North Dakota and cheap duck gear!

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by Jonah Strauel, Sep 26, 2020.

1. Jonah Strauel

Jonah Strauel Fawn

Sep 11, 2019
    Liberty,ky
    Hello all, I have been a long time lurker of the waterfowl forum but never posted before.
    I live in South Central ky and have hunted ducks on public here for the last 3 years.in those three years I have killed a grand total of 11 ducks!the pickings have been pretty slim for a newbie learning to hunt ducks. I love it though. So this fall I decided to pursue a dream, and am headed out to North Dakota in two weeks with my familyfor two weeks of duck hunting !my question is this: does any body have any used duck gear that they would sell for cheap or rent? I am 25, work in construction, and have been blessed with a very understanding wife and three awesome kids. All of that to say, I am not going to go out a spend a bunch of money on brand new duck gear. So if anyone has any extra gear they are wanting to get rid of , or would be willing to rent, I would much appreciate it! Right now I have a dozen and a halve of decoys. I would like to get a couple more dozen.
    I would l also like some sort of a duck blind and a dog blind.

Also if any one has ever hunted nodak before and has any tips or suggestions, I am all ears! Thanks for reading

2. Marsh CallUser

Marsh CallUser 12 pointer

May 20, 2011
    Bowling Green, KY
    You need floaters, full bodies, or both?

3. Jonah Strauel

Jonah Strauel Fawn

Sep 11, 2019
    Liberty,ky
    Both would be great! Right now I just own 1/2 a dozen mallards, 1/2 a dozen gadwall and 1/2 a dozen assorted garage sale decoys. thank you!

4. Rod S.

Rod S. 8 pointer

Oct 20, 2004
    Pewee Valley, Ky.
    Where in Nodak?? Fields, potholes?? How many hunters?? I'll check & let you know. Expect more competition with Canada being closed for nonresidents. Oh & check your dates if you are planning on hunting WMAs or Plots as they will be closed for waterfowl to hunt pheasant. (Made that mistake)

Last edited: Sep 27, 2020
    hunt-4-life21 likes this.
  5. Gforcetrivers

Gforcetrivers 10 pointer

Sep 23, 2016
    Burkesville
    Going to ND in two weeks to hunt for Phez, sharpies and Huns. I may throw a half dozen deeks in truck too. Going to Beach ND with a buddy to hunt 32k acre ranch.

6. Jonah Strauel

Jonah Strauel Fawn

Sep 11, 2019
    Liberty,ky
    I am going to be in Mylo north Dakota Which is North of zones one and two. I am staying at my wife's great aunt who owns a row crop farm, so I am hoping to have some private land to hunt on. That is good to know about public being closed during pheasant season. My duck dog happens to be a gsp so I am planning on doing some pheasant hunting as well.

For the first week, it is just me , and then I have two buddy's coming up. They are both green to duck hunting and I am the one supplying all the gear!

I was planning on hunting pot holes as that would work better for a hunter with limited decoys and no blinds. But if I could round up some full body's and a aframe blind or lay outs, I would definitely try fields!

Gforcetrivers likes this.
  7. Rod S.

Rod S. 8 pointer

Oct 20, 2004
    Pewee Valley, Ky.
    Thought I had a Mutt Hutt laying around but guess I sold it. Good luck!!

8. Jonah Strauel

Jonah Strauel Fawn

Sep 11, 2019
    Liberty,ky
    Thanks! I will post pictures

9. Giveem3outdoors

Giveem3outdoors 12 pointer

Jan 18, 2009
    ohio county ky
    You are getting into prime decoy price season again. I usually try to buy right after season goes out when the guys with the flat bill hats and front only lift kits start trying to gather money for the next cool thing to do. Works out pretty good for me. Know it doesn't help for this trip but for future reference.

CRFmxracer likes this.
  10. Jonah Strauel

Jonah Strauel Fawn

Sep 11, 2019
    Liberty,ky
    I totally understand this is the wrong time of the year to buy cheap gear! I should have done some spring shopping too late now! For those of you who have hunted no Dak, is there any teal left in the middle of October? I am debating what decoys to buy I am looking at getting another dozen at least.

Would you all get mallards or some other duck like gadwall? I am not picky on what I shoot, I will thrilled if I can shoot limets of ringneck ducks and gadwalls or spoonies.
    I would appreciate any advice

11. hunt-4-life21

hunt-4-life21 12 pointer

Sep 26, 2007
    Butler Co.
    I hope you do well. Competition will be extremely high this year because of the border not opening. I'm no expert, but there's no way I'd drive 20+ hours and not have everything I need. If there's not a way to invest $500-$1k in decoys, I'd save up and wait a year. 2-3 dozen FB mallards, layout blind, 2-3 dozen floaters, and a spinner would be at a minimum of what I'd take. If geese is your thing, 2-4 dozen FB's/silos.

