No shows on Quota hunts

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by naturalelite, Dec 3, 2008.

1. naturalelite

naturalelite 12 pointer

Nov 24, 2004
    NATTYVILLE
    Does anyone have any ideas on ways to keep the # of no shows on these quota hunts down. The state hunts have check in/outs I don't know if the day before allows enough time to make any changes but could still be stand by list available for the no shows. It would mean more money for the state and more happy hunters across the state.
    LBL could do something also. Maybe give the hunters up to 1 month before the hunt to back out. I know important things come up and change plans. I just think it would be beneficial to all parties involved if we worked toward a stand by list allowing more hunters the opportunity to hunt.
    I don't know if anything could be done about FT Knox due to the safety factors. Any thoughts or opinions.

2. AteUp

AteUp 12 pointer

Mar 14, 2004
    Luavul
    Do they factor in a no-show % when they set the number of hunter openings? If not, they should. Your gonna hit or mis on either side that way and there's no need for a back up list.

3. naturalelite

naturalelite 12 pointer

Nov 24, 2004
    NATTYVILLE
    I really don't know. I am hoping someone in the know can answer a few of those questions. I would assume they have to but when it happens in #'s like FT Knox was this year (supposedly 600 no shows) there is no way to factor that.

4. I'm thinking that when I used to hunt in the turkey quota hunts at LBL back in the 80s and 90s that we had to check in and out and if you didn't show up, it lessened your chances of getting drawn the next year.

I don't remember it being that much of a bother to check in and out and I think if you forgot to check out, you could mail something from home.

5. nutcase

nutcase 8 pointer

Sep 27, 2004
    Murray, Ky
    If your going to start with noshows, where do you classify the wimps that show up for 1-2 hours, turn into little girls and go home?

6. naturalelite

naturalelite 12 pointer

Nov 24, 2004
    NATTYVILLE
    Anyone that shows up has put for the time and effort to get there. Some even make several trips over to scout. I think they paid their dues. If a bunch of yahoos hunt around them and it is a safety factor I would think that is understandable even to the BIG HEAD gallery.
    Back on topic please.

7. nutcase

nutcase 8 pointer

Sep 27, 2004
    Murray, Ky
    Well when I scout for a quota hunt i usually try to call the locals i know when I'm in the area so I can can have backup location, so I can get the full hunt in.

Sorry back to the topic

Last edited: Dec 3, 2008
  8. mistertwister

mistertwister 6 pointer

Jan 18, 2008
    Williamstown, KY
    THe main question for me would be "how soon do people decide that they will not be participating?" Seems to me that if you have a scheduling confilct, after being drawn, that is more important, then there should be a way to opt out to free up your spot for the next person in line.

THe internet would be a wonderful tool for this. THey could require you to check in and confirm once you are drawn, with a confirmation number over the internet. (i would suggest that this be password protected and that no names or information be displayed to the world). Once you recieve your confirmation number in the mail, you log in and actually confirm that you are going to participate. Then i would suggest that you can un-confrm 2 weeks prior to the hunt, so that the next in line would have time to recieve a confirmation number in the mail and confirm. Once you un-confirm, that is it, no turning back. (keep in mind that all of these times and dates could be scheduled a little closer, as i do not know the process of applying, recieiving notification, and the hunt dates)

Having folks log in and confirm on the net would give the state a little better handle on who is actually planning on participating. Shouldnt be much more work involved with them, once someone confirms, they are locked in, if they un-confirm, the next in line gets a chance.

THis could very easily work in conjunction with those WMA's etc. that do require you to check in and out every day.

Just my .02. I am a data driven person and i would have to think that the more data that they could have at their hands, the better they would be and it would in turn give other hunters a chance if someone opted out for a variety of reasons.

chris

9. rme hunter

rme hunter 8 pointer

Dec 1, 2006
    Breckinridge County
    People hunt for fun just because one person sits all day and another leaves at 0930 that doesn't mean they are less of a hunter.

There are also conditions that may not allow people to hunt for 5 and 6 hour blogs.

This is what people do to relax.
    On the no-show issue a propose a stand by roster you show to the area you where assigned the weekend before. If there was an opening then you hunt if not you got up at 0400 for no reason.

10. naturalelite

naturalelite 12 pointer

Nov 24, 2004
    NATTYVILLE
    Nice post some good ideas here. This is kind of the stuff I was looking for. I don't know how cost effective it would be or if it would even be worth the trouble but I feel like it would be.

11. mistertwister

mistertwister 6 pointer

Jan 18, 2008
    Williamstown, KY
    Heck, if we can telecheck with our ssn, you could probably incorporate checking in to a quota hunt the same way. You could also un-check yourself in the same way as well.

Put a cutoff date as to when you can confirm or unconfirm, then the state could offer the hunts to the next in line.

Example: if they issued 100 confirmations to xyz wma, once those people got thier confirmation they would check in by phone. THey would then have until (X) number of weeks before the hunt took place to un-confirm if thier plans changed. At that time, the state could offer the unconfirmed spots to the next in line. It would have to be a requirement for a hunter to confirm by whatever means. Now, that said, i know that some would confirm and may not go through the trouble to unconfirm if thier plans changed. I would hope that a true hunter would be willing to go to the trouble to free up a spot for someone else. You wont get it 100% but if 10 spots went unconfirmed, at least it would give 10 others a chance.

CHris

12. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    At LBL.... when it was under TVA... it was a strict check-in policy. You could check-in the day before or day of the quota hunt. I & most everyone would check-in the day before just so you did'nt have to fool with a line on the first morning of your hunt.

All they did was make sure you were legal as far as tags, reminded you of your permit limits & area... stamped your LBL quota permit "Checked-in"

Now ...they dont require a check-in... only a check out if you harvest and the check station was open.

I honestly dont have any suggestion on no-shows.. except for maybe implimenting check-in & check-out policies again... that way they could have a record of who was there & who was'nt. In-turn they would have to impliment some kind of back-out policy with a certain amount of time notification...and if you did'nt notify in advance or was'nt recorded at check-in.... your name would be kicked out of the draw for so many years.

Just speculating.... but probably the reason it was simplified or check-in dropped...was money & manpower to monitor this type of system. However in this computer age... it might be more simple than I think. On the other side of the coin... things happen for all types of reasons why someone did'nt show. I'd have a hard time punishing someone with a legitiment reason... accident..sickness..death in family. In many cases.. it might be hard to be able to notify in advance.

I'd say for a stand-by hunter system... be very doubtfull to see it materialize.. be sorta hard to get information checked / run through the system on short notice.

13. AteUp

AteUp 12 pointer

Mar 14, 2004
    Luavul
    How about a barcode on your permit and a unmanned walmart type scanner set up at the checkpoints going in and out of LBL? You drive through and scan your permit in and out. Those selected to hunt are given a time period where they can call in and give up their spot, say 4 weeks ahead of time. That gives them time to mail out more permits for the next in line. If you don't call to cancel or scan your permit, you lose future quota hunt eligibilty for a certain period.

14. lances

lances 10 pointer

Sep 12, 2004
    Lake Cumberland KY
    I agree that most hunts have several no shows. A local park hunt close to home has very high no shows but it takes 3 years to get drawn. I t makes no sense to me. I wish they had no show lines like fort campbell use to have. Even if you are late it is better than not getting to hunt.

15. Mepperson

Mepperson 12 pointer

Apr 7, 2005
    Murray, KY
    Does it really matter that much? If you don't get drawn you get a pref point and the person that was drawn goes to zero. You have an advantage over them the next draw whether they hunt or not.