Northwood grouse trips

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by jarrodcombs, Jun 23, 2015.

1. jarrodcombs

jarrodcombs 6 pointer

Feb 23, 2007
    salvisa ky
    We are skipping the michigan opener this year. It will kill me but Oct 3rd Wisconsin trip is still on. BTW my local friends are finding great numbers of grouse while they are gathering there moss in the woods

2. jarrodcombs

jarrodcombs 6 pointer

Feb 23, 2007
    salvisa ky
    Anyone else going north this year for grouse?

3. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    Yep. Middle of October. Might go a second trip after that, we'll see.

4. grouseguy

grouseguy 12 pointer

I'm up north now. Saw a hen grouse dusting on the side of a gravel road yesterday with 8+/- chicks. Was at a party last night with several guys reporting similar sightings.

It's been a wet, but warm spring and it appears to have been a good hatch with good early survival.

Muskies are very active right now, too.

5. Chessie202

Chessie202 6 pointer

Nov 15, 2004
    Harrison Co.
    Im going up th the UP on the 3rd and I can't wait.

6. grouseguy

grouseguy 12 pointer

Went musky fishing yesterday ... weird grouse day ... started off seeing a dead grouse in the road going to my buddy's. Hooked up boat and while on our way saw 3 chicks, about the size of quail, sail across the road and then ... BAM ... mom hit the windshield. Then, coming home, a single grouse on the side of road waited till we got close and then flushed right into the grill.

Of all the time I've spent up north, I'd only ever hit 1 grouse and hit 2 yesterday and seen another that had been hit on the road. All were on main, two lane blacktop roads. Like I said ... Weird day.

7. Birdman

Birdman Cyber-Hunter

Feb 26, 2002
    Paintsville, KY, USA.
    Sounds like it's going to be a good year to me.LOL I hope to be in the northwoods on the Sept. 17 for at least 3 weeks. Working pups today, getting them ready to sale or hunt, really doesn't matter which. If I don't sale them I'll come home for a week and head back north, for a couple more weeks, that is if the boss allows.LOL

8. inchr48

inchr48 10 pointer

May 14, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Anyone ever hunt the Chequamegon Nat'l Forest (WI) ? Thinking about a fishing trip this fall to the Pike/Round chain, and may take the dog up.

9. grouseguy

grouseguy 12 pointer

Are you talking about the area between Park Falls and Minocqua?

10. inchr48

inchr48 10 pointer

May 14, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Yes, the lake chain is just north of 70, about halfway between Park Falls (Fifield?) and Minocqua.

I've never researched hunting the public lands around there, and will if it is worth my time.

11. grouseguy

grouseguy 12 pointer

I'd focus on the western part of that area ... more towards Park Falls. There's some good roads off of (I believe it is) 182 that goes northeast out of Park Falls. It is a popular area for southern out of state hunters, but its a HUGE area, so you shouldn't feel crowed and be able to find enough birds to make it worth your time. I also like the Willow Flowage area, which is south of 70 and a little east of where you're fishing. Concentrate on areas of young aspen (popple) that also have a mixture of spruce and the edges around tag alder swamps.

I don't know if you've lined up your accommodations yet, but if you're looking for a little more than a hotel room or resort cabin, I suggest this site:

http://www.upnorthvacationlodging.com/vacation-rentals-homes.asp

It's the service we use. We're the "Grouse Haus", but we're about 40 miles southwest of where you want to be and will likely be using it ourselves at that time, but there are several options east of Park Falls/Fifield listed.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2015
  12. inchr48

inchr48 10 pointer

May 14, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Thanks for the info. I'm on the fence, hoping Corporate can finish a big project at our plant, to free me up some time in Sep/Oct. We used to stay at Moose Jaw Resort on Round Lake. Had many multiple musky days on that chain, and some decent small mouth and Northern fishing.

My girl, Dani, has never had a grouse under her, so would be a treat for her to go. Plus I have a new to me CZ Bobwhite in 20ga. that I need to draw first blood on.

13. jarrodcombs

jarrodcombs 6 pointer

Feb 23, 2007
    salvisa ky
    That is a really popular area. 182 and 70 both get hit pretty hard for grouse. If you go a little further north you start to lose the crowd.

14. inchr48

inchr48 10 pointer

May 14, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Thanks, I hope this all works out. Only missed 3 years since 1989 going Musky Hunting, usually in the Fall. Fished from Eagle River to Hayward, all along Hwy 70. Now that I have a bird dog, can't help but consider spending a few days afield while I'm there.

15. jarrodcombs

jarrodcombs 6 pointer

Feb 23, 2007
    salvisa ky
    I can almost smell the Northwoods now. Even my dogs seem to know we are getting closer. I can hardly wait. Doesn't get any better than that