NODAK trip being planned.

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by Cape Hillian, Jan 16, 2019.

1. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    Some are some isnt. You can get some color on Mallards and other Ducks. Teal are full. I like shooting full color to. But I like killing and eating Ducks to. But with Canada Specks and Snows to. Well worth the trip.

2. Drahts

Drahts 10 pointer

Apr 7, 2015
    KY
    Kansas can be really good, I've just found the good hunting there for waterfowl is usually a bit later than when I'm out there. Mid Nov is typically when they get really good for ducks in the places we've gone. In my trips out ND and SD don't start seeing (except this year) the big northern mallards til early Nov and then they need frozen out and pushed out south to get to KS. It's time to be serious bout deer then so I like to be home then. First 10 days of Nov ND, SD can be off the charts field duck wise and is a great time to be out there. I also like South Western Nebraska.

Canada is just something every duck hunter should experience. True, the birds are not fully plumed, your adult mallards will still look good, big ole green heads and most other adult drakes will look ok. Your young of the year will be baby drakes in plumage, but the epic shoots will more than make up for the color. We went third week of Oct this past fall, and brought three birds back to mount. Unfortunately my buddy up there, his yard dog got two of them off the tailgate when we were in the garage cleaning birds and well he ate em! :) It's all good! :) My drake Widgeon made it home safe! :) I took a buddy (his first time) and he thought he'd seen some duck/goose feeds before. First time he saw a REAL feed all he could say was "OMG"! It's fun seeing someone see that for their first time.

If you have the kind of hunting you can find out west or in Canada it will totally ruin you for duck hunting here. Maybe not so much if your in the western end of the state where the waterfowl hunting can be above average, but back here in EKY I just don't even try much. We do all our hunting out west with 3-5 doz silos, a dozen fully flocked full body mallard field decoys, and a dozen mallard floaters. Now down in SD & ND you might want to have a larger water rig as some of the walk in areas that are roosting birds on water you will need enough to influence them your way. The other thing I have found in my travels, I have never met nicer folk, always treated like family anywhere we went.

3. grnhd

grnhd 6 pointer

Dec 6, 2009
    suwanee,ky
    This year will make my 17th trip to ND. I always go the first two weeks of October because of work but the locals say early November is prime time. Be prepared to drive a lot scouting, don't be shy about knocking on doors, treat the farmers with respect and leave it better for the next guy and remember it's not all about killing but the experience.

FOWLER2671, Cape Hillian and Rod S. like this.
  4. Cape Hillian

Cape Hillian Spike

Jul 23, 2017
    Hendo
    going up nov 1st staying
    thinking about the robinson area right now. going up same time yall are.

5. bigpuddin43

bigpuddin43 12 pointer

Feb 21, 2007
    bucktown
    better get your rooms booked. called last week and the cabin we always stay in was booked for our usual week. Had to wait a bit later this year to book due to brothers schedule. but we got one for two weeks later so sounds like we will all be up there the same time we will leave the 1st as well.

Cape Hillian likes this.
  6. Justduckin036

Justduckin036 Fawn

Oct 15, 2018
    Campbell County
    Yeah we just found a place to stay. He said he’ll hold it for us but he doesn’t actually let anyone book until March 1st. So we should be good on place to stay. We won’t be too far from ya! I’m sure if we see KY plates out scouting we’ll stop and chat for a bit! Really looking forward to it. Big change of pace from the rude ass Locals in Arkansas.

7. bigpuddin43

bigpuddin43 12 pointer

Feb 21, 2007
    bucktown
    where are yall staying? are yall gonna hunt the 2nd or scout? we always scout the first day up there then will hunt the 3rd thru the 9th

8. Cape Hillian

Cape Hillian Spike

Jul 23, 2017
    Hendo
    we have a place outside of Carrington booked for Nov 1st thru the 10th.
    can't wait!! where are yall stayin?

9. Cape Hillian

Cape Hillian Spike

Jul 23, 2017
    Hendo
    we're about 3 miles from Arrowwood refuge.

10. bigpuddin43

bigpuddin43 12 pointer

Feb 21, 2007
    bucktown
    we are in Jamestown. we did some scouting around one of the refuges last year tons and tons of birds but also tons and tons of posted signs and they are posted cause they are leased. hope yall have good luck hit the gravel and kick up some dust to find the birds off the beaten path.

Cape Hillian likes this.
  11. Cape Hillian

Cape Hillian Spike

Jul 23, 2017
    Hendo
    Yeah just hoping to get in on a few good hunts. taking two vehicles and planning on splitting up and scouting all over. Good luck to you too. might see you up there.

12. bigpuddin43

bigpuddin43 12 pointer

Feb 21, 2007
    bucktown
    Cape shouldn't have any problem just get away from the refuges. we have never had any trouble finding birds and getting permission. if you cant get right were they are just get in their path and put out a good spread and you will kill. we found a feed last year of probably 10-20 thousand birds but they roosted right next to the field and some guys from Minnesota were parked next to the field and gonna stay the night so we went across the road they shot about 3 volleys and we killed birds till lunch time and ended at 23 just couldn't get that last duck.

Cape Hillian likes this.
  13. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    Good deal and good luck.
    We got our trips booked. Canada first week of October Kansas second week November.

Cape Hillian likes this.
  14. bigpuddin43

bigpuddin43 12 pointer

Feb 21, 2007
    bucktown
    dh do yall freelance or go with a guide. any trouble with bringing birds across the border?

15. Justduckin036

Justduckin036 Fawn

Oct 15, 2018
    Campbell County
    We’re staying an hour or so south of DEvils lake. There’s only four of us going so hopefully we can have a couple good hunts! Either way it will be an adventure.

Cape Hillian likes this.