No Baiting or Mineral/Salt Blocks

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Snareman2, Oct 12, 2021 at 9:56 AM.

1. Campfire

Campfire 6 pointer

Oct 24, 2019
    Camp
    Not to sound to old but one
    Maybe but a bait pile or mineral lick is hard to hide. Just sayin.

2. Nock

Nock 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2012
    Butler co
    True but some people don’t care.

Campfire likes this.
  3. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    Be kind of cool to go back to the old ways that I grew up on.......

Campfire likes this.
  4. Campfire

Campfire 6 pointer

Oct 24, 2019
    Camp
    Your 100% correct.

5. bigbonner

bigbonner 12 pointer

Aug 5, 2015
    That does it , cut down all those acorn trees and all those chest nuts ever one has planted.
    Fence off all the corn fields and soybean fields so deer can not browse them.

I put out salt for my cattle in several places so they have a constant supply of minerals.

Carl and KY_Fried like this.
  6. shaman

shaman 10 pointer

Just some thoughts:

1) One of the biggest boons we've had since acquiring our farm 20 years ago happened 5 years ago. My neighbor to the north sold out. He'd been dumping $800 worth of corn annually near the back corner we shared. He freely admitted he was basically just feeding my deer. He seldom got a shot at a deer down there. What was happening was that the deer were coming in at night and taking advantage of the free smorgasbord. Once he left, the deer started making themselves far more noticeable. Daylight sightings of bucks skyrocketed, and we're still seeing a lot more deer now than we did before he left.

2) Let's just say a guy has been dumping 50 lb sacks of rock salt into the same spot every year. This ban on baiting comes in. The hunter complies with the ban and stops dumping rock salt in the hole. What about all the residual salt that's accumulated? I stopped refreshing a salt lick 10 years ago, and the deer are still visiting it.

3) Honestly, I've never seen the efficacy of baiting in the same way other folks do. Me? I tried baiting early on. I grew up hunting in Ohio, and bait was not allowed. When I got my own place in KY, I thought I'd find out what I was missing. Honestly, with all the acorns dropping around my place, the deer did not pay much attention to my bait. I tried corn, corn and molasses, corn and sweet feed-- nothing worked as well as putting up a stand next to an oak tree. Later in the year, the same was true about a patch of clover.

DaveO, aaronc and mykizha like this.
  7. mudhole crossing

mudhole crossing 12 pointer

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    Remember the 35mm trail cams? I hated them things lol. Pay for to get them developed and have of them didn’t have an animal on them. BUT, when u did get a buck in a pic u was beyond excited!!!

Snareman2, Ataulbe1, hunt and 3 others like this.
  8. Ezelkyhunter

Ezelkyhunter 10 pointer

Nov 28, 2013

Heck yes. I remember the first buck pic I got was a young 8 point with spindly antlers and I only got his nose and 1/2 his antler side view. I was on cloud 9!!!!

I remember even paying to get the speedy one hour development Bc I couldn’t wait. Heck I even destroyed some film if it still had exposures but I wanted to see what had already gotten it’s pic taken.

Nothing changed deer hunting more for me then cameras.

And those old 35mm cameras weighed a ton were the size of a cinder block lol

9. KY_Fried

KY_Fried 10 pointer

Nov 13, 2003
    Foster, KY, USA.
    I honestly don't see them doing away with baiting statewide no matter how bad it gets. Too many people will still do it and there's no way they have enough COs to enforce it and they know that. I haven't seen a CO during hunting season one single time in my almost 40 years of hunting.

hotdog likes this.
  10. mudhole crossing

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    I
    don’t see stopping baiting will have much of an effect on cwd spreading. U can’t stop deer behavior so how’s stopping baiting gonna help?

OLE RASPY and Meatstick like this.
  11. Campfire

Campfire 6 pointer

Oct 24, 2019
    Camp
    Keeps them from all eating in one small spot. In crop fields or Acorns in woods they cover large area. It isn’t natural for them to stand and eat in one spot. At least that’s what I understand to be the reasoning

12. mudhole crossing

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    I mean they still gonna lick on branches, each other, etc

smashdn, KY_Fried and Meatstick like this.
  13. KY_Fried

KY_Fried 10 pointer

Nov 13, 2003
    Foster, KY, USA.
    Exactly, and drink from the same little watering hole, bucks are gonna spar and fight, and oh yeah they're gonna breed. Common sence be damned is becoming the norm anymore.

Brody, mudhole crossing and Meatstick like this.
  14. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    You pour it out on the ground or put it in a mineral feeder??

15. hunter40502

hunter40502 8 pointer

Mar 5, 2014
    Washington County
    I know my opinion may be a minority. I actually would like the regulation, because I don't like baiting. I think it would be good for the sport.