No Baiting or Mineral/Salt Blocks

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Snareman2, Oct 12, 2021 at 9:56 AM.

1. smashdn

smashdn 12 pointer

Nov 24, 2003
    Palmyra, Kentucky
    Can't speak for him but around here the block goes on the ground. Cattle lick it down to nothing and its time for another.

I've just been buying the apple flavored house blocks. They're a dollar cheaper than the apple flavored ones with a deer on the package.

Might attract horses instead though.

2. OLE RASPY

OLE RASPY 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2018
    Barren county
    I was hunting our river bottoms years ago. Only time I’ve seen this. We had corn that year and it was during rifle season after the farmer picked the corn. That morning a 7 point came all way across the field and stopped 30 yards from my stand. He picked up a half a corn cob with kernels on it and rolled it around in his mouth for prolly 30 seconds and then spit it out persay.
    I was watching it all. When he spit it out it was in the grass around edge of woods. He went on. He may have got a few kernels if it but it was sittin in that grass shining yellow still. He went on past me and I watched him swim the river. 30 minutes later a doe came out from exactly way he came from and followed his trail. She came all the way to cob of corn in the grass. She sniff it and then raise her head. She did that 3 times. Finally she took the same cob and rolled it around in her mouth till all the kernels was gone. Then spit the cob out. First and last time I’ve seen that. But I’m sure they do it all the time. Just sayin.

mudhole crossing and Nock like this.
  3. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    Dang. Not even an issue yet, and already discussing it. It’s going to happen. No doubt.

4. Michigander

Michigander 6 pointer

Dec 8, 2014
    Radcliff
    unfortunately this usually doesn't end well

5. Nock

Nock 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2012
    Butler co
    I’ve had pics of bucks swallowing whole ears.

OLE RASPY likes this.
  6. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    I've seen them pick the cob up, waller it around in their mouth, then choke and heave, lol.....

Nock likes this.
  7. Nock

Nock 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2012
    Butler co
    I ain’t got time to chew.

8. rlb165

rlb165 12 pointer

Dec 10, 2001
    I wonder how much this affected the youth season in these five counties.

9. DeerSkinner3742

DeerSkinner3742 Spike

Dec 28, 2009
    burlington ky
    As far as not running cameras because of not using bait, use mock scrapes. Speaking for myself I never really cared for looking at 3000 pictures of the same 3 does over a corn pile. Mock scrapes really give you more pics of what you're looking for.

10. cedar creek

cedar creek 10 pointer

Sep 7, 2014
    I’m not a big fan of bait but I like to feed corn during the winter to help the critters out little bit and am a believer in the minerals out there on the market these days, I have seen great results from mineral licks

11. bigbonner

bigbonner 12 pointer

Aug 5, 2015
    Cows goes in my feed barn on the concrete floor . The other is loose trace mineral salt and I pour it on the ground in the same spot each time .
    They will dig hoes where the salt melt in the soil. I have one place they have dug a hole as big as a car hood and knee deep.

12. Snareman2

Snareman2 12 pointer

Feb 25, 2007
    I’ve put corn and trophy rock out, the last six or seven years. I like it, mainly to see an inventory of what is around.

Yeah, I’ve killed some big deer away from the bait, but I don’t doubt it helps to hold the Does closer and thus get the Bucks closer. And, the deer are rolling with fat, it has to help some get through the year.

Although, all the deer should be fat and in good shape this year it is like walking around on marbles under the Oaks around here!

Campfire likes this.
  13. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    It's not good for cows lick mineral an salt off the ground?
    They are probably pissing an cramping in those same spots.
    They can pick up parasites an also more susceptible to blackleg.

NOCAMST and littlebear like this.
  14. bigbonner

bigbonner 12 pointer

Aug 5, 2015
    When it rains the salt goes into the ground. I have never seen where my cows have tried to lick the ground for salt . Only the deer lick the ground and with trail camera taking pictures.

15. jbake74

jbake74 6 pointer

Oct 16, 2010
    This may have already been discussed but it has already been proposed no baiting including minerals statewide in Ky next year. Food plots will be ok.