No one wants to just hunt anymore

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by bigbonner, Sep 29, 2019.

1. bigbonner

bigbonner 10 pointer

Aug 5, 2015
    Is it just me or does it seem like that most hunters just want the spot to kill trophy deer.
    Every one that has asked me about hunting , the first question is there trophy deer there 140" or bigger.
    They all seem to want a guarantee that they will have success of killing that monster of a lifetime deer . I don't know of any one who can guarantee a successful trophy kill.
    Doesn't anyone want to just go into the woods and hunt?

2. model70

model70 8 pointer

Jan 11, 2011
    Western Ky
    I've had the same thoughts for quite a few years. Seems like you have to have pictures of the animal from birth till the kill and it's got to have a name. If it will fit in the bed of your truck you shouldn't have shot that. I for one can't look at a deer and tell how many inches it will score, don't really care! I don't know, guess that's why I hunt alone most of the time, I don't have to deal with anybody else expectations.

3. ribsplitter

ribsplitter Cyber-Hunter

Jan 19, 2004
    rush, ky, USA.
    It reminds me of bass fishing tournaments. If you can't make some kind of game for profit and or fame out of it most aren't interested. If they outlawed tournaments tomorrow the boat industry would crash the used market would be flooded by people quiting the game . I enjoy hunting and fishing very much . I will fish a tournament now and again mostly jackpots with friends and acquaintances which leads to a little ribbing at the weigh in . I love catching fish period doesn't matter what kind or where it's fun. Hunting, I just love being in the woods . I have killed everything from spikes on up through the years including does young and old . After alot of years of hunting I just don't want to shoot a little buck anymore . I will kill does ,and I'm not waiting for a monster but I do want a nice mature buck before I decide to pull the trigger on it. I'm not interested in mounting them or showing them off it's simply a challenge to myself and a hope that next year will be better.

4. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 12 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    The trophy hype ,seems to be the thing ,for a lot of today’s hunters.I sorta think it’s moved toward just a trophy ,similar to the way bass fishing is, just get the biggest .Todays hunters are making it more of a work related project, instead of a relaxation sport .Years ago it was hunt to eat, then it went to sport relaxing hunting, meat was a bonus , now it seems it has to be a trophy or nothing, kill some does to make a healthier herd.Some want to get freezer meat and some don’t ,just another indicator how ,our life as we know it , is changing.

5. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

You pretty much nailed it. They want the work done for them to kill a monster buck. May as well save up their money and hunt high fence.

model70 and Dark Cloud like this.
  6. bigbonner

bigbonner 10 pointer

Aug 5, 2015
    Yep and they want stands in place ready for the 160"+ kill in that special spot . There is no special spot nowhere , it either happens or it doesn't.
    I always hunted where I saw good signs and latter in the season deer will change their habits. Like last year where I always hunt opening morning there was no tree rubs but given a few days during rut the signs start appear.
    I love walking the woods anytime of the year when I get time. It doesn't matter if I am hunting or just walking .

7. Iceman35

Iceman35 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2008
    Boone County
    I’m as happy as a clam just filling the freezer with does. Sure I’d like to kill trophy deer, but over the last few years, I’m happy just hunting, and taking a buck that makes me happy, and no one else.

Last night was a perfect example of why I love hunting. Daughter and I sat for two hours with no deer, then they started pouring out of the woods at last light. Too dark to shoot, but we had two mature does and 3 fawns 10 feet from the blind. One of the fawns was sniffing and snorting like a hound on a trail. One of the mature does knew something wasn’t quite right, and stomped and blew every minute or so between bites of corn. The other doe could have cared less.

My daughter said she loved every minute of it. No deer on the tailgate, but a damn fun night in the woods.

8. keith meador

keith meador Got the Spotted Fever

I've been a deer hunter for over 45 years. I've never based my success in the field on a score. I've only had one deer scored. That was for a contest that we had on this page 10-12 years ago. Worrying about what someone else thinks about a deer I decide to harvest has never entered into my mind. My only concern has been freezer space. I'll also donate deer if the opportunity arises.
    I'm not going to shoot a buck just to say I've done it. Antlers do not define me, or my level of success. I won't shoot a buck because I need the meat. I know that hunters will do that, and it's their tag, to put on whatever meat they want.
    I enjoy outwitting an old doe.

9. T-wil69

T-wil69 10 pointer

Jan 16, 2015
    I only missed one day of hunting this season before I tagged a buck and since then I have been about every day trying to stick a turkey (hen), would like to have some turkey meat and just like being out there instead of on the couch, that being said as high as leases are now, if I was going to pay $5000+ to lease a farm for one year then I would like to know the genetics of the area in years past.

muddhunter likes this.
  10. KY Swamp Beagler

KY Swamp Beagler 12 pointer

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of western KY
    I enjoy watching deer do deer things when I’m hunting. I get excited seeing deer come through my little place. I think most hunters need to realize that not every property holds “trophy” deer - whatever that means. There is nothing wrong with taking a good buck in the eyes of the beholder.

I’ve focused a lot more on meat now that I’ve convinced the little lady that venison is good. She doesn’t understand the idea of just watching deer. She expects me to bring something home for the table. In her eyes I should have something to show for my efforts.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2019
    model70 likes this.
  11. mallardkiller

mallardkiller 8 pointer

Dec 27, 2008
    KY
    Horns dont eat to good....its all about how other people see them...they want to be on top....its like little league sports parents have took the fun out of sports pushing there kids to be the best of the best and in the spot light...people cant be happy with ordinary FUN....i work 60 to 70 hours a week i get plenty of stress there.. i dont want to do that in the woods...im more than happy with a couple mule faced does..

Dark Cloud, model70 and xbokilla like this.
  12. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    I will continue to say, a buck is a shooter if I want to shoot him. A couple does in the freezer and an opportunity just to spend time on stand works for me.

13. bstickin1

bstickin1 8 pointer

Jul 1, 2005
    Rocky Hill, Kentucky
    Lots of people want to just hunt and a trophy is whatever they kill and don't even have to kill to have a great season. Thing is, most people like that aren't willing to pay big bucks to do it. Usually the people that are willing to pay are looking for more than just a place to hunt. Probably wouldn't hurt to include turkey hunting with the lease too. I know I wouldn't want to pay much for a lease even if it had proof of good deer if I couldn't hunt whatever else I wanted to for a year. The world is full of people with more dollars than sense though so keep searching and you'll probably find someone. Maybe try advertising down south, I hear some think there's a B&C buck behind every tree in KY.

14. davers

davers 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2014
    Kentucky
    I for one enjoy getting out in the woods to Hunt, especially Squirrels. However the hunting is not good due to the hot & dry weather. I also enjoy a Deer hunt in the woods too, and I'll harvest either a Doe or Buck; and I am not really after the biggest antler spread or number of points on the buck's head. I have taken several trophy rated Bucks over the years, last one I bagged was back in 2009.

xbokilla and bgkyarcher like this.
  15. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    I am guilty of wanting to kill a large buck, but I don't pay a bunch of money to do so. I hunt for free on friends/family land. There are some nice bucks around my places I get to hunt. If I kill a good one, great. If I don't, which is normally the case, I still enjoy the hunts. I like to put venison in the freezer too.....

davers and xbokilla like this.