Northwood grouse trips

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by jarrodcombs, Jun 23, 2015.

1. crossfire

crossfire 8 pointer

Jun 13, 2006
    Mayfield, Ky
    Got to be careful with this one. GG is a grouse hunter through and through, but I like to deer hunt as well. After getting my wife involved, she claims the largest deer mounted in my den with a 145" 10 point. That makes for awkward storytelling moments!

2. jarrodcombs

jarrodcombs 6 pointer

Feb 23, 2007
    salvisa ky
    My wife used to go to michigan and wisconsin with me before we had kids. She loved it, but I think being super mom trumps bird hunting now a days

3. jrfrmn

jrfrmn Fawn

Dec 23, 2005
    Grouse

Where would these places be? send me a pm.

4. JonDunn

JonDunn 10 pointer

Dec 26, 2005
    Up the holler
    A month from today at this time if it's the Good Lords will and the creek don't rise, we should be somewhere in Indiana, headed on north.

5. grouseguy

grouseguy 12 pointer

Talked to my partner, Jake, last night. He is still mostly guiding for muskies, but he has had 1 half day grouse trip. In 4 hours last Friday, they flushed 20 grouse and 12 woodcock ... leaves are still on thick and bear hunting is in full swing for both houndsmen and bait sitters. However, they boated 48.5" and 47" muskies last week and his boat finished 5th in a tournament on Butternut last weekend for a nice check. The biggest bear in the area so far has been a 503 pounder treed in the Flambeau State Forest, and Jake has 1 remaining bait sitting client still hunting.

6. grouseguy

grouseguy 12 pointer

In northern WI ... if you want more specifics than that, there will be a fee involved. See flambeauforestoutfitters.com for more info.

7. GSP

GSP 14 Pointer Staff Member

Dec 12, 2001
    Montrose
    Speed up, we are about 50 miles ahead of y'all

8. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    It's not his fault. He'll be travellin' with old guys with old bladders...lots of pit stops between here and there.

9. jarrodcombs

jarrodcombs 6 pointer

Feb 23, 2007
    salvisa ky
    I have 7 more long days then north bound baby. Temps are finally dropping and the dogs are primed and ready. I am slightly saddened to leave my 14 yr old shorthand behind again. I think it kills us both when I leave

10. jarrodcombs

jarrodcombs 6 pointer

Feb 23, 2007
    salvisa ky
    I try to sneak the other dogs out without letting her see. She don't see much or hear much, but somehow she can sense it

11. JonDunn

JonDunn 10 pointer

Dec 26, 2005
    Up the holler
    Which reminds me of the stop we made one year. The guy in the wheelchair goin berserk at the gas station.

12. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    My old dog knows it's coming. Last year I walked outside early one dark October morning and she was in the kennel going wild. I wondered what was up, and let her out and she clawed the paint off the truck trying to get in the back. It dawned on me that those early morning October load-ups for the trip North were as anxiously anticipated by her as they were by me.

13. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    I still don't know what I did to piss off that guy. He was putting along in his easy-glide scooter chair, going the wrong way in my lane, and he flipped me off.

14. Chessie202

Chessie202 6 pointer

Nov 15, 2004
    Harrison Co.
    I'm headed to the Western U.P. next Friday. My contact says that there is a lot of food in the woods and the birds are spread out, but there are plenty of birds to hunt. He also said there is a lot of Woodcock this year.

15. agr_hunter

agr_hunter 6 pointer

Nov 30, 2005
    Over the Hill
    Had to come to Madison for work this week so I snuck up to the northwoods for a two day hunt. 21 birds and three bagged in three shots. Still thick, 77 degree afternoons, and lots of bugs. Got into a covey of 5 and 6. Not bad outing considering the conditions and my Brittany was in heat.