12. Rod S.

Rod S. 8 pointer

Oct 20, 2004
    Pewee Valley, Ky.
    Yea could be some teal. If you hunt 1 or 2 on a pothole you have enough decoys. Field, if you have any goose decoys take em with a duck spinner & your good for ducks. Hide is main thing not a bunch of decoys unless you are snow hunting.

13. bondhu

bondhu 12 pointer

Jul 3, 2015
    Battle Run
    You are setting yourself up for a kick in the nads. ND is a bird hunters dream state and your excitement is justified. But first trip there you are going to spread yourself thin and be stressed out. ND duck hunting is about the feed bag and that time of year its everywhere. I have a friend and his boys have a trailer full of decoys they would loan you or rent you but they are to far west of you for that to work. But maybe if you have kin there and they know someone who has the equipment up there. Hell of alot better than packing it there. They all field hunt and put spreads of hundreds of decoys out. Nothing like southern duck hunting from what I have seen. Pot hole region is a sob to set up on a body of water and decoy ducks because first shot and the ducks move to the next pot hole 1/4 mile away.
    What you do have going for you is the GSP so Pheasants and Huns should be good I think to far east for Sharpies. You are pretty close to devils' lake and they hunt the hell out of ducks over there. Maybe you could get in with somebody or stop at the local scheels and ask around the store maybe they can hook you up. You sound like a true want'em coming in with cupped wings to calling and decoys kinda feller.
    But when all else fails, you can always do like I will be doing in 3 weeks. If ducks are on the pond, give them a good ole ky jump shooting.

Drahts am I steering him wrong ?

The flocks of ducks you will see are unbelievable. Good Luck to you !

14. Jonah Strauel

Jonah Strauel Fawn

Sep 11, 2019
    Liberty,ky

Thanks for the advice! I have an idea of what I am getting into, and I think that my expectations are reasoable, remember I hunted probably 1/2 a dozen times last year here in ky with out firing a shot! So what might be mediocre hunting for some of you will be incredible for me. As far as compition goes, it doesn't scare me, at my excuse for a duck hole here in ky there are always 2 or three groups of hunters, and I had some even break the 200 yard rule on me last year I am also in in extremely good shape so I will be looking for the spot where the other guy can't/ won't haul a bag of decoys and gear in. You are right ,I really want some up close and personal decoy action,to me that is the ultimate in duck hunting( I am not a sky buster) but I am not against some good old fashioned jump shooting either!

I am beyond excited to take my dog hunting. I always wanted a hunting dog since I was little and for some reason as I got older I picked gsp as my breed with out knowing a lot about it. Long story short I picked up an awesome little female on a whim from a guy who was selling them in a sportsman warehouse parking lot in Wyoming. It could have been bad buying a dog with out doing a lot of research,but I got insanely lucky. It turned out her mom was a field trial champion and boy, does she have the brains! She was my first attempt at training a dog, thank you gun dog magizine! She is definitely not a field trial trained dog, but she is pretty good obedienced trained and defently has the drive. Living in ky the only thing I have hunted with her is ducks and a couple doves . I had herswimimg in the creeks as a pup, so she has retrieved the couple ducks I've killed the last two year with out a hitch! S she has also had Ilots of practice sitting in one spot ( which is hard for a gsp to do) when when ever we never killed any thing! I am confident she will do well on ducks but not sure on pheasants but definitely looking forward to trying!

So I'm taking to to heart the advice about having a good hide seriously. I am considering the avian x a frame blind. While it is a little pricy , it is the same price as 3 layout blinds and my dog can fit in it. Has anyone ever used one? Will they be fine for pot holes?
    I do have a spinner and am thinking of getting another one. Also I am thinking about getting 1/2 a dozen green wing teal and 1/2 a dozen ring neck decoys. Any suggestions on the gear ,what brands to get would be great. Sorry about the long post!

15. Giveem3outdoors

Giveem3outdoors 12 pointer

Jan 18, 2009
    ohio county ky
    I've got the altan, I believe was the brand name panel blind. From Rogers, I haven't actually used it yet but have had it set up. It's just the half but my buddy bought one also so can set them back to back for a whole blind if you want. It's alot cheaper than the avian. My personal opinion I like a well hidden layout blind. The lower profile I can keep the happier I am. Like I said it's totally my opinion I know guys are killing them out of panel/a frame blinds.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2020