NIGHT TIME HUNTING FOR Predators.

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunting' started by Austin, Dec 26, 2011.

1. yotechaser

yotechaser 6 pointer

Jul 2, 2010
    no warning shot, KY.
    Ahhh come on now fellow.......I was just funnin with you....

you do have the right to your opinion......I think........

size 12.....they may run small as I have trouble killin em in the day..:)

2. Jimmie in Ky

Jimmie in Ky 12 pointer

We had it 2000 through 2005, the year coyote was listed as furbearer. We also had some other problems that year(2005). It made the question of ecallers come up as illegal for coyote during furbearer season. Many phone calls and several discusions with this one and that one we got that question settled.

For fall 2006 you got ecallers legal for all furbearers. Jimmie

3. yotechaser

yotechaser 6 pointer

Jul 2, 2010
    no warning shot, KY.
    Thanks for the reply. I must have been absent during those years as I never knew it was legal to hunt them 1/2 hour after sunset....

Was this for all of KY. residents or just high population areas?

4. riverboss

riverboss 12 pointer

Jan 26, 2009
    northern ky
    What cracks me up is how all you here is how the orange army is so unsafe during rifle season and guns should be banned, and know some of the same who complain want to give those same hunters the ability to go out and hunt at night! this just amazes me if half of the hunters are unsafe during the day and shoot what ever moves how do you think it will be in the dark even with a light? I have no doubt it could be safe if only certain people could do it but realy do you want the same guy that is hunting the farm next to you out there with a gun shooting at night? I realy doubt it. I know 41 other states allow it but some states let you marry same sex do you want that to? I have no problem with extra time in the field but there are alot of people who dont need to be in the field but the buy there liscense just like you and I.

5. cityslicker

cityslicker 8 pointer

Jan 11, 2010
    Hart county
    I still don't see how if night hunting was legal that in would put landowners or farmers in danger of having pets or livestock shot. The only way they'd have to worry about it is IF they gave permission to someone to be hunting on them. Where I hunt in Indiana we know where we can and can't shoot at night OR day. There was one night where I called in multiple coyotes on a couple of stands, but we only got a. Shot at one because it was the only safe shot. The others we passed because of cows or houses and barns. It would have been the same thing had it been day time.

I mainly want to hunt at night when the days are short because I work 3rd shift and it limits my day time calling. It's not about being easier it's about having more options, just like e-caller vs. hand calls.

I can see how there were problems before when no lights were allowed, no way I'd shoot at anything by moonlight and hope it was a coyote. With lights there's no question and if there was it's simple, don't shoot.

6. yotechaser

yotechaser 6 pointer

Jul 2, 2010
    no warning shot, KY.
    10/4 river boss........we have finally found something we agree on ........If same sex marriage ever happens here in KY. I am moving to a State that dont have it.

I can tell you that you are fretting over nothing as KY. will never allow lights to be used at night again. But if they would I would be first in line..
    Have you ever gone out at night to locate dogs?? If not you should try it. Heck it is their natural time to be on the move, and you would be amazed
    at how easy it is to locate them with dog vocals, or even sirens. It is how I locate places to hunt.

7. riverboss

riverboss 12 pointer

Jan 26, 2009
    northern ky
    I can understand someone wanting to have more time but be logical about it when someone get mad and it will happen or something goes wrong and it will happen who will get called and yelled at and threatend with a lawsuit? The state of Ky, and land owners give permission everyday to hunters who do careless things that cause them trouble we have a lack of respect for others that has unfortunatly found its way into the hunting community by the me generation you know! me want me want crowd that doesnt care about anyone but them selves the majority of hunters would probably be against it if it was voted on and the same for the property owners in the state but the me generation wouldnt care and i believe the state is smart enough to know that. You cant call and complain about gun hunters and then expect the state to just forget about it when you ask them to let the same people hunt at night expecialy when there are programs in place to fix the problem such as trapping and neusance control along with 365 days of hunting.

8. riverboss

riverboss 12 pointer

Jan 26, 2009
    northern ky
    Yes i have located them at night ive been hunting them for 23 yrs there isnt much i havent tried, i use to hunt Braken co alot a buddy and i killed 52 in 2 months all with shotgun he has sinse passed and i dont get over there much it was loaded with coyotes.I dont see it having a chance of happening at night and if it ever did it wouldnt last.

9. yotechaser

yotechaser 6 pointer

Jul 2, 2010
    no warning shot, KY.
    I have been pursuing this relentlessly for about two years now.. Apparantly there was some confusion in 2000 on the way the regs read and alot of people were hunting them at night with no light. But I was told it was never intended and rewritten to clarify. Although some COs werent sure. Jimmie, I think you are absolutely correct about taking severe limitations. There will never be any night hunting again in KY. with the use of lights. I have been told numerous times that it just wouldnt be changed after correcting it back in the early 90s and then again in 2000. I was told by e-mail from Mrs. Patton that the no light, full moon issue hasnt been talked about yet as far as she is aware. But lights are out......period.

10. Jimmie in Ky

Jimmie in Ky 12 pointer

Laura came on after it was over.She's only been on the job a few years. So she was never in on the discussions that went on. Talked to one fellow over the phone that was about as big a horses patoot as I ever ran into. A lot of e-mails and tried to talk with commisioners. Boatright wouldn't even answer calls and the other was just down right rude. I don't know about our present comisioner, I have been told he is a decent fellow to work with.

But our problem is not, and never has been the ethical legal hunter!!

