North to the Northwoods!

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by JonDunn, Aug 30, 2010.

1. JonDunn

JonDunn 10 pointer

Dec 26, 2005
    Up the holler
    Has anyone ever took a car up north? Im seriously thinkin of puttin the dogs in the trunk and taking it...

2. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    Looks like I get to head north with a little bitch dog that will be in the throes of passion. If my calculations are right, she'll have that lovin' feelin' until Oct 3, then she'll start to ease out of it. We leave later that week. I'm hoping she's on schedule, and the male dog in the group will find her only mildly interesting.

Dang females. I'd have her spayed but the breeder let me have the dog under the condition that I wouldn't, so he can potentially breed back to her some day. I'm giving him a deadline to make up his mind, and then her puppy-making parts will go bye-bye.

3. brettfrancis1

brettfrancis1 6 pointer

Oct 26, 2006
    Danville, KY
    I've used my car with the plastic crates in the back seat. I had to get the dog in it shut the door and then slide it in place so I could shut the door. It was a tight fit. I gave up and bought a hitch for my car and a small trailer.

4. jarrodcombs

jarrodcombs 6 pointer

Feb 23, 2007
    salvisa ky
    I would't try taking a car this year. With all the rain they have got recently the roads are in horrible conditons. Some of the locals are saying that several of the roads are closed at the moment and fourwheel drive is definatley needed on most. I will be there friday, if my verizon card works up there i will give a report on conditions

5. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    Bawdy is a front-seat only kind of girl, you know that.

6. uplandchessies

uplandchessies 10 pointer

Mar 20, 2002
    Florence, Ky, USA.
    We opted to rent a car this year. Only one dog and she's small, so it was feasable to not drive my SUV. Just 5 more days.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2010
  7. Birdman

Birdman Cyber-Hunter

Feb 26, 2002
    Paintsville, KY, USA.
    Anyway, I plan to arrive in WI on September 24th and stay till October 31st and give MYSELF a birthday present of nearly 40 days of hunting, training, guiding, eating, drinking, being merry and just overall LIVING LARGE.

Tried to call the OLD BOY, to wish him a Happy Birthday, the waitress said he was at the fire pit, good thing or bad, we'll have to wait and see.

8. grouseguy

grouseguy 12 pointer

Birdman,

Thanks for the thought. It was the best birthday of my LIFE ... grousegal, Mom & Dad, both kids and 50+ of my best northwoods friends celebrated in style.

We didn't hunt yesterday, and quite honestly, didn't make it out very early today, but we did about 6.41 miles per my new pedometer (present) during mid-day and flushed 6 grouse and 5 woodcock, and put one of each in the bag, both over Ruff's point.

It wasn't a great day, but we hunted when we could, and tomorrow should show better results. As promised, IT IS WET, and both my son (KYCatBirdHunter, banned) and I went in over both boots and ended the day in wet feet.

Currently sitting at the Flambeau Forest Inn with a Knob Creek on the rocks, and waiting on a shaved prime rib sandwich basket.

I'll check in again when possible.

9. uplandchessies

uplandchessies 10 pointer

Mar 20, 2002
    Florence, Ky, USA.
    Happy birthday, GG. Enjoy your retirement up there.

10. Birdman

Birdman Cyber-Hunter

Feb 26, 2002
    Paintsville, KY, USA.
    Currently sitting at the Flambeau Forest Inn with a Knob Creek on the rocks, and waiting on a shaved prime rib sandwich basket.

Damn son, life sounds tough. I talked with Tom (MInn) Sat. morning, he and one of his sons were stranded at the house. There was six foot of water blocking him. The rest of the family was in town with his mother. They were suppose to get another 1/4 to 1/2 inch sat. Did you get any of that rain?

11. Birdman

Birdman Cyber-Hunter

Feb 26, 2002
    Paintsville, KY, USA.
    How many have you put on the ground? Are you having to retrieve with a boat. Where in the ---- are the smillies?

12. brettfrancis1

brettfrancis1 6 pointer

Oct 26, 2006
    Danville, KY
    I've been calling vets here today trying to get shots and a health certificate here around Lexington somewhere. I spent $21 a dog for both shots and a certificate last year in WV and the cheapest I've found around Lexington is $83 most places were over $100. Thats ridiculous for two shots and a paper.

13. Mtdrummer

Mtdrummer Spike

Jun 30, 2008
    Paintsville, KY
    Go to Rudolph Ousley in Prestonsburg. Best vet and best prices. He's a bird hunter and treats hunters right.

14. Birdman

Birdman Cyber-Hunter

Feb 26, 2002
    Paintsville, KY, USA.
    He's a bird hunter and treats hunters right.
    You've got that right.

15. BirdBuster

BirdBuster 6 pointer

Apr 4, 2010
    My brother-in-law is in Wisconsin, it sucks that I wasn't able to go with him. The first day he hunted, he moved 36 grouse in 4 hours and came out with his limit by 2 p.m. The second day he hunted, he moved 18 grouse before he killed his limit, it took him almost all day to do it. Today he got to hunt 45 minutes before he got rained out. He had moved 2 grouse. He is also moving alot of woodcock. The birds are spotty. He is moving 6 to 7 birds at a time.