve, just wasn't a ton of retrieving. I would love to have many of those opportunities back. We logged about 13 miles so going to give the dog, and myself a break this morning with a late start. Good luck to you GG and all those still chasing.

BTW, I had spoken to a local baiting for bears in the area I hunted in the morning. I saw two bears up the trail about one mile in so I decided that would be a great place to turn back toward the truck. I don't think my little 28 guage would scare or phase them.

Happy Camper

6 pointer
Oct 26, 2013
It was another great trip north. Came home a day early as the dog and myself were just worn down. Started the week with a lot of snow and ended it with sun and 60 degrees. Harvested 3 the last day and flew 15. The old pup had solid points on several. I may watch the weather and try a November or December trip as it's hard to get your fill of chasing grouse. Good luck to all still chasing.

Attachments

• 20221021_165509_compress45.jpg
    20221021_165509_compress45.jpg
    719.7 KB · Views: 12

Latest posts