North to the Northwoods!

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by JonDunn, Aug 30, 2010.

1. JonDunn

JonDunn 10 pointer

Dec 26, 2005
    Up the holler
    Love that update! Im foaming at the mouth as we speak. Trust me an I will be bringin along a northwoods virgin this year. He gets to clean all the birds, cook, clean, normal stuff a "lady" would do. 1 week from Thursday an Ill be stickin my head out the window screamin for them northwood hotties!

2. uplandchessies

uplandchessies 10 pointer

Mar 20, 2002
    Florence, Ky, USA.
    Leaving around midnight on Thursday with a weird dog that shows potential. Should be interesting.

Good luck to all heading north in the coming weeks.

3. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    Moving 6-7 birds in a bunch? That is great, but in my experience, you only get one shot at those birds. I never have any luck chasing down singles in the Northwoods. They seem to land in the evergreen trees after the first flush, and are very spooky thereafter. Just my experience.

Chasing down singles is easy here in the hills. That bird doesn't want to cross that ridge any more than I do.

4. Birdman

Birdman Cyber-Hunter

Feb 26, 2002
    Paintsville, KY, USA.
    Calling Grouseguy, calling grouseguy, are you out there? Your not spending to much time polishing the bar with your midsection, are you? Come on son give us an update. Still can't find those smillies.

5. jarrodcombs

jarrodcombs 6 pointer

Feb 23, 2007
    salvisa ky
    leaving out tommorow morning. dont think I will be able to sleep tonight. good luck everybody

6. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    Once you get up there you'll have something to smile about.

7. grouser68

grouser68 Banned

Jan 29, 2006
    I have been getting some good reports from some of the locals. My trip has been pushed back to the 12th due to some unforseen duty.I was planning on leaving Sat. night the 2nd of Oct. Oh well, on the bright side I can get a few more quail and maybe a chukar or two out in front of the setter before reporting on Wed.

8. grouseguy

grouseguy 12 pointer

Right here, Ronnie ... sitting out the afternoon due to rain. The first 3 days were less than expected ... I hit some of my best producing places from last season and didn't find many grouse ... plenty of woodcock though.

The past 3 days have been much better ... 20+ grouse per day that are holding much better, which increases the shooting percentages. Tomorrow is supposed to be a high of 51, which will help with the gnats and skeeters and I'll be taking most of Sunday off to take grousegal to the airport in Wausau. Then I'll be left without any adult supervision for the next 3 weeks.:cool:

My observation so far is that there seems to be several birds, but they are spread out much more than last year, when it was so dry that the birds were concentrated around anywhere that held water. This year with water EVERYWHERE, the birds might be anywhere ... or not.

My legs are a little heavy, but me and the dogs are getting back in hunting condition, and now that all the family is on their way home after the birthday festivities, I'll be hunting a lot more.

I'll try to provide another update in a few days.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2010
  9. predator

predator 12 pointer

Nov 23, 2006
    Leitchfield, Ky.
    LMAO, hope you make it through the next 3 weeks!!

I know you die-hards probably don't want to hear this, but us roadrunners had a record year in Saskatchewan this year. They had a mild winter and the birds were some of the largest I'd ever seen. Some of the best, if not the best, eating gamebird I've ever had.

10. Birdman

Birdman Cyber-Hunter

Feb 26, 2002
    Paintsville, KY, USA.
    Then I'll be left without any adult supervision for the next 3 weeks.

Look out northwoods. Thanks for the report and good luck.

11. grouseguy

grouseguy 12 pointer

Hunting is getting better each day, although it will be getting warmer this week ... highs in the 60's and 0% chance of percipitation for the long range forecast. Hopefully, it will help dry things up some, but the bugs will be back out in full force.

I hit my best woodcock spot on Saturday to try to get the 14 month old into some easy birds, but a woodcock would of drown if he tried to find a worm in there ... 3 out of every 4 steps were in 6 - 8 inches of water and in some places nearly over my knee high rubber boots. Only found one woodcock, but managed to flush 6 grouse out of the water and kill 3 in an hour and a half. The pup didn't point any, but he got a good lesson watching his father work and did manage to retrieve his first grouse to hand, although it took a little coaxing for him to give up HIS grouse.

Had our guides meeting last night and I have 10 dates booked between the 10th and 29th, with probably a few last minute additions coming in along the way.

I'm in for lunch at the moment and we're going out this afternoon scouting some higher ground. Southern license plates started showing up this weekend, but not too many at this point. I'll try to update again in a day or two. Hope to see some of you guys in the next few weeks.

12. JonDunn

JonDunn 10 pointer

Dec 26, 2005
    Up the holler
    In less than 72 hours, we will be on our way! I cant wait!

Hope your having a good time Grouseguy an all the others who are north at the moment!

Last edited: Oct 4, 2010
  13. PCoGrousehunter

PCoGrousehunter Spike

Jan 21, 2008
    Butler Kentucky
    Know what you mean JonDunn, we're leaving at 2 p.m. Friday, get to Park Falls around 3 a.m. and start out early Saturday, hunt till dark, can't wait, can't wait, can't wait. Are you guys hunting in eastern Wisc this year? Seems like I remember you posting that is where you started last year and then moved west for a week. May remember that wrong.

Upland Chessie, we went to Michigan for four days week end before last. Didn't get up a lot of birds, more woodcock than grouse. Only our second year there. We found a bunch of clear cuts. Great looking habitat, but not a lot of birds. But, only an 8 hour drive so probably will keep going back for the early season hunt each year.

14. uplandchessies

uplandchessies 10 pointer

Mar 20, 2002
    Florence, Ky, USA.
    PCGH,

Sounds like you're hunting close to where we hunt. I was expecting to see a lot more birds. This was probably the lowest flush count we've had in 11 years. Looked like the cover had been worked rather hard before we arrived, though.

15. JonDunn

JonDunn 10 pointer

Dec 26, 2005
    Up the holler
    Yes, we will be goin on the eastern side. The same place I spent the first week last year. I just hope the numbers are about the same as last. The reports Im getting say they are good numbers, but I think they are programmed to tell you that anyhow.