Northwood grouse trips

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by jarrodcombs, Jun 23, 2015.

1. Birdman

Birdman Cyber-Hunter

Feb 26, 2002
    Paintsville, KY, USA.
    Knock your hat in the creek Wells. I've got to agree, Terry fixed some last week that were good eating. I may go back north later in the year you interested in taking the mold off those setters and go with me?

2. Birdman

Birdman Cyber-Hunter

Feb 26, 2002
    Paintsville, KY, USA.
  3. Chessie202

Chessie202 6 pointer

Nov 15, 2004
    Harrison Co.
    There seemed to be a lot of birds in the UP, I was pleased with our flush rate. Our flush to kill rate was down considerably, the leaves were still on and very green. You could almost see them turning while we were there. In 19 years of going north I have never seen it that green this time of year. We found very few Woodcock also. It was really dry hardly no water in the bogs where we were at.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2015
  4. jarrodcombs

jarrodcombs 6 pointer

Feb 23, 2007
    salvisa ky
    I agree on the heavy foliage and flush to kill ratio. I've never seen it that green in October either. My 75% kill ratio was a little down this year. YEAH RIGHT, I wish it was prob closer to 7.5%

5. uplandchessies

uplandchessies 10 pointer

Mar 20, 2002
    Florence, Ky, USA.
    Had the same results in MI. Grouse numbers were slightly better than last year and ducks were good.Actually got some teal this year. Had a buddy make it for his first trip and he did well killing his first grouse, several woodcock and some ducks. I told him it was a fair year at best.

6. grouseguy

grouseguy Cyber-Hunter

My son has been up for the first week and we've had a better than average run. Lots of wind and running birds for the most part. Still waiting on the woodcock to arrive here. I've maybe seen a dozen or so.

We had low wind and a high of 50 today and flew 18 with 12 pointed on 5 points. My 20 month old female stuck a group of 8. She also provided the highlight of the week with her first grouse point on 2 birds and we got a father/son double.

A big shout out Thank You to Birdman. For some reason, I was having a hard time getting this young female to handle well. She has a crazy motor, but just didn't care anything about obedience. While discussing this with Birdman, he thought he knew how to handle her, so I took her to him last month ... after only 4 days, he said she was ready and he was right. She has handled like a dream, getting better each day and was a hunting and pointing machine today.

Thanks again, Ronnie.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2015
  7. jarrodcombs

jarrodcombs 6 pointer

Feb 23, 2007
    salvisa ky
    I can't believe you guys aren't seeing any woodcock. We hunted from Oct 1 thru 9th. And they were in every alder swamp we got into.

8. jarrodcombs

jarrodcombs 6 pointer

Feb 23, 2007
    salvisa ky
    If I were smart enough to post pics here. I could show you several. You guys may have missed the flight if anything

9. grouseguy

grouseguy Cyber-Hunter

I'm here for 2 more weeks and there are no significant forecasted north or northwestern winds for the next week. I'd like to have some WC for experience for my young dog, but the grouse are holding much better, so I'm liking that.

There were a lot of hunters out today. I think I'll take tomorrow off ... Let me and the dogs rest ... And hit it again Monday.

10. grouseguy

grouseguy Cyber-Hunter

Nothing like watching the light bulb turn on for a young prospect to put a spring in an old grouse hunters step. Hunted by myself this morning and Kat, my 20 month old female, pointed 6 ... a group of 3, another 2 and a single and I managed to bring 2 home with me. It's been a while since I've been this pumped about a young dog ... probably 9 years since Junior, her grandfather, was a youngster.

Anyway, it's 65 degrees now and the sweat and gnats make an afternoon hunt unlikely today. There's supposed to be a northwesterly cold front coming through this evening, so I'm looking forward to some cooler weather and hopefully a flight of woodcock for tomorrow.

11. JonDunn

JonDunn 10 pointer

Dec 26, 2005
    Up the holler
    Got a report from some that are up there right now. They are saying it's very dry. Not doing to good I reckon. Are the birds in the swamps or are they in the popple?

12. grouseguy

grouseguy Cyber-Hunter

Jon,

It's the hottest and driest I've seen this late in October... supposed to get get cooler temps by the weekend and some showers, but no major rain. I've found birds most everywhere, but the bigger numbers are around water. You may have to get out in the tags some, but they're mostly just moist. You won't be going in over your boots.

13. jarrodcombs

jarrodcombs 6 pointer

Feb 23, 2007
    salvisa ky
    We were finding tons of birds in the swamps. I guess we must have found the only flight of woodcock . Seems like no one else is seeing any. We found tons the first week of October north of park falls

14. JonDunn

JonDunn 10 pointer

Dec 26, 2005
    Up the holler
    I hate huntin the tags and swamps. Its hard to see the birds, never mind getting a shot. Id much rather find them in the popple. They are giving some rain I believe for Friday or saturday. I hope that moves them out of the swamps. We are heading out Saturday mornin.

15. jarrodcombs

jarrodcombs 6 pointer

Feb 23, 2007
    salvisa ky
    I agree john. Most of our pointed grouse got away unseen. The leaves were full when I was there. My pointer would find groups of 5 and 6 grouse sometimes. You were lucky to see 1 of them on they way out.