nikon or cannon

Discussion in 'Photography' started by furd, Jul 3, 2014.

1. furd

furd 6 pointer

Nov 20, 2012
    n.ky
    Trying to decide between cannon t5i or nikon d3200. Never owned a nice camera before so don't know much about em. Just wanting a nice starter camera. These two seem to be most popular in my price range but if there's another one out there I'm open to any. Any advice or suggestions yall can give me would be greatly appreciated.

2. riverboss

riverboss 12 pointer

Jan 26, 2009
    northern ky
    Nikon makes great stuff in the camera world.

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Tapatalk

3. bigpuddin43

bigpuddin43 12 pointer

Feb 21, 2007
    bucktown
    Honestly from what I have seen it depends how far you plan to eventually go with photography. Basically Nikon has better sensors and canon is top of the line in glass. With the same lens you will probably be able to get better pictures with a Nikon. But if you get serious and invest in better lenses then you can get better glass for the canon but it will cost you.

4. justdacehayes

justdacehayes 6 pointer

Oct 19, 2004
    Berea Ky.
  5. bigpuddin43

bigpuddin43 12 pointer

Feb 21, 2007
    bucktown
    Do your research before purchasing. Once you pick a brand it will always be cheaper to stay with that brand rather than switch because lenses for a Nikon will fit most other nikons unless you switch to a full frame. Same with canon. I shoot canon because I started with a canon film camera and I could use my lenses from it on my new digital camera. I just stepped up from the rebel to the 70d and it is a fantastic camera. Check out thephotoforum.com. Lots of great info on there for beginners.

6. Buck_Nasty

Buck_Nasty 12 pointer

Sep 23, 2009
    Laurel County
    bigpuddin43 has it correct. My personal opinion is that Nikon will give you better color right out of the camera but their glass is not as good as Canon. The Canon L Series glass is the work horse of many photographers. Mainly those into sports. During the next professional sporting event, take a look at the sidelines and notice how many L Series lenses are being used. For the type of photography I do, which is sports portraits, the Nikon and prime lens work excellent. I don't own any L glass for my Canon because as, bigpuddin said, it's expensive. However, if you get into Nikon's 2.8 glass like the 80-200 or 17-55, they aren't cheap either.

If I were to give you advice, go with what you like between those two because you will not go wrong with either. Both of them will serve you well and both companies are at the top in the photography world, and have been for many, many years.

7. Kick Forward

Kick Forward Spike

Feb 5, 2013
    Berea, Madison Co., KY
    I would strongly urge you to look at x-series cameras from fuji. If the x-e1 is in your price bracket, get it. I recently did some shooting with one and was blown away. The lens that comes with this camera is better than either kit lens offered by canon and nikon, the camera has many more features, and I believe it has a better digital sensor than either as well. The x-series cameras from fuji are reinventing digital photography right now and are all the rage. If you have a lot of experience shooting manual before the advent of digital, then you'll like the setup and user experience of using one of these cameras. The reason those two cameras are the most popular in this price range, is because nikon and canon are the most popular manufacturers. I've been shooting canon all my life, since I got into slr photography, but will be picking one of these up (likely, the xpro1) shortly.

For reference, I shoot with a canon 5d with L series glass.

8. KHAdmin

KHAdmin 8 pointer

Aug 17, 2012
    If I had a choice between Canon or Nikon, I will go with Canon. But right now I have an older Sony A200 and looking to upgrade to an A65. Let us know what you end up getting!

9. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
  10. bigpuddin43

bigpuddin43 12 pointer

Feb 21, 2007
    bucktown
    The mirror less have came a long way but they will always have a lag of what's in the viewfinder and what's actually in front of the camera. Action shots you almost have to anticipate what is gonna happen. Plus because of their limited use lens selection is not as good as a dslr.

11. Kick Forward

Kick Forward Spike

Feb 5, 2013
    Berea, Madison Co., KY
    That's definitely true generally speaking, but the fuji is very fast. I wouldn't personally be concerned with that. Up-sampled images compared to my canon with a full frame sensor and using L glass looked just as sharp. And I wouldn't use any other brand lens on it, not even leica.

12. Cornpile

Cornpile 12 pointer

Dec 1, 2006
    Kornfield County,KY
    I shoot Canon,have for years.Nikon and Canon are both great cameras.If you want the sharp,colorful photos ,glass is where its at.
    Spend your money on the best lens you can afford ,like the Canon L series. Learn your camera and how to set it,,
    Remember,its the person taking the pic that determines how good a shot turns out......some of the worlds best photos were taken with
    really cheap cameras.

13. furd

furd 6 pointer

Nov 20, 2012
    n.ky
    Thanks guys for all the great info. Probably leaning towards nikon right now but definitely not committed. Goin this weekend to check em both out closer and actually hold em in my hands. Dont know that ill ever spend the money on a lens like the L series but who knows. Seems like when I start a new hobby before I know it I'm all in. Thanks again.

14. furd

furd 6 pointer

Nov 20, 2012
    n.ky
    Nikon it is. Now I gotta learn it. Lotta buttons on this thing.

15. KY Helim

KY Helim 6 pointer

Jun 13, 2014
    Good choice on the Nikon. I've had the d3200 for years and it's been a great camera.