NKU Basketball

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by ptbrauch, Mar 7, 2017.

1. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    I'm confused here. How did the Cats get hosed? They get to play close to home. Got a 2 seed when they were predicted as a 3 a week ago. For once the NCAA didn't try to set it up for them to have a matchup with Duke or Ville in their bracket and they are quite capable of beating UCLA and NC and they've played them both which is an advantage. UCLA got hosed a bit being in the South. I actually think NCAA did a good job this year. Not many arguments can be made for teams getting "screwed" by being left out of the field this year. Should be a fun 3 weeks.

drakeshooter likes this.
  2. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    The cats potentially playing whichita state in the second round is kinda stupid. The cats being paired with ucla as the 3 seed is kinda stupid. The fact that UK will play NKU in the first round is BEYOND stupid...but who cares? I really really like the UK team and where they are headed. Let the madness BEGIN!

3. ptbrauch

ptbrauch 12 pointer

Nov 10, 2004
    The OC
    Last year, I think, I signed up for the NCAA ticket mailing list. The first email they sent me a couple of months ago, I ignored. I opened the second one and saw I could still get tickets for Indianapolis, but they were all upper level, high rows, so I passed. It was like $500-600, I think, for a pair of all-session passes. I passed on them. Kinda wished I had bought them now.

4. Iceman35

Iceman35 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2008
    Boone County
    I'm confused too. In the history of the NCAA tournament, has UK ever not gotten "screwed"?

5. Getting "screwed" is not losing in the months of December, January and February and then going undefeated in your regular season conference schedule before losing on a last second 3 in your conference tournament championship game and still getting left out in favor of some 12 loss, .500 in-conference ACC scrub. That is getting "screwed".

Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
  6. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 12 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    This bracket is about as good as any,if they come to play like they can ,they can beat anybody in the country.If they don't come out and play as a team in every game ,they're going home anyway.I don't like seeing in state teams,paired together but in the end ,I guess it don't really matter.I think most of pairings are all set up for TV viewings and ratings.

7. Tim T

Tim T 12 pointer

Mar 29, 2007
    Shepherdsville
    "Beyond stupid?" This is exactly what the NCAA said the pod system was for!

8. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    I promise you that the overwhelming majority of nku fans are primarily uk fans. It would have at least been better to pair them with Louisville. That way uk fans and northern fans could root for each other. As it stands now, the amount of gold and black in the crowd will be significantly less because they are playing UK.

9. Iceman35

Iceman35 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2008
    Boone County
    I agree completely. I'll also say, should a miracle happen, and NKU beats UK, everyone will suddenly turn into NKY fans because of the state ties, and 90% of them won't be able to tell you where it's located.

drakeshooter likes this.
  10. KYBOY

KYBOY 12 pointer

Apr 21, 2005
    Floyd,co..Kentucky
    There are bandwagon fans of every sport. Look at the Cubs fans that came out of the woodwork last year. Or the seahawk fans when the played the patriots,etc..Worst of all the Warriors fans..

11. Iceman35

Iceman35 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2008
    Boone County
    I know. As a lifelong Cubs fan, I can't stand it. Boils my blood. As do all bandwagon fans.

Though I understand it, I don't agree or participate in rooting for other teams based on same state, conference, etc.

12. ptbrauch

ptbrauch 12 pointer

Nov 10, 2004
    The OC
    I saw part of an article that said that playing UK was one of the best things that could have happened to NKU in terms of exposure for the program. It was something about how now people all across the country had to take a look at them to see if they could be one of the 15-2 upsets. The local intrigue is making people look at them harder.

I believe the same article also said that 80% of the NKU campus are UK fans.

13. Iceman35

Iceman35 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2008
    Boone County
    Not sure I agree with the 80%. My son does special olympics swimming on NKU's campus. We walk through the co-Rec that has the pool plus workout facilities, basketball, etc for the student body. I don't see a whole lot of UK shirts around.

I'd be very curious where that author got his info from.

14. Tim T

Tim T 12 pointer

Mar 29, 2007
    Shepherdsville
    That is totally irrelevant to how they seed and set the brackets.

15. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    What is irrelevant? Story line? Drama? Maximizing ticket sales and tv ratings? Wanna bet?

Dark Cloud likes this.