North to the Northwoods!

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by JonDunn, Aug 30, 2010.

1. JonDunn

JonDunn 10 pointer

Dec 26, 2005
    Up the holler
    Less than 12 hours now! Ill try to provide some updates through my phone while we are up there, but last year you had to stand with one leg and arm pointing south to get service.

2. jarrodcombs

jarrodcombs 6 pointer

Feb 23, 2007
    salvisa ky
    we just got back from Butternut Wi. The woodcock numbers were higher than I can ever remember in the last 10 years, they were everywhere. The grouse numbers were good also, but due to the midday heat ( high 60s to low 70s) you really had to get wet to get them. Several times I would walk in on point and go over the boots in a water hole. After about three days of being a sissy, I dealt with the wet feet and started getting some grouse. The birds seemed to be holding tight in the swamps, but a little wild everywhere else. I guess the water had them trapped from running. The ticks and mosquitos were a little rough this year, and we even saw a snake in the woods, if you can believe that. Overall a great trip, but 15 degrees cooler would have went a long way. Great luck guys.

3. JonDunn

JonDunn 10 pointer

Dec 26, 2005
    Up the holler
    We made it up here fine. We are finding birds, but the shooting is nearly impossible. Get in the swamps, that's where they are. We have killed 1 out of the swamps in a transition phase. It was in pine and popple.

4. jarrodcombs

jarrodcombs 6 pointer

Feb 23, 2007
    salvisa ky
    Make sure you hunt the last hour of daylight. The grouse seemed to come out of the swamps and were a little easier to hunt. I hope this helps

5. uplandchessies

uplandchessies 10 pointer

Mar 20, 2002
    Florence, Ky, USA.
    Good to hear about the woodcock. Apparently the migration is delayed this year. Was a little worse than I've seen in our area in 11 years.

Glad you had a good trip.

6. JonDunn

JonDunn 10 pointer

Dec 26, 2005
    Up the holler
    Ended up killing 5 birds today. 4 of them was in alder swamps. The walking is very tough in there, the shooting even tougher. I can honestly say we have all shot good today. We had numerous flushed today, mostly wild 30 yarders, but what we have had an oppurtunity on we've connected. I wish these temps would cool down. We came in for a short break today for lunch because of them.

7. bone hunter 74

bone hunter 74 Spike

Apr 26, 2009
    SANDY HOOK,KY
    I will be heading to the UP on the 20th hope the birds are there this yr.They where in the tops of the connifers last yr hard to point 40 foot up.

8. JonDunn

JonDunn 10 pointer

Dec 26, 2005
    Up the holler
    Boys, get your feet wet to find birds. We are flushing numerous in the swamps. We've killed 10 birds since we've been here and 8 has come out of the swamps. We are getting poor dog work though. We will get 2-3 points a day, and then watch our old dogs run through birds without the first sign of being birdy.

9. Birdman

Birdman Cyber-Hunter

Feb 26, 2002
    Paintsville, KY, USA.
    Are the leaves down? Did you get rain today?

10. JonDunn

JonDunn 10 pointer

Dec 26, 2005
    Up the holler
    You have a few leaves here and there, but the majority is gone. It must have rained in the middle of the night last night, it was wet looking all day. Overcast during the day. Most birds are coming out of trees.

11. grousegal

grousegal 6 pointer

May 9, 2008
    Grayson, KY
    I know grouseguy is guiding again today--he's got a husband and wife duo from Tennessee. He said it has been unbearably hot--it's miserable hunting in the afternoon, so I think he is spending most of his time hunting in the morning, and late in the afternoon right before dusk.

He told me Saturday that my 14-month old baby, Max, pointed his first bird!! One of our friends killed it, and Max retrieved it right back to grouseguy!!! My girlfriends and I were eating dinner in Lexington when we heard the big news, and we toasted the newest hunting sensation in our kennel!!! He is an absolutely beautiful dog-I'll have gg post some pictures when he gets time.

Good luck to all of you all headed that way! I'll be flying up next Friday to spend the rest of the month in the great Northwoods. Hopefully, gg will have some time to take me out hunting so I can watch Max do his thing.

12. Chessie202

Chessie202 6 pointer

Nov 15, 2004
    Harrison Co.
    I will be headed to Phillips this coming Saturday for a week in paradise. I will report as often as I can. I havent been to phillips for a few years had been going to Minnesota & 1 trip to Maine however the extra driving time isnt worth the difference in the success. Good luck to everyone & be safe. May your dog always be on point & your barrels be hot!!

13. grousegal

grousegal 6 pointer

May 9, 2008
    Grayson, KY
    Have fun! If you go to Flambeau Forest Inn (Red's) be sure to ask about grouseguy (Mark) up there!

14. GSP

GSP 14 Pointer Staff Member

Dec 12, 2001
    Montrose
    T-60 hours and I am headed NORTH!

15. Chessie202

Chessie202 6 pointer

Nov 15, 2004
    Harrison Co.
    When we started hunting up there we always made it a point to go to Red's at least once we have a few spots out there that we hunt. I'll be sure to ask when I go. Thanks.