NODAK trip being planned.

bigpuddin43

12 pointer
Feb 21, 2007
bucktown
get a place to stay as soon as possible. watch out for deer season I have heard getting permission the week before and during deer season is tougher we go the third week of October every year this will be our 4th year.

Oct 15, 2018
Campbell County
Yeah deer season is a big worry of mine but that’s the only week we can go so I guess we’ll have to make it work or stick to PLOTS land. Sure hope they’re not froze up! Don’t want to hyjack the OPs post but where did you all stay because it doesn’t look like there is much up there besides crops and ducks!

Low Bird

6 pointer
Apr 4, 2005
ol man kelsey's crick
I've hunted the Jamestown area. It was an ok trip. Went the week of Halloween and the migration was a little behind. Have been going to Canada the last few years and nothing compares!

Rod S.

8 pointer
Oct 20, 2004
Pewee Valley, Ky.
Agree on if you go during deer season its a lot tougher on land to hunt. Also don't go when NR aren't allowed to hunt the refuges, think that runs a week or so. If you can swing it its worth the extra miles & hassle for Canada.

bigpuddin43

12 pointer
Feb 21, 2007
bucktown
go close to moving water. everything I have read says November is the best time for field hunting mallards but we do ok in October. its a different game out there if its not posted you can hunt it. plots stuff for the most part is pasture or hay fields from what we have seen very little crop ground on plots and we go for the field hunting. Leave the roosts alone!!!!! be good to the landowners get some gift cards to take with you and offer them to landowners when they let you hunt. we have one landowner that we call on the way up every year and he gives us exclusive permission on his place.

Drahts

12 pointer
Apr 7, 2015
KY
DH only problem I have with SD is you have to draw a license to waterfowl hunt. But there are tons of area to hunt ducks there and the ducks are there! My typical trip is Canada a week, then a week each in ND and SD. I have also done ID as BRSUTTON said it's super hunting too. When I do ID, I do MT and WY with it. I put in for SD when on that swing and if I don't draw it's all good I just chase upland or stay a second week in ND.

DH13

12 pointer
Jan 13, 2012
Shelby county
DH only problem I have with SD is you have to draw a license to waterfowl hunt. But there are tons of area to hunt ducks there and the ducks are there! My typical trip is Canada a week, then a week each in ND and SD. I have also done ID as BRSUTTON said it's super hunting too. When I do ID, I do MT and WY with it. I put in for SD when on that swing and if I don't draw it's all good I just chase upland or stay a second week in ND.
Yep on the draw system. Canada will ruin you on Duck hunting that's for sure. We hunt 10 days in Canada when we go. Then usually a S.D. trip. This coming year after Canada we are trying Kansas.

Latest posts