Northwoods 2017

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by Happy Camper, Jun 3, 2017.

1. Happy Camper

Happy Camper 6 pointer

Oct 26, 2013
    I

Last edited: Jan 31, 2021
  2. Bee

Bee 10 pointer

Mar 14, 2005
    I know I will pay a lot of attention to fooding and hatch period rain totals before l plan a trip this year. Lesson learned

3. birdshooter

birdshooter 6 pointer

Jan 22, 2012
    Greenup Ky
    Drumming count are up in Michigan. Wisconsin had a tornado in Rusk and Baylor counties 2 weeks ago which gave Sawyer. Price and Ashland counties 9 inches of rain in 2 days with 1.5 inch hail. Only hope for that area will be a good renesting.

4. JonDunn

JonDunn 10 pointer

Dec 26, 2005
    Up the holler
    Headed up the first and last week of Oct. I've been ready since I left last year. I'll be headed up with 2 new dogs.

5. grouseguy

grouseguy 12 pointer

FYI ... that big storm and all hail just caught the southern end of Price, along with most of the rain. Our place on Soo Lake got basically nothing from that storm. However, you're correct that it did pound some areas, including Rusk where I do a good bit of hunting. Just providing a little extra local info.

We're going up the 1st two weeks of July, so hopefully I can provide some first hand info.

6. grouseguy

grouseguy 12 pointer

We're scheduled to be in Phillips from Oct 7 thru Nov 4.

Good luck with your young male. If possible, I'd like to get together and watch him work.

Also, if anyone is going early and looking for a nice place to stay, our home on Soo Lake is open from the start of season till Oct 7. PM me for details.

JonDunn likes this.
  7. birdshooter

birdshooter 6 pointer

Jan 22, 2012
    Greenup Ky
  8. jarrodcombs

jarrodcombs 6 pointer

Feb 23, 2007
    salvisa ky
    We are going a little later this year. 19th thru the 29th. Like Jon dunn, it stays on my mind year round

9. BirdBuster

BirdBuster 6 pointer

Apr 4, 2010
    2 new dogs. Lets see some pictures.

10. JonDunn

JonDunn 10 pointer

Dec 26, 2005
    Up the holler
    The pics I have on phone says they are to large to upload.

11. Deadbeat

Deadbeat 6 pointer

Feb 4, 2008
    Frenchburg
    Send them to me Jon and I'll post them to my photobucket and link them here.

12. Bee

Bee 10 pointer

Mar 14, 2005
    looks like minnesota got hammered with heavy hail in middle of the state. snow plows out to clear roads...

13. PCoGrousehunter

PCoGrousehunter Spike

Jan 21, 2008
    Butler Kentucky
    Grouseguy: When you say southern end of Price, do you mean only south of Hwy 8, or also north of 8 and below Phillips? I guess a lot of Sawyer got it too? Let us know what you see and hear when you go up this summer. Thanks.

14. grouseguy

grouseguy 12 pointer

Our place is on Soo Lake off of W about 10 miles west of Phillips ... just north of the Skinner Creek area and we got nothing from that big storm. It appeared to track right along US 8 through Price County. It may have been a little north of 8 in places, but through that area, it seemed to hit south of 8. I was keeping track of that storm as I was getting email alerts from the Weather Channel about a tornado warning that night.

We got 5+" of rain last week. Soo Lake was up about 18" above normal ... we almost had the decking float off of our dock, but our neighbor said it went down before we lost the dock, but this rain shouldn't be a problem ... chicks should have plenty of feathers by now and it remained warm.

I'll be fishing the Flambeau River when I'm up in July and will report on what I see then.

15. Bee

Bee 10 pointer

Mar 14, 2005
    Just saw a summary of Wisconsin drumming report for this spring. It showed 17% increase statewide and 30% in north (whatever that means). Let me warn the unsuspecting that a drumming count can be very misleading in a year when extreme weather (read flooding, snow, hail, tornadoes) affects nests or eggs or poults or hens. Do not ask me how I know this.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2017