No reason to work

Gforcetrivers

12 pointer
Sep 23, 2016
Burkesville
That is not what I said. I said you can’t legislate away the law of supply and demand. You can’t, you just can’t. Doesn’t work that way.

Example, I was a c-store manager several years ago during the last forced minimum wage hike. Corporate immediate froze all perform raises then they began a methodical increase in every candy bar, stick of gum, soda pop, pack of smokes, etc, until their bottom line was back where it was before the forced wage hike. Everybody paid more including the minimum wage employees and in the end corporate made what they always made. Consumers paid for the hike, nullifying the forced wage hike until equilibrium was once again reached. You can’t and never have been able to legislate away the economic law of supply and demand. Period.

Yes, Like I said the "Law of Supply and Demand Is What It Is". I don't disagree with you. But the other points being made were that the Goberment can and does to some extent manipulate supply ( supply of money, supply of commodities, supply of goods ). In the end "The Law" equilibrates and things balance out. My point is that even though the Government Legislates things that affect quantities or levels of supply and demand DOES NOT eliminate The Law of Supply and Demand just the x and y axis. Thats why I think everyone is on somewhat the same page.

Wildcat

12 pointer
Jan 7, 2002
Ledbetter, Ky.
Us retired guys have not seen any increase in our Social Security. What happen to C.O.L.A's (Cost of living adjustment) which is suppose to increase with inflation and cost of living.

As said before, it's coming later next year. But we have already passed the COLA rate and will keep going on past it every month next year. If you think the 2022 COLA is a big one wait until you see what the COLA will be for 2023.

In truth, the COLA is a joke and fooled a ton of people. They make the COLA based on "certain increases" that happened LAST YEAR. If it's still going forward, which it WILL, you are only getting help for some of it LAST YEAR and will have to eat the increased costs every month.

Here's how it works. You get the COLA in Jan which will help in Feb but the inflation in Feb 2023 will easily eat it all up so by March 2023 you are on your own until NEXT JAN and the new CLOA comes out. Suckers thought it was a great idea when COLA was a bill being sold without real math shown to the puiblic.

Buzzy

8 pointer
Oct 15, 2013
You can’t legislate away the law of supply and demand. You can’t, you just can’t. Doesn’t work that way.

Example, I was a c-store manager several years ago during the last forced minimum wage hike. Corporate immediately froze all performance raises, then began a methodical increase in every candy bar, stick of gum, soda pop, pack of smokes, etc, until the bottom line was back where it was before the forced wage hike. Everybody paid more including the minimum wage employees and in the end company profitability was returned to the same or approximate level pre forced wage hike. Consumers paid for the hike, nullifying the forced wage hike until equilibrium was once again reached. After awhile when the bottom line was back to good they reinstated performance raises. That’s how it works in the real world, business owners will not eat increased expenses they pass them on to the customer. Commonsense 101. You can’t and never have been able to legislate away the economic law of supply and demand. The law is at work in price of goods and services as well as in labor.
That is not supply and demand, the price was not influenced by a surplus or deficit of goods.

Buzzy

8 pointer
Oct 15, 2013
Yes, Like I said the "Law of Supply and Demand Is What It Is". I don't disagree with you. But the other points being made were that the Goberment can and does to some extent manipulate supply ( supply of money, supply of commodities, supply of goods ). In the end "The Law" equilibrates and things balance out. My point is that even though the Government Legislates things that affect quantities or levels of supply and demand DOES NOT eliminate The Law of Supply and Demand just the x and y axis. Thats why I think everyone is on somewhat the same page.
Yep

aaronc

12 pointer
Jul 21, 2009
Leitchfield
That is not supply and demand, the price was not influenced by a surplus or deficit of goods.

The wage hike placed a premium on labor. Same as if there was a deficit of labor and it cost more to get help,..whether it was natural or manipulated in the end it didn't really matter. That expense was passed on to the consumer.

Little FR

12 pointer
Nov 10, 2021
West Kentucky
The wage hike placed a premium on labor. Same as if there was a deficit of labor and it cost more to get help,..whether it was natural or manipulated in the end it didn't really matter. That expense was passed on to the consumer.

I think in 25 years. Ditch digger will be the highest paying job in the US. We have too many folks that wanna wear a suit and tie to work and make more than their parents. My day will shine, hopefully I’ll be retired by then.

Little FR

12 pointer
Nov 10, 2021
West Kentucky
o_O nope. Just statement of fact.

Must be a nurse?

I wanted to be a physical therapist, went to college. Graduated, hated it. I can’t be inside. I’m like a caged animal if I can’t breath fresh air and see the sunshine. I think everyone should do what they love and follow their dreams but we can’t all do what makes the most sense and money is not what drives me.

aaronc

12 pointer
Jul 21, 2009
Leitchfield
Must be a nurse?

I wanted to be a physical therapist, went to college. Graduated, hated it. I can’t be inside. I’m like a caged animal if I can’t breath fresh air and see the sunshine. I think everyone should do what they love and follow their dreams but we can’t all do what makes the most sense and money is not what drives me.

15 years in a factory was all I could do. Bailed out cold turkey and went to nursing school. That was 10 ish years ago. Been doing pretty much weekends only Fri/Sat the last 7 years. Compared to 7 days a week in a factory that could shut down any given second it is a significant improvement...totally different life. All the crooks running these hospitals along with covid has pushed our rates through the roof...I simply still do my minimum mostly, that's 1 extra shift a month....so 3 weeks of 2 days a week and 1 (3) day week. The schedule is the gold $$ for me. The only thing I chase is my interest and heavily involved with the kiddo.

All that being said if I had it to do all over again I'd be an ornithologist or something along those lines and never look back. Things work out like their supposed to..I'm not complaining and happy as it gets.

Bullshit, the law of supply vs demand is at work in the labor market as well as the price of goods and or services and this is a perfect example of supply vs demand in the labor market. Forced wage hikes do not work, per my example, because you can’t artificially dick with the equilibrium. I can’t help it if you’re too stupid to understand this.

Buzzy

8 pointer
Oct 15, 2013
I’m not arguing that companies do that but passing on expenses to the customer is not an example of supply and demand. The price of that good did not change due too scarcity. “But ohhhh it does cost more because of the raise”. No the price rises to keep the same amount of profit as used in drakes example. Just “who” got that money changed.