Northwood grouse trips

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by jarrodcombs, Jun 23, 2015.

1. jarrodcombs

jarrodcombs 6 pointer

Feb 23, 2007
    salvisa ky
    I will be hunting friday morning. We are leaving at 7pm thursday. I can not wait. Still getting good bird reports with weather starting to get right

2. Chessie202

Chessie202 6 pointer

Nov 15, 2004
    Harrison Co.
    We are leaving early Friday morning. I haven't slept in 2 days.

3. JonDunn

JonDunn 10 pointer

Dec 26, 2005
    Up the holler
    Please keep us updated. It adds to my excitment. Leavin October 24th.

4. jarrodcombs

jarrodcombs 6 pointer

Feb 23, 2007
    salvisa ky
    I will be sure to post a few reports. Be they good ,bad, or ugly

5. grouseguy

grouseguy 12 pointer

Sounds like you're heading into some quality hunting. Good luck to you all and the dogs.

We're heading north next weekend, too. I'm getting pretty good reports and really looking forward to getting my young dog into some wild birds.

6. jarrodcombs

jarrodcombs 6 pointer

Feb 23, 2007
    salvisa ky
    We arrived in wisconsin yesterday around 9:30. We hunted hard for 2 guys on zerob to minamal sleep. We had 6 solid grouse points. 16 flushes on grouse. I killed 1 of the 2 grouse I shot at and 2 woodcock. My friend lost a bird in a beaver dam log jam. Most of the birds were coming from pine alder mix in lower lying areas

7. jarrodcombs

jarrodcombs 6 pointer

Feb 23, 2007
    salvisa ky
    Great day today. My English pointer was on fire today. I killed 4 grouse over her and 2 woodcock all on points.

8. jarrodcombs

jarrodcombs 6 pointer

Feb 23, 2007
    salvisa ky
    The worm eating mud bats have arrived in swarms. Seems like every small pop please stand and alder swamp has at least 10 in it. Having a hard time getting the dogs out of them. I usually don't shoot them, because I don't like the taste of them. They are great to work a pup on, but our dogs are all past that stage.

9. JonDunn

JonDunn 10 pointer

Dec 26, 2005
    Up the holler
    Awesome!

I always gave em a pass too until last year. Our cabin owner mentioned eatin em for breakfast one day. We thought what the heck, so we started taking some everyday. They do alright fried in bacon grease.

10. ribsplitter

ribsplitter Cyber-Hunter

Jan 19, 2004
    Greenup, ky, USA.
    Ill take a limit of them anytime I can, there great eating , it's all how you fix them. Ive got a couple of recipes from some old grouse and woodcock magazines I have stashed that are as good as grouse or quail.

11. Birdman

Birdman Cyber-Hunter

Feb 26, 2002
    Paintsville, KY, USA.
    as good as grouse or quail.(LOL)

12. ribsplitter

ribsplitter Cyber-Hunter

Jan 19, 2004
    Greenup, ky, USA.
    Knock your hat in the creek Wells.

13. jarrodcombs

jarrodcombs 6 pointer

Feb 23, 2007
    salvisa ky
    Guys, the good news is if your coming north in the next few weeks. I left a few birds for seed. The bad news is hunters are started to role in thick. The virginia,Illinois and kentucky trucks multiplied 6 fold since last week

14. jarrodcombs

jarrodcombs 6 pointer

Feb 23, 2007
    salvisa ky
    The bird numbers seemed up quite a bit compared to the last couple years also. We were averaging 23 flushes a day. I'm sure some were re flushes but how do you ever really know. Any of you who want the timber doodles, just hunt the tag alders, there's thousands of them in those spots

15. Birdman

Birdman Cyber-Hunter

Feb 26, 2002
    Paintsville, KY, USA.
    Knock your hat in the creek Wells. I've got to agree, Terry fixed some last week that were good eating. I may go back north later in the year you interested in taking the mold off those setters and go with me?