North to the Northwoods!

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by JonDunn, Aug 30, 2010.

1. PCoGrousehunter

PCoGrousehunter Spike

Jan 21, 2008
    Butler Kentucky
    Grouseguy, if you have internet access up there, keep us posted on what is going on. On the snow sealing, I haven't had that much luck with waterproof products. Tried the snow seal. I think it came in a big yellow tube. Not sure. Used a hair dryer, and followed the instructions. Still didn't work very well. Any hints on waterproofing boots? Last year it rained/snowed 2 of the days we were there. Had major wet feet at the end of those days in spight of the gore tex boots.

2. grouseguy

grouseguy 12 pointer

PCo,

I agree ... once a boot starts to leak its pretty hard to get them sealed again ... if not impossible. I'm pretty sure the product I use is called "Sno-Seal" ... it comes in a jar about the size of a box of 28 gauge shells with a picture of a seal on the label, and it works as good as anything I've tried. I just googled it ... here it is:

http://www.campmor.com/sno-seal-ori...html?source=CI&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=10603WC

My best investment for dry feet has been a good boot dryer ... yeah, they'll leak again, but at least you're not putting on wet boots. Like I posted earlier ... I don't particularly like hunting in rubber boots, but I know just how wet its going to be this year and ordered a new pair that hopefully "brown" will deliver by Thursday.

4 working days and counting. I'm getting the dog trailer and truck box cleaned out and packed this weekend, and grousegal and I plan to be north bound and down early Friday and hunting by Saturday.

I don't have internet access at the house, but I will have my laptop and the Flambeau Forest Inn has Wi-Fi, so I should be able post an update every now and then from there.

3. KY Fowl Hunter

KY Fowl Hunter Fawn

Dec 28, 2008
    Elizabethtown, KY
    I'll be in Price County, WI the second week in November with an EP and an ES. Hope to have same or better luck(hopefully) than last year. I really like the cool weather, low hunter numbers then, and no ticks last year. Anybody else from KY going to be in Price County the second week of November? Good luck to all this season!

4. grousec

grousec 6 pointer

Jan 15, 2009
    mt sterling ky
    Year before last I couldn't go to Wis until the first of Nov, and it was the best trip i ever had. Last year I went the earliest I ever went 2nd week of Oct. and had my worst trip. So I have said I will never go that early again. I really enjoy going later. Have a great trip!

5. G-Man

G-Man Fawn

Jul 11, 2009
    I agree with November hunt. I'll be going in early October as usual for two weeks but the best hunts I've had were first week in November. No hunters and weather was perfect. I've got two friends hunting now in the Nicolet National Forest and in two days have got up 50 to 60 birds. They said that they have never seen as many hunters this early as they have this trip. They are camping in campers and tents where some trails start. Very wet and the birds are super spooky.

6. JonDunn

JonDunn 10 pointer

Dec 26, 2005
    Up the holler
    Im foaming at the mouth as I type this. I just cant wait to get away with good dogs and good friends. Id rather be around these dogs than 98% of the people I know.

7. PCoGrousehunter

PCoGrousehunter Spike

Jan 21, 2008
    Butler Kentucky
    Amen to that, JonDunn!

The down side of the peak of the cycle is the number of hunters.

Leaving for Michigan tomorrow for a 4 day warm up trip.

8. grousegal

grousegal 6 pointer

May 9, 2008
    Grayson, KY
    grouseguy and I are leaving Friday for Phillips. :D The dog trailer is ready to go--we've got it packed all except for the dogs. I'll be getting clothes ready tonight, then we'll load almost everything else up Thursday night and head out super early Friday morning. His parents are already there, and our daughter and son-in-law are going tomorrow. The big 50th birthday party is Saturday night. GG will be up there until October 30th , and I will be there for the first and last weeks of his stay. Looking forward to taking out my 13 month old pup Max for his first hunt!!!:cool:

We'll try to keep everyone up to date on what is going on. Happy Hunting to all!!

9. BirdBuster

BirdBuster 6 pointer

Apr 4, 2010
    grousegal,
    I thought I was going to have to get you to talk to my wife, but she brought it up herself that she wanted to go to Wisconsin next year with me and our 2 dogs. It thrills me to see women excited about hunting. Don't let grouseguy lie to ya. The best 50th birthday present he could get, is to have you hunting with him. I have watched my wife kill her first turkey and her first deer. I was more excited about it than she was. Now she wants to go hunt Wis. That is my birthday present. Good hunting! May God Bless!

10. grouseguy

grouseguy 12 pointer

OK ... I'll have to show off grousegal a little ... this is her first grouse over point, of one of her all time favorite dogs "Raider" (circa 2000). She was walking a trail and I went in on the point to hopefully flush the bird across the trail for her to get a shot. Well, sometimes things really do work out like we plan ... I watched the bird fold, and when I came up out of the thicket, grousegal was pumping her shotgun with both hands over her head, shouting "I got it ... I got it"!!! CLEARLY, I still have a very vivid and proud memory of that day.

Show this to your wife and have her send grousegal a PM and she'll be glad to give her a womans point of view on the northwoods.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 21, 2010
  11. Birdman

Birdman Cyber-Hunter

Feb 26, 2002
    Paintsville, KY, USA.
    You all have a save and great trip. Happy Birthday big guy.

12. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    13 days and a wakeup...

13. Mtdrummer

Mtdrummer Spike

Jun 30, 2008
    Paintsville, KY
    28 days and a wakeup.............................

Is that too far away to be counting?

14. jarrodcombs

jarrodcombs 6 pointer

Feb 23, 2007
    salvisa ky
    5 days and Im headed north

15. brettfrancis1

brettfrancis1 6 pointer

Oct 26, 2006
    Danville, KY
    I'm down to 22 now. Getting excited.