NODAK trip being planned.

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by Cape Hillian, Jan 16, 2019.

1. Cape Hillian

Cape Hillian Spike

Jul 23, 2017
    Hendo
    Anyone ever been? We have a group going next November and was wondering if anyone had hunted there much.

2. Giveem3outdoors

Giveem3outdoors 12 pointer

Jan 18, 2009
    ohio county ky
    I have some buddys that go do the freelance thing. It's never worked out for me to go yet. But I'd love to. They usually do pretty well and have a big time. That's about all I know about it.

Cape Hillian likes this.
  3. FOWLER2671

FOWLER2671 12 pointer

Sep 11, 2009
    Evicted from Aintry'
    Make sure none of the group takes a shizt in a pit!!

Cape Hillian likes this.
  4. Justduckin036

Justduckin036 Fawn

Oct 15, 2018
    Campbell County
    When are you planning on going up? My group is leaving the day after Halloween. First time up there for us as well. Have y’all figured out where you’re staying yet?

Cape Hillian likes this.
  5. bigpuddin43

bigpuddin43 12 pointer

Feb 21, 2007
    bucktown
    get a place to stay as soon as possible. watch out for deer season I have heard getting permission the week before and during deer season is tougher we go the third week of October every year this will be our 4th year.

6. Brsutton86

Brsutton86 12 pointer

Sep 19, 2009
    Harrodsburg, KY
    Went once it's a fun place to go. Like mentioned I'd get a place to rent now. I'd also try to stay away from big towns and devils lake area to have less competition.

Cape Hillian likes this.
  7. Justduckin036

Justduckin036 Fawn

Oct 15, 2018
    Campbell County
    Yeah deer season is a big worry of mine but that’s the only week we can go so I guess we’ll have to make it work or stick to PLOTS land. Sure hope they’re not froze up! Don’t want to hyjack the OPs post but where did you all stay because it doesn’t look like there is much up there besides crops and ducks!

Cape Hillian likes this.
  8. Low Bird

Low Bird 6 pointer

Apr 4, 2005
    ol man kelsey's crick
    I've hunted the Jamestown area. It was an ok trip. Went the week of Halloween and the migration was a little behind. Have been going to Canada the last few years and nothing compares!

9. Rod S.

Rod S. 8 pointer

Oct 20, 2004
    Pewee Valley, Ky.
    Agree on if you go during deer season its a lot tougher on land to hunt. Also don't go when NR aren't allowed to hunt the refuges, think that runs a week or so. If you can swing it its worth the extra miles & hassle for Canada.

Cape Hillian likes this.
  10. bigpuddin43

bigpuddin43 12 pointer

Feb 21, 2007
    bucktown
    go close to moving water. everything I have read says November is the best time for field hunting mallards but we do ok in October. its a different game out there if its not posted you can hunt it. plots stuff for the most part is pasture or hay fields from what we have seen very little crop ground on plots and we go for the field hunting. Leave the roosts alone!!!!! be good to the landowners get some gift cards to take with you and offer them to landowners when they let you hunt. we have one landowner that we call on the way up every year and he gives us exclusive permission on his place.

Cape Hillian and Brsutton86 like this.
  11. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    I like South Dakota better in the pot hole region. A lot of public and private ground you can hunt. LOTS OF WATER AND CROP LANDS.

Cape Hillian likes this.
  12. Brsutton86

Brsutton86 12 pointer

Sep 19, 2009
    Harrodsburg, KY
    After going to Idaho I won't be back to ND. No competition, more birds, and beautiful views.

13. Drahts

Drahts 10 pointer

Apr 7, 2015
    KY
    DH only problem I have with SD is you have to draw a license to waterfowl hunt. But there are tons of area to hunt ducks there and the ducks are there! My typical trip is Canada a week, then a week each in ND and SD. I have also done ID as BRSUTTON said it's super hunting too. When I do ID, I do MT and WY with it. I put in for SD when on that swing and if I don't draw it's all good I just chase upland or stay a second week in ND.

14. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    Yep on the draw system. Canada will ruin you on Duck hunting that's for sure. We hunt 10 days in Canada when we go. Then usually a S.D. trip. This coming year after Canada we are trying Kansas.

15. Justduckin036

Justduckin036 Fawn

Oct 15, 2018
    Campbell County
    After this season I’m ready to be ruined on duck hunting

I wouldn’t mind going to Canada but I do like shooting birds with some color. Are they really completely brown still in early October in Canada?