North Dakota

bird whisperer

12 pointer
Aug 16, 2012
Hog Town USA
Scouting has always been key for us take some good binos. Most of the land owners and locals are so polite I feel like I have gone back in time 30 years. If you hunt small potholes dont expect to have repeat performance if you hunt the same hole twice. You can hunt the same field several days in a row and the birds will keep on using the field. But there are so many pot holes that when they get shot at in one they just move to another. We had a 6 min 4 man limit in a small pot hole one morning went back two days later and shot only 5 mallards. Also dont be afraid to take advantage of all the P.L.O.T.S. ground. You also can find great diver sooting on the bigger water. The first year we went up it had been super dry and there was almost no small water and hunting the bigger permanent water boddies saved the trip. Depending on the week you go you could be hunting in T-shirts on Monday morn and be 19 degrees and high winds on Tuesday. Hope your ready for some serious wlaking, almost always you will have to walk all the gear into your spot. Best of luck Im sure you will have a great trip.

bird whisperer

12 pointer
Aug 16, 2012
Hog Town USA
Also make sure everyone is carrying there own game in there own pile in there vehicle when you are traveling. Road side game checks stations are common. I have also been pulled over by C.O. While scouting just to be checked.

wildman6

6 pointer
Nov 17, 2008
on the lake
Take a rake with you for brushing your blinds. Also keep in mind that landowners up there only have to have to property posted on the corners or every mile whichever comes first. Landowners in that area are very nice, ask for permission and most will give it to you. Have fun and take pictures.

keith meador

Got the Spotted Fever
Sep 18, 2003
Grindstone Branch, KY, USA.
If you gain permission on private ground, ask about using the 4 wheeler. The family that we stayed with out there were willing to let us use one, but we didn't bring one along. Use good judgement. If it is too muddy, respect the property owner and walk your equipment in.

bird whisperer

12 pointer
Aug 16, 2012
Hog Town USA
On the wheeler I would rather use the space it would take up to hall more gear. All the open to public ground is walk in access only if its PLOTS , Water fowl management are or D.U. Ground. When we,re lucky enough to find someone who will let us drive in the field we drive a truck out as long as the ground is FIRM. There are usualy access roads every mile. Also I always take a mud stool and an elivated dog stand for setting in cattails if we pothole hunt.

Wampuscat

10 pointer
Apr 10, 2009
Louisville
You will want the four wheeler. Buy sleds also, unless you like packing dozens of decoys,blind bags, layout blinds, guns, etc across large fields every single day.

grnhd

6 pointer
Dec 6, 2009
suwanee,ky
I've been going up there for about 13 years. Here is some tips.
Buy a sled,you'll need it,especially if hunting public ground. The four wheeler might come in handy and if you can haul it easily I'd bring it. Be prepared to spend a lot of time scouting. A lot of time. We usually drive as many or more miles scouting as we do the drive up. Bring binocs for scouting. Get a ND gazetteer. Don't pay to hunt. Some farmers may ask for money. Thank them for their time and move on. Nobody wants to get that crap started up there especially the locals. We do bring stuff for our farmers though as a thank you. I bring 30-40 pounds of whited out catfish fillets. Dad bring quarts of molasses,another buddy brought 20 pounds of shrimp. You get the idea. Don't hunt a roost. That will piss off the locals more than anything.If you see 1000 mallards sitting on a hole right at dark,thats a roost. Find where they are going from there and hunt it and you'll be able to kill birds for days in that area. We found a roost that held 3-4K mallards and found them hitting a small hole after hitting some fields. We shot limits for 3 days straight until some jack hole went and jump shot the roost. Bring a dog,you'll need it. That mud up there sucks the life out of you.
And most important have fun and be respectful of the fine people of ND.
20 days and if all goes well I'll be back up there.:eagerness:

Coot_Meurer

10 pointer
Nov 4, 2006
Not here anymore
I have been going up for 15 years and will agree with almost everything said below. Only comments would be - bring good bourbon as a gift and know the story behind it, be prepared to receive permission but it will cost you 15 minutes to 2 hours of talking with the owner. Plan your shoots - goose is only open till 1:00 PM except on Wed & Sat. In other words, if you have a good duck hole and goose shoot lined up, shoot geese in the morning and shoot the ducks in the evening.

We don't take a boat anymore, and neither do we take 4 wheelers. If the owner will let you drive across a field we just take the truck. If it is too wet then it is too wet for an ATV (don't tear up their fields).

Be prepared to DRIVE and scout. We often time will go 200 miles mid-day on scouting. Bring spice, in most of NoDak they only know what salt, pepper, ketchup, and mustard are.

Most of all - NEVER EAT LUTEFISK (ever) don't try it, don't look at it - RUN AWAY if someone offers you some.

I've been going up there for about 13 years. Here is some tips.
Buy a sled,you'll need it,especially if hunting public ground. The four wheeler might come in handy and if you can haul it easily I'd bring it. Be prepared to spend a lot of time scouting. A lot of time. We usually drive as many or more miles scouting as we do the drive up. Bring binocs for scouting. Get a ND gazetteer. Don't pay to hunt. Some farmers may ask for money. Thank them for their time and move on. Nobody wants to get that crap started up there especially the locals. We do bring stuff for our farmers though as a thank you. I bring 30-40 pounds of whited out catfish fillets. Dad bring quarts of molasses,another buddy brought 20 pounds of shrimp. You get the idea. Don't hunt a roost. That will piss off the locals more than anything.If you see 1000 mallards sitting on a hole right at dark,thats a roost. Find where they are going from there and hunt it and you'll be able to kill birds for days in that area. We found a roost that held 3-4K mallards and found them hitting a small hole after hitting some fields. We shot limits for 3 days straight until some jack hole went and jump shot the roost. Bring a dog,you'll need it. That mud up there sucks the life out of you.
And most important have fun and be respectful of the fine people of ND.
20 days and if all goes well I'll be back up there.:eagerness:

Latest posts