North to the Northwoods!

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by JonDunn, Aug 30, 2010.

1. JonDunn

JonDunn 10 pointer

Dec 26, 2005
    Up the holler
    We are headed back as I type this. I believe we came a week early. All the 70 degree weather and wind made it very tough for the dogs. We got points along through the week, but not like we should have with our 2 old dogs. The last day was by far our best. Our old dogs started pointing everything on the last day. It was a pleasure to watch them work. I killed a woodcock over Trust Me's pup on the last day. There wasn't anything left of it though. That Franchi Upland Hunter really mutilates those little woodcock pretty bad. I would have liked to had a couple more days. I'm a little sore, but I could take a couple more. Will post some pics after a days rest or so!

2. brettfrancis1

brettfrancis1 6 pointer

Oct 26, 2006
    Danville, KY
    Got here and hunted this morning flew 12 birds.

3. Mtdrummer

Mtdrummer Spike

Jun 30, 2008
    Paintsville, KY
    Are you in Michigan?

4. brettfrancis1

brettfrancis1 6 pointer

Oct 26, 2006
    Danville, KY
    Yeah, got up several more this evening too.

5. Mtdrummer

Mtdrummer Spike

Jun 30, 2008
    Paintsville, KY
    I will be there in 5 days. Looking at the 10 day weather forecast, it's not looking good. Rain the first three days I'll be there.

6. brettfrancis1

brettfrancis1 6 pointer

Oct 26, 2006
    Danville, KY
    Going back up to the UP in the same place?

7. Mtdrummer

Mtdrummer Spike

Jun 30, 2008
    Paintsville, KY
    Yeah, I was hoping for better weather this year.

8. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    You guys going North right now will have a better time of it. The 2nd week of October was too hot, too dry. Birds were all 20 feet high in the pines for the most part. We got most flushes around the swamps but if the popple patches had lots of pine interspersed, we found birds there too.

183 flushes in 7 days is not bad, but most of those were heard and not seen, and very few were over points. Mostly due to weather but also in part because of unruly dogs. It took a day or two to get them settled down to where they were at the end of the season. Dog training never ends.

9. Sialia67

Sialia67 6 pointer

Sep 4, 2008
    Rowan County
    I enjoyed a brief day and half hunt in the northern lower peninsula of Michigan. Just 10 hours of actual hunting time, but managed 27 grouse flushes and 4 woodcock flushes. The color phase of the grouse was a transition between our red birds and the more northern gray birds - kind of a brown with gray highlights. I did not find many birds in the shrub lowlands. Birds seemed to be along the edges of the aspen and spruce/fir forest types in the evening. In the morning, I discovered birds along the thicker edges of the red pine plantations. I'm guessing they roosted in the pines. In one of the better aspen stands, some mature red oaks were left on the higher ground. I flushed several birds out from under the oaks which were loaded with acorns. My inexperienced shorthair did okay. He nailed the woodcock but seemed to just flash point the grouse. He was just beginning to like grouse when we left. I asked him to fetch the first woodcock. He ran over and caught it as it flipped into the air. Then he proceeded to bite it in half. At least I got the breast meat.

10. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    Thought i'd share this photo. It's a trophy popple tree i cut down while in Wisconsin. It was a nice 2" diameter tree, and a 1 1/8 oz load of #6 brought the top of it out nicely. It was a quick snap shot, perfectly centered. The top of the tree was cleanly severed and was just held up by the surrounding brush.

[​IMG]

Sadly, a grouse was flying by in the line of fire about 20 feet behind the tree and it was killed by a few stray pellets that got through/around the tree. Poor bird. Can't be too careful when you're shooting guns in the woods.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2010
  11. JonDunn

JonDunn 10 pointer

Dec 26, 2005
    Up the holler
    Alright Tom Knapp, maybe you should tell them about the 1 that got away!

12. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    I don't remember anything about that. (And you don't either.)

13. KY Fowl Hunter

KY Fowl Hunter Fawn

Dec 28, 2008
    Elizabethtown, KY
    Great Shot-I've never cut a 2", but have leaned several below 2". Sounds like you made the shot though and had some good success on your trips North. I blew a hole clean thru a fir tree last year, only to have the grouse fly right back at me parallel to the trail. I believe he winked as he went past. I didn't have the nerve to try another shot thru more limbs. I'm not going till 2nd week of NOV. Hope weather is cooler and ticks are cut down to manageable levels. Are ticks bad this year? Good luck on the rest of this trip!

14. JonDunn

JonDunn 10 pointer

Dec 26, 2005
    Up the holler
    I pulled 2 off my dog on the trip. As far as I know, thats the only 2 we encountered.

15. grouseguy

grouseguy 12 pointer

Finally, we have found significant numbers of birds in convenient enough of locations to take clients. There were 3 10+" rains in this area over the summer that apparently didn't hit 20-25 miles north or south of here, and we have found a big area that holds birds south of here, which is good considering I have clients 6 of the next 9 days. Also, while the woods are still wet, the top surface has been VERY dry, but today it rained and even "hailed" enough to coat the ground, which should make scenting conditions MUCH better and the woods much quieter.

I took the day off and cleaned house in anticipation of grousegal flying up on Friday, which will be great after not seeing her for 3+ weeks, and I'll try to check in as often as possible.