nocks for bolts

Discussion in 'Crossbow Forum' started by rock802, Jul 6, 2012.

1. rock802

rock802 10 pointer

Dec 13, 2005
    primrose ky.
    was looking at ordering some bolts for the crossbow I got, what is the difference in the square and half moon nocks? other than the shape..

2. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    Some crossbow manufactures reccomend the nock style used....such as Horton & Parker use half moon knocks.

On the flip-side.....Excaliber uses the flat knocks.

In either case they(manufacture) usually dont reccomend switching to a different style than what they deem safe to shoot from their crossbow. In certain cases using a flat knock where your suppose to be using a half moon..... the string when triggered could ride above the bolt causing a dry fire situation.

So...in a nutshell... buy bolts with the style knocks you use now and theres no worries.... and honestly theres no real advantage to one over the other.

3. matrobw

matrobw 6 pointer

Jan 31, 2006
    Louisville
    If you are going to replace the nocks might I suggest lumenoks. Make arrow retrieval very easy. Lost 3 arrows last season and then put the lumenoks on them and haven't lost once since

4. rock802

rock802 10 pointer

Dec 13, 2005
    primrose ky.
    ok, thanks guys.. I traded for it and don't have any bolts now...but it is a horton so I will get the half moon type!!

5. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    My dad has an older Horton and he wanted to update his bolts and I caught the Cabela's brand on sale and bought him some. The 20 in half moon nocks shoot great in his bow and are good quality. Just thought I'd throw that out there if you want quality and want to save a few bucks.

6. happy

happy 6 pointer

Dec 12, 2008
    central city
    I thought I would add first, all Horton crossbows shoot moon nock in there arrows. If you shoot flat nock's from your Horton you will get a dry fire and may cause damage to your bow, possibly injury to your self and others around you. Bow's that require flat nocks can shoot either flat or moon nock's. Good luck with your bow.