It is the same sort we deal with every year stealing our wildlife. The guys you hear brag about taking a 100 ducks a day. The fellow who brags about selling deer carcasses for 75 a piece.Guy's who use Ky in their sigline and location asking about how to work with a red lense while hunting, on the net.People who would break every tresspass law we have just for the chance to kill a hog if they knew where they were. People with a devil may care attitude about firearms handling, they see it they shoot it, with little reguard as to where that bullet may land if they miss. Oh, and lets never forget the classic road hunting poacher who hunts 24 -7. Many of you do not see these as enemies, but I dang sure do!! They are nothing but thieves and the courts do not deal with them as such!!

If we want this we have to work within the current laws as they are now. Light laws and tresspassing issues are a big hurdle. We have to come together and come up with a method and system that could work. ID of target is not a big problem during the five nights a month we could use, been there and done it. Shotguns with 4buck or bb loads are more than effective within their limitations. Your sights on the weapon are the largest problem with setup methods that work. Remember , we have to work with no projected light of any kind, this cuts out all electronic sighting systems. I did find a solution to this,btw. Cut out the e-callers and you cut out noise that alerts and bothers folks, newbies do not understand volume control.

But heres the rub to all this. Nobody wants to have to work for anything. They want it as easy as possible. They want lights, ecallers and anything else they can get that they think will make it easy to do. They want things handed to them. I have heard it called the me generation attitude, but I think it is most folks in general. Its why this sport has such a high turnover rate, the learning curve is huge. Every time you change methods you are starting from scratch. Hunting at night is so totally diferent from daylight it isn't funny.

Nobody wants to work for what they might be able to get now to get our foot in the door. Jimmie

11. yotechaser

yotechaser 6 pointer

Jul 2, 2010
    no warning shot, KY.
    I know what you mean.....I have talked to some of those horses on the phone myself recently.
    This has been a new battle for me (only started it a couple of years ago) I got a final confirmation of NO!!!! on the night with lights.
    Sounds like you have been here before. You are correct also about volume control in general (even daylight) most fellows
    with e-callers dont realize how little sound it takes for a coyote to hear it. And how little it takes to spook one into the next county.
    Night would be no exception. It looks like me and you and maybe a handful are the only ones that are even interested.

12. Jimmie in Ky

Jimmie in Ky 12 pointer

I been in this fight for years. And there are much more than a handful that would be interested and do it legal whatever methods we got.

There was even a time a few years back , some wanted to put a season on them(coyotes) , believe that or not. That fight didn't take long.

Some of us even discussed a predator hunters and trappers ascociation for this state. But I am getting older and tireder and losing patience to head up such a thing. But it would give us a voice we do not have now. And it could also have some side benefits with furbuyers coming to us with more sales oportunity as well, if we organize right. With more sales oportunity fewer animals would be thrown in the ditch. Been more than a few 20 dollar bills thrown away the last couple of years.

Joint operations with the trappers ascotiation would also give us more oportuntiy for gatherings to learn what is needed to put up fur and how its graded as well. I met several of them at a trappers gathering some years ago, good bunch of fellows. I believe it could work to all our benefit. Jimmie

13. yotechaser

yotechaser 6 pointer

Jul 2, 2010
    no warning shot, KY.
    I disagree with you about the majority of hunters being against it. Just go back and count them up on this thread. I think you made your real intentions known in an earlier post about losing that big buck.

As far as the rest of what you said I cant really make it out.

14. riverboss

riverboss 12 pointer

Jan 26, 2009
    northern ky
    Wrong!! the big buck part was just that Bowhunters as a whole will not vote to allow night time hunting they are the only group in Ky that keeps getting more time in the woods, All of our repersenatives in Ky have been voted in with archery club votes they are a force in numbers that cant be denied, I could care less about a stupid deer just give me one week and i will be done deer hunting i go to keep others off my property. You cant judge numbers from one forum that is mainly new hunters to the sport of coyote hunting and are discusted because they cant kill one everytime they go out. I have alot of places to hunt and i bet not a single owner would be thrilled with night time hunting or there neighbors. You are wrong on your if you think everyone wants hunters shooting after dark you are the minority.

15. kydirtdog44

kydirtdog44 6 pointer

Dec 23, 2011
    PENDLETON CO
    iI UNDERSTAND THAT EVERYONE WANTS MORE TIME TO HUNT, HECK SO DO I BUT WHERE RIVER BOSS AND I LIVE HERE IN PENDLETON CO I THINK IT WOULD CAUSE MORE PROBLEMS HERE THAN NOT, U KNOW U WOULD HAVE PEOPLE SHINING LIGHT ACROSS FIELDS ON HOUSES AND ON FARMERS LIVESTOCK I WASNT GOING TO SAY THIS CAUSE ALOT OF PEOPLE DONT LIKE THE KIND OF HUNTING I DO (WHICH IS COONHUNTING)DONT GET ME WRONG I LOVE TO COYOTE HUNT BUT WHILE HUNTING AT NITE PEOPLE ALWAYS THINK U R UP TO NO GOOD,WHEN FENCES GET KNOCKED DOWN THEY SAY DANG COONHUNTERS, DEER HUNTERS DISPISE US,THEY THINK THE DOGS CHASE AWAY THE DEER ,BUT THAT CANT BE FURTHER FROM THE TRUTH, IVE SEEN DEER BEDDED 30 YRDS FROM 2 HOUNDS TREED DIDNT EVEN MOVE ,BOTTOM LINE IS IF U R OUT THERE AT NITE PEOPLE WILL CAUSE PROBLEMS AND THE LOCAL COs IN THE WILL NOT APPERICATE HAVE TO GET UPAT 2 IN THE MORN TO COME CHECK ON A COMPLAINT,